Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I made a 'pretend' coin door on the cheap  (Read 1884 times)

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
I made a 'pretend' coin door on the cheap
« on: February 12, 2022, 10:40:22 am »
I got the idea into my head awhile back that it'd be amusing (well, to me at any rate) to somehow add 2 insert coin type buttons on or into the old chest of draws my bartop arcade cabinet sits on. I'd bought 2 Replicade light up 'insert coin' keyrings to this effect and was trying to figure out the best way to use these that didn't require any actual modifications to the chest of draws, when I got the idea to make a fake coin door. Now, the only issue here is that I live in one-bedroom flat (apartment) with no garden or tool shed or outdoor area to wood or metalwork or anything like that in (honestly, cutting all the plexi to the right size for the monitor and control panel, drilling all the holes for the fixing brackets and spray painting the barcade was a chuffing nightmare when I was assembling it originally about 5 years back).

Anyhoo, looking at the ergonomics of a few coin doors online, I thought I could probably cobble something together using household items from around my flat that would look aesthetically similar enough to the casual eye of a friend or family member that they wouldn't really question it. So, behold, my fake coin door made out of two takeaway container lids stuck together. I cut a hole into the base of each one before I stuck them together and then stuck the square plastic top of a jar of herbs into each hole which i then stuck in place with epoxy putty, to act as the 'coin return' mechanism. I then sprayed the whole thing with a couple of coats of Rustoleum granite spray paint to give it a rough textured appearance and then re-sprayed with some matt black paint to cover all the white bits of the fake granite. The 'coin lock' is made from an old washer superglued to a silver plastic screw cover thingy I found in my box of 'shite that may come in useful one day'. The Replicade keyrings are just held in place by two small holes I punched through the plastic lids with a teeny Phillips head screwdriver and some thin black cable ties going through the slots where the key chains were. Finally, I used a picture hook, held in place once again with epoxy putty on the back, to hang it from a very small picture mounting nail hammered into an existing recessed are on the draw itself.

From a purely aesthetic view, Is hanging a fake coin door from an old chest of draws 'crap MAME' worthy? Ehhh, I'll let you be the judge of that. As I said though, this was really just for my own amusement and not intended to fool the eye of a discerning person that knows their shiz when it comes to cabinets.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:51:18 am by MrThunderwing »