Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

How to use an a-pac?

<< < (5/7) > >>

bobbyb13:
Both your steering wheel and gas pedal are probably potentiometer devices but as an A-pac can handle four of those you should be fine.

Not sure what shifter you have but it is probably a microswitch device like your buttons.

Andy's documentation is great but ask if you have issues and someone here will help.

Scott has already diagrammed what you would need to do actually.

Vee21:
hey mate I recently did exactly what you are trying to do with a racing cab - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165806.0.html

Hopefully the thread helps, thanks to the awesome people on here I got it all working using an Arduino Leonardo my next hurdle is force feedback. My setup was potentiometers for accelerate, brake and steering, those were easy to hook up to the Arduino and get them working, you could copy the code in my thread if you decide to go the Arduino path.

I work with computers but had zero clue about electronics (I had no idea what a potentiometer was) so it was a decent learning curve but its damn worth it once you get all working.

Cheers  :cheers:

sirgubster9:

--- Quote from: bobbyb13 on January 19, 2022, 11:49:11 pm ---Both your steering wheel and gas pedal are probably potentiometer devices but as an A-pac can handle four of those you should be fine.

Not sure what shifter you have but it is probably a microswitch device like your buttons.

Andy's documentation is great but ask if you have issues and someone here will help.

Scott has already diagrammed what you would need to do actually.

--- End quote ---
Oh does Andy have actual instructions or whatever that he sends out with the APAC?

Scott diagrammed it amazingly.. thank you scott by the way.  My only confusion still are the pots and which wires do you use and all that good stuff.  Which i feel like is super simple and everyone else gets it but me ha ha. 

sirgubster9:

--- Quote from: Vee21 on January 20, 2022, 04:49:29 am ---hey mate I recently did exactly what you are trying to do with a racing cab - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165806.0.html

Hopefully the thread helps, thanks to the awesome people on here I got it all working using an Arduino Leonardo my next hurdle is force feedback. My setup was potentiometers for accelerate, brake and steering, those were easy to hook up to the Arduino and get them working, you could copy the code in my thread if you decide to go the Arduino path.

I work with computers but had zero clue about electronics (I had no idea what a potentiometer was) so it was a decent learning curve but its damn worth it once you get all working.

Cheers  :cheers:

--- End quote ---

thanks man!!! I will definitely check this out.  Any reason you decided to go the arduino route when the apac seems so much more strait forward?
im still a little bit lost, why would i have to deal with firmwares or have to be able to code, its not as simple as plugging one wire into an encoder for axis left and one wire into the encoder for axis right? I might be in way over my head here it seems. 

PL1:

--- Quote from: sirgubster9 on January 20, 2022, 05:19:23 pm ---
--- Quote from: bobbyb13 on January 19, 2022, 11:49:11 pm ---Scott has already diagrammed what you would need to do actually.

--- End quote ---
Scott diagrammed it amazingly.. thank you scott by the way.

--- End quote ---
I can't take credit for that A-Pac diagram -- that's Andy's diagram from the Ultimarc site.   :notworthy:

https://www.ultimarc.com/images/1/apac_step1.jpg

--- Quote from: sirgubster9 on January 20, 2022, 05:19:23 pm ---My only confusion still are the pots and which wires do you use and all that good stuff.

--- End quote ---
The wiki has a breakdown showing what is inside a potentiometer and how it works.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Analog_Encoders#How_a_potentiometer_provides_the_voltage_for_an_analog_encoder_to_measure

Short version:
- 3 tabs.
- 5v and Ground on the two outside tabs. (1 and 3 or 3 and 1)
- Center tab (tab 2) is the variable voltage output that the analog encoder (A-Pac, U-HID, or Arduino) translates into a position.

Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version