Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: options for 49 way joysticks?  (Read 4997 times)

y2k600f4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2022, 04:29:45 pm
options for 49 way joysticks?
« on: January 18, 2022, 10:05:22 am »
I can't seem to get my williams arch rival joysticks to work with a recent MAME upgrade. I was running a pair of GPWIZ49 with an old version of Mala FE for years w/o issues until my PC crashed.

I can't seem to get the joysticks to work with any MAME FEs with the new build and my guess is the GPWIZ49 are obsolete and I need to replace my joysticks or encoders? Any suggestions on what my options are?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: options for 49 way joysticks?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 01:10:55 pm »
There's no reason I can think of as to why the GP-Wiz49 should not be working with your new build, unless the sticks aren't getting their required 5VDC and GROUND, or your new installation hasn't enabled the joystick option.

What happens in the gaming devices test screens of the OS?

*edit*

If the issue is specific to front-end navigation, either the FE you are using doesn't support joystick navigation, or there is a setting which needs to be enabled for it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:13:43 pm by RandyT »

y2k600f4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2022, 04:29:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 03:11:48 pm »
There's no reason I can think of as to why the GP-Wiz49 should not be working with your new build, unless the sticks aren't getting their required 5VDC and GROUND, or your new installation hasn't enabled the joystick option.

*edit*

If the issue is specific to front-end navigation, either the FE you are using doesn't support joystick navigation, or there is a setting which needs to be enabled for it.

Thanks for the reply Randy. No issues with the hardware (work as expected in the gaming device test screens). My issue is with my FE. Been several years since I build this console and trying to re-visit what I did years back and the changes made in MAME and the FEs since then. I think my best bet is to just duplicate my old setup on the new computer which basically will be MaLa v1.74, an old version of MAME (0.116) and set49mode since I can't find much info on using any updated FEs with the joystick option. I think my problem is trying to use a newer version of MAME (after the 0.117u1 release that changed to the Raw input API)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 04:29:45 pm by y2k600f4 »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 12:18:03 am »

*edit*

Are you aware of any frontend (which I will avoid then) that has issues this way?

I need to order a few of your boards Randy.
And... any progress on that ball top 49 way you have hinted at in the past?
I have a few old Midway 49s that I can use but I'm too old to be a fan of bat tops.
 >:D
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 01:12:57 pm »
Are you aware of any frontend (which I will avoid then) that has issues this way?

I need to order a few of your boards Randy.
And... any progress on that ball top 49 way you have hinted at in the past?
I have a few old Midway 49s that I can use but I'm too old to be a fan of bat tops.
 >:D

Worst case, there are some 3rd party utilities like JoytoKey or similar, which can be used to send keystrokes from joystick devices.  Best would be one which MAME isn't able to see/use, so it would only work at the desktop for your FE.  i.e. the less invasive they are to the OS, most likely the better.  Maybe even an AHK script would do the trick.

As for the balltop 49-ways, we have them but they may be more than you wish to spend.  There are a number of custom machined replacement parts which makes them costly, but we still offer the units for less than a new unit without those parts from Suzo/HAPP. Email me if you would like details.

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 10:03:18 am »
Arcade 1up just advertised NFL Blitz with 49 way joysticks.
https://arcade1up.com/a/page/nfl-blitz-arcade?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=18060041401&utm_content=&utm_term=&gadid=&gclid=CjwKCAjwo_KXBhAaEiwA2RZ8hDShrzoYBN-Jylzli4-zU58xviESNhG0ZOzUH7WdW7QEmZ0J16LkThoC-FAQAvD_BwE

Features:
Officially licensed by the NFL, WiFi Multiplayer, Light-Up Marquee, 1-4 Players Simultaneous, 49 way joystick, 3 in 1 games, Branded Riser, Headphone jack

They will be making their own brand, not sure until it comes out, how
they will do it.

Glenns retro will probably make their own version too, so maybe we
can use it with USB, MAME, sinistar, etc.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 01:48:12 pm »
here is a brief tech demo of possible 49 way stick :

later

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 02:50:06 pm »
Any analog joystick can be made to report 49-positions, but that doesn't make it a real old-school-like-you-remember 49-way joystick.  Regardless of the sensing technology being used, there will likely be massive differences in construction, feel in operation and from the looks of it, performance. 

