Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Replacement Monitor  (Read 1541 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
Replacement Monitor
« on: January 28, 2022, 09:20:13 am »
Hi Guys,

What are my choices for swapping the CRT for a flat screen type monitor in my JAMMA cab? Is there a modern monitor that just works with arcade PCB's or is there a recommended converter board that will take an arcade RGB/C SYNC signal and output VGA? As cheap as possible as funds are tight right now.

My CRT has problems and I don't like working on those voltages, also I want to be able to just swap the VGA connector to use MAME instead of ARCADE PCB's at will.

I think my monitor is a 19" or 20" Hantarex MTC 9000, are they measured from the outside of the glass or inside the black band? I measured my monitor earlier and it's 20" from the very edge of the glass diagonally, the width is around 17.5" and height around 13.5" I could fit a bigger monitor in if i needed to as there is 21" width clearance inside the cab, but I would have to ditch the painted glass screen then as the apeture for the screen is only 15.75"x13.5" .

I'm in the U.K. so only want to buy something over here, I know some people will say don't replace a working (ish) monitor for a flat type, but I'm not comfortable working on it and I have two kids (almost teenagers) that like messing with the cabinet with me, so I really don't want them messing with those voltages anyway.

Thanks for any advice guys.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:06:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Replacement Monitor
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 09:53:23 am »
You are missing a good opportunity to learn how things work, and to teach your kids how things work.

Show them that people can learn to fix things. Even things that initially seem daunting.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 12:42:58 pm »
Discharging a CRT (if it didn't do it for you itself already anyway) is easy and not dangerous if done properly.
Then there is no power to worry about.

You could make an lcd work but for about equal money and possibly less drama you can repair, get repaired, or even replace that tube chassis.

Plenty here will offer help to make the tube work again!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 01:01:33 pm »
There's really not a super easy way to stick an LCD into an JAMMA cabinet and work with arcade boards. Even the open frame ones on ebay made specially for that purpose are a pain to get working.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 08:39:01 pm »
Find a local UK repairer, confirm they can work on your monitor, and mail the chassis to them. All you have to do is discharge the tube and remove a few connectors. Reverse process in a few weeks time, after your chassis comes back. Unless you have a issue with the CRT tube itself, almost certainly less hassle and cost than replacing with an LCD.
Check out my completed projects!