Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 15-ish Years in the making  (Read 12233 times)

rbarr110

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2023, 04:02:41 pm
  • I already built my own arcade controls!
15-ish Years in the making
« on: January 13, 2022, 01:52:18 pm »
I built my first mame cabinet over 15+ years ago.  Ever since I saw the O.G. 1-Up rotating panel cab (named pacmamia if I remember correctly), I wanted to make my own.  Since I wanted to build one I decided I needed a CNC machine.  Well I completed the CNC in 2012....but never made another arcade machine (yet).  However, I spent countless hours sketching layouts and ways to build the rotating panel over the last 15 years, never giving up on the idea. 

Since COVID gave me some extra time at home teh last 2 years, I got back into the cabinet design and piecing it together using Fusion 360 which has given me the confidence that I have the design right.  That being said, I plan on building a mock-up because the support for and mechanism for stabilizing the rotating panel and mounting of the panel is conceptual and I am 90% confident it will work, so a MDF mock-up will give me the opportunity to fine tune or change as needed before I build it from the more expensive birch plywood I want to stain to match the other wood of my bar, saltwater tank stand, and trim etc. in the family room.

The new cabinet will be wall mounted so it is not a "full" height free standing cabinet, but is pretty close.  I also designed it to be wide enough to house a 32" monitor and give a little extra width on the control panels.  However, I think I will stick with a 27" monitor as I was originally thinking a 32" would give me a lot more vertical real estate than it really does.  Plus a 27" will give me a little more room to mount IR for the lightguns.  Also I wanted the cab to be able to be taken apart for easy movement/relocation so the upper half and lower have can easily be separated.  1 of the 3 control panels will be swappable, but technically all will be able to be removed for maintenance or change of layout if I decide I don't like it....

I have seen some peoples designs and tests for one, but it has been years since I have been active here, so I don't know if anyone else has successfully built a rotating CP since the original.    If all goes to plan, I start the mockup this weekend.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: 15-ish Years in the making
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 02:42:38 pm »
Just make swappable panels.

A rotating mechanism is just a ton of work and aggravation for no gain.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 03:07:50 pm »

I considered this, but swappable panels have to be stored.  No need for extra clutter in my life.  Plus I am an engineer, so the challenge is what makes this desirable.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:00:22 pm
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 07:00:02 pm »

I considered this, but swappable panels have to be stored.  No need for extra clutter in my life.  Plus I am an engineer, so the challenge is what makes this desirable.

Sounds awesome!  Will definitely be some WOW factor when people see that.... Good luck!

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 07:42:15 pm »

The simple answer would be to store the extra panels inside the cabinet. K.I.S.S.
%Bartop

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 08:27:12 pm »

The simple answer would be to store the extra panels inside the cabinet. K.I.S.S.

Also considered this.  Makes the cabinet extra large.  Something my wife hates about the current cabinet. So no K.I.S.S., as I thought the options through and am doing what I want and what fits me, not the universal dumbed down version of things.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 09:15:08 pm »
So the two unused panels can fit inside this cabinet if they're on a rotating assembly... But won't fit inside this cabinet if not.  :cheers:
%Bartop

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 09:19:45 pm »
So the two unused panels can fit inside this cabinet if they're on a rotating assembly... But won't fit inside this cabinet if not.  :cheers:

So when something is assembled in a manner where there are things sticking out the top and bottom (buttons, joysticks, wiring), they dont store and stack neatly.  The bottom compartment would have to be much larger to fit extra panels and the PC.  I know because my original build tried to do this it became a messy cluster F in the cabinet.  I ended up redoing my first cabinet with an extra wide panel which I dont want this time around.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 09:20:32 pm »
I dig the idea myself.
Look forward to seeing how you implement it all, especially as regards...