But I doubt anyone really expects anything different from a machine built to a price point where 4 old-school 49-ways would account for 2/3rds of it's retail.  While a stick like that will definitely make those games more playable, anyone thinking they will deliver remotely the same experience as the originals at a lower cost, is probably being somewhat delusional.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 03:17:25 pm »
Agreed.   I would be shocked it if it isn't just a stock analog joystick made to operate like a 48 via an arduino-like board or more likely still it's all done in software since the games are emulated anyway.   

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 03:26:08 pm »
That video actually looks better than I expected.  Though I do have pretty low expectations for that stick. :)  I'm not aware of any other options right now other than an analog stick or the happ 49s at $175ish a pop?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 03:41:17 pm »
I'm not aware of any other options right now other than an analog stick or the happ 49s at $175ish a pop?

Wow, they spiked in price!  Looks like the real ones really are no longer in production for that to have happened.

But there is another option. Lower cost than from HAPP (even with a USB interface and connecting cables), more functionality and a stainless shaft with balltop to boot! ;)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 12:01:14 pm »
Any analog joystick can be made to report 49-positions, but that doesn't make it a real old-school-like-you-remember 49-way joystick.  Regardless of the sensing technology being used, there will likely be massive differences in construction, feel in operation and from the looks of it, performance. 

But I doubt anyone really expects anything different from a machine built to a price point where 4 old-school 49-ways would account for 2/3rds of it's retail.  While a stick like that will definitely make those games more playable, anyone thinking they will deliver remotely the same experience as the originals at a lower cost, is probably being somewhat delusional.

What part of the performance looks off to you? Using a higher resolution analog device to scale down to a low resolution output seems like something you would approve. 

The games are definitely not going to play exactly like the old games. They're not even emulated. These are new builds of the old games running natively on whatever hardware A1up is using, with some features like brutal late hits removed.

Anyway, they're Midway arcade sports games with "balancing" algorithms. They're not competitive games. You just want to make your guy to run in more than 8 directions because it makes you feel like you have more control.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 12:47:39 pm »
What part of the performance looks off to you? Using a higher resolution analog device to scale down to a low resolution output seems like something you would approve. 

Slow down the video to 1/4 speed and watch the sections where the joystick is moved quickly. 

Also, there's nothing wrong with scaling or an alternative sensing means, so long as it does it in near real-time like the original digital/optical sensors.  But that extra processing naturally takes time to do, especially if the analog has slow algorithms applied for jitter reduction/re-mapping and the results are then processed again for serial transmission. 

Performance is also not just limited to the electronics.  The smooth and gradual increase in resistance against the movement of the shaft and the natural resistance of moving parts in certain directions of the original (which may or may not be desirable depending on the game) all play into it's overall performance.  You can slap an analog sensor on any joystick, but in use, it will still play like the joystick you slapped the sensor onto.  If that gets the job done for the application at hand, then no problems.  But doing this and calling it by the same name as something which has existed in a very different and specific form for decades, even though it is technically accurate, can and most likely will lead to confusion and inaccurate conclusions regarding the value of the real deal.

But as these have not yet been released and the hardware being used is still an unknown, I would reserve final judgement on how well they were able to do until after some hands-on.  It's foolish to come to a concrete conclusion about these things from a tech video or reviews by "tubers" who were sent free machines and have never touched a real one. :)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 01:24:46 pm »
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for your response.

One thing about 49-way joysticks, at least the ones I got from Happ in the mid-2000's, is that they shipped with pretty crappy rubber grommets. In fact, whenever I play a Blitz or a Gauntlet Legends cab, the sticks' movement feels like mushy crap. Granted, the replacement rubber grommets you sold me did fix the issue, but really this new design looks much better in that regard. And I doubt that the performance issues beyond just durability will mean too much on a Blitz cab, but yeah, let's wait and see. I'm actually pretty excited that Arcade 1UP didn't just go with 8-way joysticks like New Wave Toys seems to be going with their Food Fight replicade.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 01:57:19 pm »
One thing about 49-way joysticks, at least the ones I got from Happ in the mid-2000's, is that they shipped with pretty crappy rubber grommets. In fact, whenever I play a Blitz or a Gauntlet Legends cab, the sticks' movement feels like mushy crap. Granted, the replacement rubber grommets you sold me did fix the issue, but really this new design looks much better in that regard.

