Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: If you had to LED/LCD 1080 or 1440?  (Read 1497 times)

rbarr110

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2023, 04:02:41 pm
  • I already built my own arcade controls!
If you had to LED/LCD 1080 or 1440?
« on: February 01, 2022, 06:40:34 pm »
Wondering what peoples opinions on LCD/LED resolutions for an emulator cabinet.  I know it is the wrong aspect ratio and isnt ideal for old MAME games or consoles etc.  But if you "had to" go with an LED/LCD monitor, what resolution would you choose between 1080 vs 1440.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:26:13 am
Re: If you had to LED/LCD 1080 or 1440?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 12:24:33 am »
correct me if im wrong but aint all retro games including psx if you want to do consoles, are they under 480p? so why bother with 10800p? when i use lcd, i just use regular vga stuff.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2023, 04:02:41 pm
  • I already built my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 01:02:27 am »
correct me if im wrong but aint all retro games including psx if you want to do consoles, are they under 480p? so why bother with 10800p? when i use lcd, i just use regular vga stuff.

1. I would like to have a larger monitor.
2. There are several hundred easy to get options at those resolutions for pretty cheap.
3. Older lower resolution monitors are ....old and will likely fail sooner than new hardware. And if the monitors are newer at those resolutions, they tend to be smaller (at least what I have found through my searches). 
4. I dont want a massively deep cabinet, I want to keep it a bit slimmer - so no CRT
4. I may be using the machine for modern generation fighter games that can make use of nice resolutions. - Here is why I would consider 1440

I am not trying to create a true to original replica and will likely be scaling up to make use of the real estate.  However, I want to know if anyone has opinions on any detriments or bonuses by going with either resolution for emulation.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 03:37:28 pm »
well you've obviously made up your mind on this already as shown by the extensive justification.

Just buy the 1440 or whatever and be done with it.