1. Cable management
2. Clearance during rotation
3. Locking mechanism
4. Fit and finish when parked

Very cool idea, but obviously a lot to execute well !
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 10:55:10 am »
How many panels are we talking about here?  If you look up "blip" you will find an excellent example of swappable panels.  There are only 2 but the amount of games covered is crazy and the second panel is stored out of sight on the TOP of the cabinet.  Check it out: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0/all.html

I think a rotating solution would be really cool if you can pull it off.  Those aren't projects we see around here as you can probably tell from the responses.  Good luck.   :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 03:21:28 pm »
I'm glad these kind of ideas died in my head.  Much better to just build multiple cabinets.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 08:23:12 pm »
I'm glad these kind of ideas died in my head.  Much better to just build multiple cabinets.

It has taken me a few years now, but I have come to accept that making room for more cabinets (which play fewer games even!) is the best path in numerous respects.

Groovy engineering is still admirable though.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 12:29:44 am »
Got a fair amount of pieces cut out today.  I also managed to stain the side panels.  If I feel ambitious on Monday, I can probably cut out 90% of all the cabinet pieces if not all of them.  The CNC sure makes short work of the cutting.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 02:17:33 pm »
Nice project! I was going to go the rotating route, but decided to just store hot swappable panels in the cab. Looking forward to seeing this progress!

:applaud:

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 08:59:00 pm »
A few more in progress shots.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 09:03:38 pm »
I didnt get to testing the rotating panel as I realized I should really stain and clear coat before doing some of the assembly.  So I put the edge banding on and started finish work.  In my haste, I messed up and flipped a few pieces too soon on their stand off blocks leaving triangle shapes in the stain.  They weren't too noticeable until I put the first layer of clear coat on.....oh well, I can live with it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 09:26:02 am »
I just love CNC projects.  Everything is so perfect. 

Good job so far.  If the triangles bother you, I'm sure you could just cut some new pieces in an hour or less.  Really curious to see how this is all going to work.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 12:41:55 pm »
Hey when you post here you need to make sure we can live with it also.  Those triangles need to go...lol.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 12:44:34 pm »
Given the precision of everything else here I can't see how you can proceed without sanding those triangle holidays out and giving those pieces a fresh coat!

Your future self may hate you.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 01:45:02 am »
Hey when you post here you need to make sure we can live with it also.  Those triangles need to go...lol.

I plan on making new ones, but for testing purposes they can stay.  The more I look at them the more I cant look at them.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 02:26:03 am »

I plan on making new ones, but for testing purposes they can stay.  The more I look at them the more I cant look at them.

:lol

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:51:51 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 10:05:04 am »
Just cover them up with collage of arcade and console characters.  Nobody will ever know.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 12:16:08 am »
The frame of the control panel getting cut out.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 12:22:10 am »
The axle for the panel.  The flanged bearing fit perfectly inside 1-1/4" PVC pipe and the flange stops the bearing from going too far in the pipe.  Used use 3/4" steel tube to tie the PVC to the bearing in my HDPE guide blocks.  I just need to go to the hardware store and pick up a couple of shaft collar locks to hold the steel tube in place relative the the bearings.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 12:24:31 am »
Drilled some pockets for the pocket screws and got the lower half the cabinet together for testing.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 12:38:49 am »
Panel frame has 1/4" bolts with a nylon bushing to act as a guide pin for the HDPE guide blocks.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 12:48:58 am by rbarr110 »

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 12:51:46 am »
Overview of the test assembly.  All seems to be working as I had hoped.  Need to fine tune some things and get my spacings where they need to be.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2022, 12:53:25 am »
Also got some goodies with a few more to come in the coming week or so.  However, was really wanting an Ultimarc u360 Flight Stick but out of stock and no idea when more will be back in according to Andy.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2022, 01:48:10 pm »
I am looking for opinions on one of the control panel layouts I am considering.  Part of wanting the rotating panel is I want to keep each one relatively simple and avoid the franken-panel look.  However I am having a hard time integrating a dedicated 4-way with the plans I have for 2 of the 3 other panels.  This image below feels like it is a decent option.  Thoughts?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2022, 01:53:03 pm »
Honestly I’d try and find another spot for the 4-way.  Or get some ServoStiks and auto switch.  The 2P 6 button layout is elegant and a random joystick will confuse everyone.  But I like simple and this cab is anything but simple.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 12:03:36 am »
You can place two joysticks almost 100% vertically on top of each other, and you will
have better comfort and space.

