Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade OSD, super resolutions and porch values  (Read 3931 times)

jimj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 10:55:09 pm
Arcade OSD, super resolutions and porch values
« on: January 28, 2022, 10:31:37 pm »
First, I apologize for asking something I'm sure has been asked before, but with Google as my witness I can find a post on this...  :embarassed:

Second, when running Arcade OSD with a non-super mode I see a cross hatch display with a white border around the entire display and a white X that's centered on the screen as is seen in this picture (I'm to able to post my own pictures in this forum):

But when I edit a super mode there are only white lines on the top and bottom of the screen and the diagonal white lines no longer form an X through the center of the screen, instead they make squished white triangles on the left and right side of the screen as shown in this picture:

I assume not having an X or white lines on the side is a normal/expected side-effect of using super resolutions?

Third, I've seen many posts about changing the front and back porch values to change the horizontal positioning of the screen.  However I can't change porch values for super resolutions.  I assume this is a normal/expected side-effect of using super resolutions?

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 01:53:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade OSD, super resolutions and porch values
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 04:37:31 am »
If u use groovymame super resolution are generated at the moment using crt0 settings in yours mame. Ini

So for change porches in groovymame u must edit that line in mame. Ini

makya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:40:11 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 07:28:01 am »
The white lines and cross you describe are the same for me, I assume this is normal.

Modifying super resolutions porches works the same as for any resolution. What makes you think it's not possible?

Well if you are trying to change your current desktop resolution however it will look like your changes have no effect.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 06:03:52 am by makya »

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 10:02:55 am »
The white lines and cross you describe are the same for me, I assume this is normal.

Modifying super resolutions porches works the same as for any resolution. What makes you think it's not possible?

Well if you are trying to change your current desktop resolution however it will looks like your changes have no effect.

Thanks for confirming what I see is normal.  You also prompted me to figure out my porch problem.  It was a user error of course.  :)  For some reason with my super resolution modes I went into the "Edit modeline" menu when the porch settings are actually in the "Horizontal geometry" menu.

Now maybe I'll have chance of following the instructions here to use the porch settings to shrink my screen horizontally a couple centimeters to avoid the right side horizontal linearity issue (squeezed right side issue) with my KT-2914 Betson-Kortek 27" multisync monitor.

Another thing I'm not clear on yet are the pros/cons of using proch values to shrink my display horizontally versus just using the Betson monitor's OSD controls to achieve the same thing.  I assume if I had a good understanding of how to correctly use modelines, that by using porch values I could shrink the display for just the games that are affected by the linearity issue whereas using the Betson OSD controls would affect all games.

makya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 07:39:51 am »
The "edit modeline" menu allows to modify porches as well, just another way to do it.

Anyway be aware that modifying modelines in arcadeosd should not have any effect into groovymame, assuming you installed crtemudriver in dynamic mode.

The way I  use customized modelines is, like you are assuming, to avoid constant tinkering with monitor osd or pots.

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 05:29:21 pm »
Anyway be aware that modifying modelines in arcadeosd should not have any effect into groovymame, assuming you installed crtemudriver in dynamic mode.

Thanks for the reminder.  I'm using super resolutions and my understanding is that Arcade OSD's "Save changes" option doesn't affect GroovyMAME.  Instead I need to "Copy modeline to clipbard" and then use those values in Video Mode Maker.

For example, if I want to create a new "2560x238_58" modeline I believe could:
  • Edit an existing modeline (for example 2560x240_59) with Arcade OSD
  • Choose "Copy modeline to clipbard"
  • Paste the modeline into notepad, should look something like this:
    • modeline "2560x240_59 15.40KHz 58.78Hz" 47.43 2560 2568 2808 3080 236 243 246 262 -hsync -vsync
  • The first value is just a label.  Because I edited my "2560x240_59" mode it still has that label.  Therefore I'll update the label to "2560x238_58" so it now looks like this:
    • modeline "2560x238_58 15.40KHz 58.78Hz" 47.43 2560 2568 2808 3080 236 243 246 262 -hsync -vsync
  • Open Video Mode Maker and enter these commands to install the new modeline:
Code: [Select]
>>modelist import
>>modelist list
>>mode add "2560x238_58 15.40KHz 58.78Hz" 47.43 2560 2568 2808 3080 236 243 246 262 -hsync -vsync
>>modelist list
>>modelist install

Or if I wanted to edit an existing modeline I believe this method would also work:
  • 1.  Edit an existing modeline (for example 2560x240_59) with Arcade OSD
  • 2.  Choose "Copy modeline to clipbard"
  • 3.  Open Video Mode Maker and enter these commands to export the existing modelines to a file:
>>modelist import               
>>modelist export modelist.txt     

• 4.  Open modelist.txt in Notepad and paste in the new modeline from Arcade OSD over the old modeline I edited
  • 5.  Open Video Mode Maker and enter these commands to import and install the new/modified modelines from modeline.txt:
>>modelist import modelist.txt
>>modelist list
>>modelist install

makya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 06:28:17 am »
Well, I don't know about this method, what does it do? It looks like it does not affect gm to me, does it?

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 05:22:25 pm »
Well, I don't know about this method, what does it do? It looks like it does not affect gm to me, does it?
No, it doesn't affect GM.  I'm obviously missing a big piece of understanding.  However I got my original questions answered, so I'll keep reading and start yet another new thread if I can't figure this part out.  Thanks for your help.

makya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 06:42:56 am »
To have an effect in gm you can use crt_ranges. These use timings instead of lines so you have to convert your modelines accordingly (timings can be found in arcadeosd).

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 09:54:08 am »
@jimj

GM calculates its own modelines on the fly, that's why Arcade OSD changes won't affect it. GM uses its own crt ranges as reference for geometry and timings. Current use of Arcade OSD is to FIND the correct values in order to build a crt range that GM can use, not to modify the modelines directly.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 06:27:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies makya and Calamity.  I now understand that it's the crt_ranges that affect GM.  Unfortunately I more questions now.  :embarassed: In the STEP 3 - SETTING MAME UP instructions its last two steps are to generate and install modelines.  Since GM creates its own modelines are these last two steps necessary?  What uses these modelines?

makya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 06:41:23 am »
I do not use "Export settings to GroovyMAME" so I would say it's not necessary. I my understanding, it will copy VMM settings to mame.ini.

Otherwise, I see resolutions/modelines in arcadeosd as windows resolutions for your desktop and any other full screen software that does not create their own.

mrchrister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:39:26 am
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 05:19:54 pm »
The way I use custom modelines is per game or system in GM. I believe in the ini dir you can create for example neogeo.ini or dkong3.ini and copy your custom modeline (crt_range) in there.
I use static mode because I had some trouble with dynamic mode btw.

makya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 06:27:49 pm »
@mrchrister, what kind of issue did you get with dynamic mode?

mrchrister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:39:26 am
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 06:45:46 pm »
I believe Retroarch didn't work with dynamic modelines... TBH can't remember, was so long ago. But all of my 3 setups are running with static modes now, seems to work well. I just added all modes I know are compatible with my specific CRT.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 06:50:08 pm by mrchrister »

makya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 07:38:42 am »
Oh ok thanks.

@jimj, do you still have issues/things you do not understand?

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 07:42:48 pm »
@jimj, do you still have issues/things you do not understand?
I don't think there's enough space here to list all of my issues and things I don't understand!  :)

However, regarding Arcade OSD, VMMaker and GM I think I'm good now, thanks.  I appreciate all the help you gave me (and Calamity too).