Honestly, those are the worst things to have happened to those sticks.  I made a stink about it, but they were being made at that time for a specific customer who considered them acceptable for their application and they no doubt found their way into route machines as replacements.  They are easy to spot as the lower shafts on those sticks are larger than the original 1/4" shafts.  Needless to say, I would avoid the HAPP variety, as I am sure that these have never been updated to the proper grommets.

That said, if these new ones use spring centering as they appear to, I doubt that I could disagree with you more, unless you mean over the incorrect neoprene grommets selected by HAPP or it's customer.  I have many joystick options.  I'll let you guess which joysticks I use exclusively :)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2022, 02:39:49 pm »
Unfortunately, my 49-way joysticks are currently out of service. After more than a decade of informal polling of dozens of users of the sticks, along with your GP-49 encoders, the nearly unanimous verdict was that people preferred microswitch joysticks. The 49 ways just don't snap back to center fast enough for games like Frogger and the non-restricted long throw makes them difficult to play 4 way games like Ms. Pacman at a higher level. People who don't know arcade games at all would immediately notice that the sticks aren't ideal. Unfortunately, Sinistar isn't that big of a draw, just too repetitive and difficult.

So, yeah, I may reinstall them one day, especially considering that I have the rotary mods for Ikari Warriors, but I don't love the idea of rubber grommet centering for general arcade play. If those are springs on the A1Up sticks, then that seems potentially appealing.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2022, 03:14:18 pm »
Unfortunately, my 49-way joysticks are currently out of service. After more than a decade of informal polling of dozens of users of the sticks, along with your GP-49 encoders, the nearly unanimous verdict was that people preferred microswitch joysticks. The 49 ways just don't snap back to center fast enough for games like Frogger and the non-restricted long throw makes them difficult to play 4 way games like Ms. Pacman at a higher level. People who don't know arcade games at all would immediately notice that the sticks aren't ideal. Unfortunately, Sinistar isn't that big of a draw, just too repetitive and difficult.

You just mentioned two 4-way games for which no unrestricted stick is ideal.  I'm also not a Street Fighter aficionado who is looking to clicks for audible feedback in pulling off special moves.  However, for nearly every other game type, the vast majority of which did use a rubber centering grommet, there is no comparison in feel.  Actuation doesn't only occur at the outer edge of the throw, so individual play style does come into play.  For instance, when I play Frogger, I don't mash the stick to it's furthest extents as some do, rather I keep it hovered near the actuation points, moving only as far as it takes to move.  If one does otherwise, the additional travel just adds to reaction time.

It all depends on the individual play style and the types of games they play most.  Sinistar is just icing on the cake :)

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 03:19:34 pm »
... I have many joystick options.  I'll let you guess which joysticks I use exclusively :)

To the best of my knowledge you do not create or stock any 49 ways though, am I mistaken?

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2022, 05:02:38 pm »

So, yeah, I may reinstall them one day, especially considering that I have the rotary mods for Ikari Warriors, but I don't love the idea of rubber grommet centering for general arcade play. If those are springs on the A1Up sticks, then that seems potentially appealing.

49 Way sticks, were never designed for standard use sticks.  They are basically an Analog stick, that uses digital means,
likely for better reliability... lowered costs... and sticks that could be made much smaller than typical analog sticks
of the Era.

I will say that most all of the classics 80s games, used Wico Leafswitch sticks, which used a rubber grommet.
They are mushy, and that is actually Good thing, on these older games.

When you slam a happs competition microswitch stick to the furthest edges.. you get a very hard Clashing Impact.
Not only does this make a lot of noise... but the constant Hard Impacts, eventually translates to much greater hand fatigue.

