Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: G07 recap sync upgrade confusion  (Read 1583 times)

1supercomputertyler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 06:48:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
G07 recap sync upgrade confusion
« on: January 15, 2022, 02:10:37 am »
I am recapping my g07-cbo. I admittedly didn't read all the directions having recapped a monitor before but the first cap I removed was c303 and I didn't pay attention but it had a polarized cap in it rated at 10uf 50v. C501 has a weird component that is not a normal electrolytic cap labeled 104k 1h. Any recommendations on what I should do. I don't know what caps to install and not to install or to move around because it sounds like someone did this before but the uf on the one the kit came with is 22uf 50v, the one that was in there was 10uf 50vso I'm worried about screwing up. Can I put the new cap in,  what about polarity, do I mess with the solder pads, what should I do about 501. The instructions don't seem to indicate what I should be expecting in c303 but it looks to me like that's not what I should be moving to 501

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: G07 recap sync upgrade confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 07:58:27 am »
Get the schematic for the monitor and look at it.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
Re: G07 recap sync upgrade confusion
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 02:50:20 am »
I'm guessing your weird cap (with no picture) is probably a polyester cap, shaped like a pillow, probably brown or blue? These guys rarely fail so probably doesn't need replacing. You can ask Mr Google "capacitor types" and get some answers.

FWIW, IMO cap-kitting is largely a waste of time. For most TVs and monitors over 10 years old, most or all of the caps will still be good unless it has been worked hard. Even then they will mostly be in the power supply sections. Failed caps will often be obvious on inspection. If not, failing caps will show up with an ESR meter like the blue one from Anatek or the old Dick Smith original. ESR meter allows you to check basic electrolytic cap health without removing it from the PCB, saving you time and money and saving your PCB from unnecessary wear and tear from needlessly removing/replacing caps. Even experienced solderers can occasionally screw up a solder pad or something else by accident, it probably isn't worth the risk for inexperienced people.

I know some of the arcade parts/supplies retailers love selling cap kits, and that's fine and good, but maybe more of them should try selling ESR meters as well.
Check out my completed projects!