Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lets talk OLED and How to do it Right.  (Read 2166 times)

csnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
Lets talk OLED and How to do it Right.
« on: January 19, 2022, 10:10:32 am »
I am thinking of making the shift from CRT to OLED for my consoles i.e. Genesis, NES, SNES, Xbox, PS2, N64 etc.  I have a dedicated CRT but its in a spare room that requires being away from the rest of the home for dedicated game sessions.  I have reached the point where pixel perfection means less than the convivence of playing some SNES or Genesis in my bedroom along side my modern games.  I am also thinking of moving toward pedestal builds with a rotating OLED to replace some arcade machines and simplify my setup.  I guess the last straw was the other day I lost a chassis on my StarGate cabaret machine.  I am just tired of the continual worry something won't power on or may need work when I just want to play a quick game for 5 min.  I am a CRT fan but I am ready for more simplicity and the new 2022 42" model size is perfect for a pedestal arcade build.  The OLED videos I have seen look pretty darn good.  Not CRT, but close enough for the added simplicity and lack of maintenance.

With that said, what is the best path forward.  On the console side, I know the OSSC was held in high regards but its gotten long in the tooth coupled with the OSSC pro model being delayed due to supply chain woes.  The Retrotink 5x seems to be solid but I honestly am so new to this I don't know.  On the arcade side, I know the LG sets support both AMD and NVIDIA variable refresh technologies.  For a MAME or Mister build which technology is preferred and what brand is recommended?  All of my knowledge is on the analog side of builds so potentially going OLED is a new learn for me.

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 03:32:29 pm
Re: Lets talk OLED and How to do it Right.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 05:14:50 pm »
Unlikely to find non-CRT enthusiasts in here. At some point I'm sure we'll have to consider other options. I think OLEDs are certainly better than LCDs. Black levels,  viewing angles, and refresh rate of a CRT. I've hooked my PC with MAME up to a 4K LG OLED and it looks pretty decent with some good filters. It still kind of has a sterile digital feel to it that filters can't really solve. But for casual gaming It's great. I've heard some scalers do a decent job of upscaling 240P to 4K or whatever but haven't used them much yet. I guess just be careful you don't leave a game on the title screen, as burn-in is possible.

Life is a Game and we are all being Played.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 05:56:39 pm »
i dunno, i think modern IPS screens are pretty good. decent colors, great viewing angles.

anybody casually considering OLED is just trying to flex... and it doesn't work here.

it's kind of like people who put fake plastic Brembo brake covers on their car brakes... anybody who doesn't care enough to know, doesn't give AF and would not be impressed at all.... anybody who knows what having brembo brakes means, knows they are fake at one glance, so either way it doesn't matter.

also

CRT MASTERRACE!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 07:20:22 pm »
I punched OLED into google and it looks like Best Buy has them under $1,000.  I’m sure they’ll be $200 in a year or two.  Not much of a “flex.”

Also, the second you use a car analogy is the second I stop reading.

:cheers: :cheers:

Also - 42” is too small for a pedestal.  I’ve got a 48” and wish it was a 55”.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:21:57 pm by pbj »

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 07:48:40 pm »
I wasn't trying to be snarky with the non-CRT comment. It was a theory as to why he had no responses. Arcade enthusiasts generally favor CRTs, as do I. Nothing wrong with that and I don't view it as a master race thing. People could have viewed it as a flex or just weren't that interested in the post. But it was a poor choice of words by me and I can see how it could be taken that way.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 09:28:15 pm »
Keep apologizing, I’m close.

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 12:06:43 am »
Keep apologizing, I’m close.

It was a bit much wasn't it? I'm so soft.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 01:43:54 am »
At least half those consoles were built for which kind of display...?
Unless you have major spacial limitations why would you even consider such a thing, especially when you can probably still get free or extremely cheap consumer tubes that will work ?

I'm a half-wit when it comes to this stuff and I'm building video machines from scratch somewhere you can't just go drive to pick up a screen so it is a huge pain in the ass.

A well built (or rebuilt?) CRT will certainly outlive any new flat planel you can find, and thereby would be cheaper and less maintenance, no?

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.