Just make a slight diagonal, so that the top stick is abut 2 " more to the left.
This will prevent your wrist from bumping into the lower stick, when rolling the stick
in its full travel circle.

---------------------------
-            (o)                -
-                        ooo   -
-                (o)    ooo  -
--------------------------

If the above text example shows correctly... The actual vertical height difference would not
be so exaggerated.  The bases can be like a cm apart.  Just leave enough clearance
for bolts / mounting.

Edit:

That triangle shape looks quite small.  If you are planning to use certain real arcade
controls... note that many of them are several inches deep, below the CP surface.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:12:18 am by Xiaou2 »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2022, 03:35:33 am »
Need to know the layout for all three panels to offer meaningful advice.

You may be able to shift things between panels to make for better layouts all around.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2022, 03:04:27 pm »
Need to know the layout for all three panels to offer meaningful advice.

You may be able to shift things between panels to make for better layouts all around.

Other panel will be track ball w/ spinner and a u360 Flight stick (assuming they come back in stock sometime in the near future), and the 3rd panel I have not drawn up but it will have a star wars yoke and was possibly going to add "holster" pockets on either side of the yoke for the light guns.  Guns may just stay put away and plugged into a panel mounted USB hub is the alternate to that.

I was kind of wanting the dedicated 4-way placed a bit more center of the panel, but I guess it could be on the left side of the track ball and the buttons to the right. I uploaded the sketch of the trackball/spinner panel and a photo of my old panel on the cab to be retired.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:11:28 pm by rbarr110 »

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 03:09:38 pm »
A few more progress pics that may help people identify how cable management is done.  The design changed a bit during testing as I wanted to push the side frame panels as close to the cab side panels which made me change the way to route the wires (extra hole in CP frame panel) which made the initial plan of routing the cables through the PVC unnecessary.  I still put the cables through the PVC as I think it is slightly cleaner routing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:58:40 pm by rbarr110 »

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2022, 12:49:06 pm »
I'm starting to get flashbacks  ;D. Good luck with your build, you have an advantage over me. I started out only wanting a rotating monitor. The rotating control panels were an afterthought and designed and built after the cabinet had already been built.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2022, 03:40:05 am »
Nothing to update for progress as I managed to fall, hit my head, black out, get a minor brain bleed and spend some "quality" time in the hospital.  I can finally start looking at screens for a short period of time again without getting a migraine.

Anyway, since I am still not feeling great and not up to woodworking, I thought I would work on getting the PC setup and try to decide what I want to do with my marquee.  I really liked my old CP artwork, but apparently don't have an old copy of it on any of my old backups.  Want to try something with the old artwork on the CNC .

I have ZERO recollection of where I found the artwork, I know it is a longshot, but does anyone still around from 15 years ago have this artwork in their collection?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,166063.msg1751269.html#msg1751269

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2022, 07:51:34 am »
Good luck.  It's a lot more work than you think.

I gave up on my rotating project due to lack of time and change of circumstance (suddenly had room for many more cabs, no need for an all-in-one solution).

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2022, 10:23:00 am »
Nothing to update for progress as I managed to fall, hit my head, black out, get a minor brain bleed and spend some "quality" time in the hospital.  I can finally start looking at screens for a short period of time again without getting a migraine.

Anyway, since I am still not feeling great and not up to woodworking, I thought I would work on getting the PC setup and try to decide what I want to do with my marquee.  I really liked my old CP artwork, but apparently don't have an old copy of it on any of my old backups.  Want to try something with the old artwork on the CNC .

I have ZERO recollection of where I found the artwork, I know it is a longshot, but does anyone still around from 15 years ago have this artwork in their collection?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,166063.msg1751269.html#msg1751269

holy smokes, dude, I hope you're okay, and that there aren't any lingering effects!!!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2022, 09:42:00 am »
I'd come up with something new for that artwork.

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2022, 05:09:20 pm »
Ok - I am back to working on this following the head injury and a well needed 10 day vacation in Mexico.  Starting back up on the woodworking, but did get the PC setup with games and emulators working.  Also got a 32" monitor to put in the cab.