Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DVI-I Port Shows Image ONLY When DP Has a Monitor???  (Read 1481 times)

springman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 08:04:26 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
DVI-I Port Shows Image ONLY When DP Has a Monitor???
« on: January 24, 2022, 11:08:31 am »
Hi and thanks again for everything.

I have a Dell / AMD low-profile dual-port (DP & DVI-I) R5 240 card and it's driving me crazy.

The CRT is JVC DT-1710 tri-sync. It works well in Windows at 31kHz at the DVI-I port with a VGA adapter through a VGA-to-BNCx5 cable.

I follow the standard CRT Emudriver for HD5450 guide and pick Arcade tri-sync. No matter my LCD for setup is at DP or DVI-I, after enabling EDID emulation for the analog_0-VGA output and swapping in the JVC, the JVC reports out of range (not "no sync"). I assume the card now should output either 15kHz or 31kHz at the DVI-I port. What strange is that even I swap the LCD back on the DVI-I port the LCD has no image. I always have to fall back to the DP port. Plugging the LCD back to the DP port shows the 1080p desktop. And at the same time, the JVC would pick up the sync and displays the extended desktop as a second monitor at 31kHz

DP with LCD at 640x480; DVI-I with the JVC at 640x480 (have tried duplicate, extended desktop, made the JVC the main display), once I unplug the LCD, the JVC would go either out of range or no sync. Replugging the LCD at the DP port, the JVC goes back on.

And another finding: both Windows Device Manager and the CRT Emudriver installation reports that the display adapter / compatible devices is "AMD Radeon(TM) R5 240 (CRT Emudriver)", but in both VMMaker and Arcade OSD it is "AMD Radeon R7 200 Series" instead ...

I've tried everything for days and man ... I need a break. For now I can only resort to my older HD 8490.

Has anyone experience something similar? Is it an unsupported card somehow or something? Please help! Thanks!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: DVI-I Port Shows Image ONLY When DP Has a Monitor???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 11:45:18 am »
springman,

If the monitor works well at 31 kHz, you don't need EDID emulation. Just install the modes that you need and go.

It sounds like when you unplug the LCD, Windows is restoring its last know configuration which is screwing your setup. You could avoid this probably by using Windows display manager in order to unplug the LCD, by first telling windows to only show desktop on the JVC, and then unplugging the LCD.

It could be an issue with monitor detection too, but I don't think it's that, otherwise you wouldn't be getting a picture at 31 kHz.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

springman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 12:14:12 pm »
springman,

If the monitor works well at 31 kHz, you don't need EDID emulation. Just install the modes that you need and go.

It sounds like when you unplug the LCD, Windows is restoring its last know configuration which is screwing your setup. You could avoid this probably by using Windows display manager in order to unplug the LCD, by first telling windows to only show desktop on the JVC, and then unplugging the LCD.

It could be an issue with monitor detection too, but I don't think it's that, otherwise you wouldn't be getting a picture at 31 kHz.

Hi Calamity! Thanks for the reply!

By Windows Display Manager do you mean right-clicking the desktop and go to "Display settings"? I tried in there already by picking "Show only on 2". Once I pick it at the dropdown box the JVC goes out of range immediately!

I'm also trying to let the JVC be my only 31khz display as well but whatever I tried so far just doesn't wanna give me that ... I understand it's probably something about MS Windows but not the CRT Emudriver ... it'd be great if you know a way to make it work ...

Thank you so much!

springman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 04:06:56 pm »
I ... didn't rest after all ...

Whatever I do, whenever I don't have a display at the DP port, my JVC would just have an out of range signal.

With my another HD8490 LP dual-port (DP & DVI-I as well), with everything else being the same, the JVC works and boots as the only display at 31kHz.

So I guess it's either the R5 240 card, or Windows 10.

For now I can only stay with the HD8490, though the R5 240 is like 3 times more powerful (able to run Supermodel3 Spikeout FE at 640x480p60!)