Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 31khz crt arcade monitor blackscreen on VGA  (Read 1678 times)

trick72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 03:49:05 am
31khz crt arcade monitor blackscreen on VGA
« on: January 11, 2022, 07:55:36 am »
Hi,
I have a cabinet with a 31khz CRT arcade monitor. When I cannot my amd graphics card with the analog VGA cable to the monitor (which only has a VGA input) I have no image from my PC, not even the bios boot screen. I do have an image when I connect a normal lcd pc monitor via vga to that graphics card.
The AMD card also has DVI and HDMI. When I use a HDMI to VGA cable and connect the CRT monitor that way it does work and I do have a picture, even in Windows. So HDMI->VGA works.
However, I want to use GROOVYMAME and the low resolutions don't work via HDMI to VGA. For them to work I should use the VGA port on my videocard for ANALOG output.

Any idea why the VGA port from my graphics card does not work on the 31khz CRT monitor? I tried several VGA cables. It seems to not go in proper sync.
I also tried a small laptop which has a VGA-out port and with that I do have a stable image on the CRT monitor... So it seems the AMD card does not give proper sync over VGA for some reason... (although it does work with a normal LCD screen)
Thanks for any tips.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: 31khz crt arcade monitor blackscreen on VGA
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 02:50:00 pm »
which monitor is this? are you sure it's 31k? there are some monitors out there with VGA style connectors, but can only do standard resolutions and whatnot.

lots of computer bios screens these days are 800x600... so even a bios screen miiiight not work

use a regular computer monitor.... get it into windows, and the force it down to 640x480 then swap the cable and see if that does it.

if it's still not working, there might be some sync adjustments or dip/jumper settings you need to do to the monitor. (again depending on the make/model of monitor)

trick72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 03:49:05 am
Re: 31khz crt arcade monitor blackscreen on VGA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 03:38:22 am »
It's ok. IT works with HDMI to VGA now for Groovymame so I will leave it like that. Thanks