The Grommet, and Leaf-Spring switches, greatly reduce impact potentials, and greatly dampen the impact forces
through the stick, to your hands.   This makes them nearly silent, and buttery soft / smooth.  Easily able to play
for extended periods of time, with far less stress and strain.

All of that said... Grommet Leaf-Switch sticks, are not for every type of game.  In a fighting game... where you need
extremely accurate movements to produce the Specials.. is not going to work well.  As you might accidentally hit a
diagonal... and never really know it, because you dont "Feel" it.   This is why sticks like the Comps, with their Squared
gate, and defining microswitch Clicks... and off-axis stick travel.. greatly aid the player in "Feel" and accurate control,
with these specific types of movements.

Leafs are best for games like Robotron... where the player is constantly moving the stick in a certain direction, rather
than doing something like  "Back-Back-Forwards".

As Randy basically said.. Pacman, and Frogger,  NEED a true restricted 4-way solution.  The diamond shape literally
cuts the corners, making your movements much faster, smoother, and more accurate.

Imagine if you were playing baseball... but instead of running the diamond shape... they drew a square around the
field, and told you (and only you) ... that you had to run around the square, rather than the diamond.   This would
greatly increase your time, in running to each base.

While you might do a semi decent job of keeping the stick moving in diagonals, rather than accidentally first rolling
into the corners... you will likely always end up being off, and messing up your timings... just enough that you will
end up missing the critically timed Turns that you needed to pull off, in order to survive.

As Randy also said, that Leafs activate well before full travel.  This is less critical on the sticks.. but far more
critical on Leaf Buttons.   This was actually a design feature.

With leaf buttons...  they would not activate with a small amount of travel / pressure... to prevent accidental
button presses when simply resting your fingers on the buttons.  Mid travel, the leafs would touch, causing
activation.  After that point... the leafs would be increasing in additive resistance, helping to prevent you from
bottoming out your button press.   Bottoming out, is again.. another instance where you would gain a lot of
energy and speed losses.. as well as much more noise and fatigue issues.  You can bottom them out... but
the skilled players would find the buttons activation point.. and then very lightly bounce or Vibrate, to allow
the leafs to connect and disconnect.  I call it  "Feathering"  the buttons.

If you feather, you can reach a much faster rate of fire.. and you will experience virtually no fatigue at all.
In comparison, try Galaga, or even better, Halley's Comet... and compare how much more effort it takes
to play them.. on standards Happs microswitches, compared to standard original Leafswitch buttons
(while using the feathering method... and not bottoming out).

If you do not care for Sinistar,  then there is virtually no reason for anyone to have a dedicated 49way.
A mini-analog, would better suit many of the games that would require one.

But if you want to play Sinistar well at all... then there is no substitute for a
Rubber Grommet + Rubber Centering "Cross" .  Standard metal springs, dont have enough additive resistance,
and so you will end up easily over-shooting your target.

In fact... in my home made analog based 49-way solution... I made mine with probably 5 times the rubber-X
resistance levels.  This makes it extremely easy to stay within the center of the stick.. requiring nearly a
"Zero Dead-Zone" value.   The stick stays perfectly centered, and you can make the most accurate and
articulate, graceful movements... to easily collect the crystals, without over-shooting them.

It takes a LOT more pressure to move the stick to 2nd gear level of speed... and even more,  to hit full power.
But thats a GREAT thing in this game... because it prevents you from accidentally going warp speed.  And
while its certainly more effort when going full tilt... you often are not going full tilt much in the game, and often,
only for a brief moment.   That said... its not the difficult to hold the stick fully to the edge.  You have plenty of
leverage to do so.

The way mine feels.. is somewhat similar to how Race Driving Strain Gauge works.   With RD, one you press the brake
peddle to the floor... you reach a certain brake value.  But if you press down really hard... despite being end
of travel... the metal of the pedal is strained, and the strain gauge picks up just how much pressure you are
putting down.  The levels of its accuracy, go WAY beyond a typical Arcade POT based solution.

While my stick does in fact move quite a bit, its extremely rigid.. and yet, even the slightest of pressure, causes the values
to shift... which acts somewhat similar to how the Strain Gauge reacts.

