Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Scaling & Stretching  (Read 1776 times)

springman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 08:04:26 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Scaling & Stretching
« on: January 19, 2022, 11:18:18 am »
Hi and thank you all for this great scene!

I've been working on my project:

Windows 10
PVM 14L
i5-4000 series
AMD HD 8490 (non-GCN)

Please excuse my noob questions:

For my setup, I suppose I'm on super resolution. Do I need to do -resolution 2560x0 in my mame.ini? Or is it okay to just leave it as auto?

I've been using GM with my G-sync monitor with great smoothness for years turning off all the sync functions and also all uneven stretches with only -keepaspect 1 and -autostretchxy 1 in order to make sure 1:1 pixel and ratio. I don't mind black bars up down left right at all. But I really wish to learn the concept behind scaling and stretching in GM / MAME. I have searched and read everything with "scaling" & "stretching" as the keywords but I just don't know what configuration is best in terms of authenticity. And now with my PVM / CRT Emudriver, should I leave all the scaling and stretching settings back to default?

I've also read through Calamity's sample cases of SFC, Neo Geo, and 320 x 256 games in the 2019 guide and I'm not sure if after all it's all just based on the games / machines or personal preferences. Or is it true that as long as I do -keepaspect 1 no matter it's uneven (fractional?) or integer scaling the games just look and feel the same as the original hardware?

I'm so confused. Please help. Thanks.

springman

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Scaling & Stretching
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 05:48:20 pm »
For my setup, I suppose I'm on super resolution. Do I need to do -resolution 2560x0 in my mame.ini? Or is it okay to just leave it as auto?
Set it to 2560x0

Or is it true that as long as I do -keepaspect 1 no matter it's uneven (fractional?) or integer scaling the games just look and feel the same as the original hardware?
Have a read of sections c) and d), and possibly e) if you're interested, of this thread - https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/76809-a-guide-to-connecting-your-windows-pc-to-an-sd-crt-tv-pvm-or-arcade-monitor/

That should at least help you understand what you're trying to do, if not the precise options to set in mame.ini, which i'm not sure of for newer builds of GM. There used to be options called -unevenstrechx and -unevenstrechy, but i don't know what -autostretch does :/

Recapnation

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
Re: Scaling & Stretching
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 07:41:13 pm »
-autostretchxy should be set back to 0 when you're using a CRT.

I believe your card has at least an analog output? If so, you don't really need to use super-resolutions -- that just helps to have it all working faster and keep the installed video modes in lower quantities and the per-game horizontal amplitude more uniform. Using the native resolution modes will be more authentic since you may find some minor artifacts with super-resolutions and non-integer horizontal scaling, but you'll lose the seamless resolution switching for the games that do it, as explained in the guide. In practice, many consider this splitting hairs, and you can always set a general super-resolution and later make a per-game configuration for the cases you prefer for whatever reason.