Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

How to use an a-pac?

<< < (6/7) > >>

PL1:

--- Quote from: sirgubster9 on January 20, 2022, 05:20:57 pm ---Any reason you decided to go the arduino route when the apac seems so much more strait forward?

--- End quote ---
In Vee21's case, he has a 6-speed shifter.

An A-Pac can't decode four inputs (two microswitches and two photosensors) into 7 possible states. (gears 1-6 and N)

--- Quote from: PL1 on November 06, 2021, 02:30:55 pm ---The two microswitches determine if the shift lever is up (1/3/5), center (N), or down. (2/4/6)

The two photosensors determine if the shift lever is left (1/2/N), center (3/4/N), or right. (5/6/N)

--- End quote ---

Scott

sirgubster9:

--- Quote from: PL1 on January 20, 2022, 06:31:17 pm ---
--- Quote from: sirgubster9 on January 20, 2022, 05:19:23 pm ---
--- Quote from: bobbyb13 on January 19, 2022, 11:49:11 pm ---Scott has already diagrammed what you would need to do actually.

--- End quote ---
Scott diagrammed it amazingly.. thank you scott by the way.

--- End quote ---
I can't take credit for that A-Pac diagram -- that's Andy's diagram from the Ultimarc site.   :notworthy:

https://www.ultimarc.com/images/1/apac_step1.jpg

--- Quote from: sirgubster9 on January 20, 2022, 05:19:23 pm ---My only confusion still are the pots and which wires do you use and all that good stuff.

--- End quote ---
The wiki has a breakdown showing what is inside a potentiometer and how it works.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Analog_Encoders#How_a_potentiometer_provides_the_voltage_for_an_analog_encoder_to_measure

Short version:
- 3 tabs.
- 5v and Ground on the two outside tabs. (1 and 3 or 3 and 1)
- Center tab (tab 2) is the variable voltage output that the analog encoder (A-Pac, U-HID, or Arduino) translates into a position.

Scott

--- End quote ---
Thank you thank you thank you. I think I'm finally getting this. So steering wheel would be pot connected to left and right. Gas would be pot connected to up and down. Brake would be connected to player 2 and then I just program it? And then gears and buttons would be connected to sws?

Thank you for being so understanding by the way. OK so I see all this stuff about coding and firmware and what not but can I basically ignore all that if I go the apac route? Since all I am doing is hooking up a gas and brake pedal, a steering wheel and some buttons assuming the shifter is micro switches?  I feel like I can just plug those pots in per Andy's diagram and be good to go right? I do have all these games working already just using a keyboard though. What's the point of all the coding and what not?

Vee21:

--- Quote from: sirgubster9 on January 20, 2022, 05:20:57 pm ---thanks man!!! I will definitely check this out.  Any reason you decided to go the arduino route when the apac seems so much more strait forward?
im still a little bit lost, why would i have to deal with firmwares or have to be able to code, its not as simple as plugging one wire into an encoder for axis left and one wire into the encoder for axis right? I might be in way over my head here it seems.

--- End quote ---

Yep exactly what PL1 mentioned, the cab I'm working on has a 6-speed shifter and I had seen some guys on the sim racing forums using it for PC games using the Arduino. When I was doing my research a lot of posts and videos mentioned Arduino and it peaked my interest so I was keen to learn how to use one and also people have got FFB to work with it as well which is what ill be trying to do next. To be honest I don't know much about the APACs so I couldn't tell why to choose one over the other, but the Arduino seems more customizable but there's a learning curve trade off.

Cheers

PL1:

--- Quote from: sirgubster9 on January 20, 2022, 07:10:51 pm ---What's the point of all the coding and what not?

--- End quote ---
The point is to handle things like Vee21's shifter and/or other uncommon/custom/inexpensive encoder setups.

There are other firmware options like a rotary joystick encoder (Ikari Warriors) or a 12 button keypad that needs a matrix encoder for Intellivision.

Picture wanting to make a cab with a Star Wars yoke, gas+brake pedals, and some admin buttons to navigate the game menu.
- 4 pots
- 4 player buttons (2 trigger, 2 thumb)
- 4 admin buttons

You can do that with an A-Pac ($43 + ship) or a full-size U-HID ($69 + ship) or an Arduino Pro Micro. ($5-10 + ship -- I've picked some up for as little as $3 each)

So, what's the point of all the coding and what not?  Flexibility and low cost.   ;D

Scott

sirgubster9:

--- Quote from: PL1 on January 20, 2022, 10:02:16 pm ---
--- Quote from: sirgubster9 on January 20, 2022, 07:10:51 pm ---What's the point of all the coding and what not?

--- End quote ---
The point is to handle things like Vee21's shifter and/or other uncommon/custom/inexpensive encoder setups.

There are other firmware options like a rotary joystick encoder (Ikari Warriors) or a 12 button keypad that needs a matrix encoder for Intellivision.

Picture wanting to make a cab with a Star Wars yoke, gas+brake pedals, and some admin buttons to navigate the game menu.
- 4 pots
- 4 player buttons (2 trigger, 2 thumb)
- 4 admin buttons

You can do that with an A-Pac ($43 + ship) or a full-size U-HID ($69 + ship) or an Arduino Pro Micro. ($5-10 + ship -- I've picked some up for as little as $3 each)

So, what's the point of all the coding and what not?  Flexibility and low cost.   ;D

Scott

--- End quote ---

Oh OK!! So if I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks I can purchase the apac and hook it up to my 3 pots (gas, brake, 270 steering) and like 10 micro switches (4 gears, plus control panel stuff) and be basically be done since all I want is to be able to play different racing 270 steering wheel games, no coding or firmware stuff at all just setting up the apac to work with the emulators and what not?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version