This level of resistance might not work well for games that require constant full throttle... or game that requite "full"
quick left to right movements, often.   But for Sinistar,  my designs added resistance, actually is far Superior to the
original sticks user control level experience.

(Mine uses bike inner tubes, doubled up, for the rubber X "spring" )

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 05:27:30 pm »
I guess I sucked at NFL Blitz, but I never really noticed much difference in play between 8 way and 49 way joysticks.  The plays were so short it didn't really matter.  Equally pointless in Gauntlet Legends.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 06:19:47 pm »
To the best of my knowledge you do not create or stock any 49 ways though, am I mistaken?

Yes.  I've mentioned them in the past but not yet made them available on the store.  Mostly a high-end request item.  I.e. if the first question you have about them is regarding the price, they probably aren't the droids you are looking for. :)

@Steve  RE: "49 Way sticks, were never designed for standard use sticks"

To a point, that is correct.  It's overkill to put one in a commercial machine which only needs a simple 8/4-way (one or the other) and the game would have needed special code and more input hardware to support them.  That does not, however, mean that they are poor 4 or 8-way sticks as your comment would seem to imply.  If you really wanted to make them special purpose, there's nothing precluding restriction.

The only real advantage of a grommet leaf switch stick over a proper Midway 49-way is the ability to finely adjust the actuation point.  For that, you get 49-position functionality with on-the-fly map switching, which can improve 4-way operation and can be especially useful in 2-way, 8-way and diagonal titles (tight and clean actuation) with no cleaning or adjusting of contacts or concerns for contact wear.  It also doesn't have any of the drift or jitter of analog.  The Williams is a beast unto itself, with it's own physical dynamics due to the ball-socket and cross rubber.  I think your comment may be more apropos to those types, but they are indeed better for Sinistar.

Just think of a Midway 49-way as a grommet optical stick (those used to be a thing and are still sought after) with configuration options when paired with an appropriate interface.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2022, 12:23:11 pm »
Posting this for those who might want to see what the ultimate in true 49-way joysticks looks like (and what I use personally.)  Somewhat deep pockets required  :)

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:36:04 am
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2022, 04:35:41 pm »
How does that feel compared to an original Sinistar stick (if you happen to know give or take)? Does it have resistance?

J_K_M_A_N

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2022, 11:19:23 pm »
Sinistar used a Williams 49-way.  There is no substitute for those sticks due to their unique physical dynamic, at least for the games which used them.  But as a general purpose stick, they aren't great.

If I were to compare the two, I would say that the difference lies mostly in the pivot and amount of resistance along the throw extents.  The rubber spiders also make the resistance feel odd at times as the cross members try to get out of the way.  If the shaft was made short like the Williams, it would increase the resistance and offer more control for that title, but it still would not be the same.

Sinistar fans won't be completely happy with anything but a Williams, but they are rare.  The rubber centering spiders they used are even more so.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2022, 01:28:08 pm »
here's a closer look and speculation about the arcade 1up 49 way sticks:

later

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2022, 12:59:31 pm »
here's a closer look and speculation about the arcade 1up 49 way sticks:

Honestly not sure what's left to speculate about, now that they are playing with one.  It looks like a low-cost, spring centered joystick of Chinese origin with a magnetic analog sensor added on, which converts the analog data to 49 positions and sends that information via a proprietary serial protocol.  Pretty much what folks here said.  The only new info seems to be that a stiff spring was used to make it a little more controllable, but with that design it also equates to a more "locky" center position, and possibly premature socket wear.  Time will tell on the latter.

I think the only speculation left is whether someone eventually makes a USB interface for use with a PC and whether it was worth bothering with. :)

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2023, 03:11:14 pm
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 08:33:00 am »
sooo I'm resurrecting this thread.. I see that the build quality seems to be much worse on the 1up sticks than the originals, but the original ones are soo expensive.
do you guys think there's any way to shoehorn these 1up 49 way sticks into a old cabinet running 97 or 99 blitz?

I know these use an encoder and the older one just plugs directly into the jamma, so that would be a challenge..