Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Get an error message every time I try to upload an avatar  (Read 4593 times)

jimj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 10:55:09 pm
Get an error message every time I try to upload an avatar
« on: January 08, 2022, 03:03:13 pm »
I get this error message every time I try to upload an avatar:
The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile:
The avatar you have selected is either too large or not an avatar.

How can I upload my own avatar? 
I've tried uploading an image as small as 32x36 pixels (20 KB) so I don't think it's a size problem, but I don't know what the image requirements are.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Get an error message every time I try to upload an avatar
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 08:37:58 pm »
I get this error message every time I try to upload an avatar:
The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile:
The avatar you have selected is either too large or not an avatar.

How can I upload my own avatar? 
I've tried uploading an image as small as 32x36 pixels (20 KB) so I don't think it's a size problem, but I don't know what the image requirements are.
The forum software auto-resizes avatar images so, like you said, that's probably not the actual problem.
- You can use larger images, but something in the 70x70px to 120x120px size range should require little to no resizing by the forum software.
- For example, PBJ recently updated his avatar to this 750x1000px image.

1. What file type is it?
Allowed file types: txt, jpg, gif, pdf, png, zip, rar, jpeg, skp, svg, ai, gif, 7z

2. Can you upload your avatar to the Not a Project thread then point to the uploaded image URL using the "Specify avatar by URL" option in your Forum Profile?

If your avatar won't upload there, it'll probably be due to a false positive for "failed security checks".
- If that happens, you can do a slight resize, crop, or image edit to work around it.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160116.0.html

Scott

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 09:03:51 pm »
If your avatar won't upload there, it'll probably be due to a false positive for "failed security checks".
Thanks for the tips.  Yes, I got failed security check there for multiple versions of my file.  However, I found another avatar image at another website I could link to via URL and that's working for me.  This avatar is the same character, only the color is wrong so I can live with it.  :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 10:27:59 pm »
Not sure why you're having problems with uploading different versions of that avatar.   :dunno

What color did you want?

This remix only took a few seconds and 10 mouse-clicks in MSPaint.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 10:29:54 pm by PL1 »

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 11:22:23 pm »
Not sure why you're having problems with uploading different versions of that avatar.   :dunno

What color did you want?

This remix only took a few seconds and 10 mouse-clicks in MSPaint.   ;D

Scott
Thanks!  Of course I wanted orange, the same as my K.C. Munchkin jack-o-lantern.  :)

I took the updated image you created, downloaded it and then tried to upload it to my profile and got the same error.  It would appear I'm unable to upload any images to the forum.  However, I was able to use the image you modified by referencing it via its URL.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 01:10:02 am »
Thanks!  Of course I wanted orange, the same as my K.C. Munchkin jack-o-lantern.  :)
Glad to assist.   ;D

I went with orange because of your earlier Space Invader avatar.

Is it the right shade of orange?
- If so, that was a really lucky guess.   :lol
- If not, please feel free to pick a preferable pantone shade or other image that I can sample from.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pantone+orange&t=h_&iax=images&ia=images

I took the updated image you created, downloaded it and then tried to upload it to my profile and got the same error.  It would appear I'm unable to upload any images to the forum.  However, I was able to use the image you modified by referencing it via its URL.
That's wierd. 

I've been hit with false positive security checks before but not on this image.   :dunno
- The MD5 hash for the file I uploaded is 296EAC400E7FD3C5187EAD02E1928DBB.
- If the file you tried to upload matches that hash, you shouldn't get a false positive AFAIK.

Checked your e-mail, hostname, and the IPs you've posted from and they all come back clean so we can probably eliminate them as possible causes for the false positives.

Any chance you've got some virus/malware activity on your system?

Scott

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 08:47:10 am »
I went with orange because of your earlier Space Invader avatar.

Is it the right shade of orange?
I've been hit with false positive security checks before but not on this image.   :dunno
- The MD5 hash for the file I uploaded is 296EAC400E7FD3C5187EAD02E1928DBB.
- If the file you tried to upload matches that hash, you shouldn't get a false positive AFAIK.

Checked your e-mail, hostname, and the IPs you've posted from and they all come back clean so we can probably eliminate them as possible causes for the false positives.

Any chance you've got some virus/malware activity on your system?

Scott

That's funny.  The shade of orange you picked works for me (my jack-o-lantern avatar isn't a single shade of orange).

I double checked the MD5 of the image I tried uploading, it matches yours.

Regarding malware, I don't have any unless you consider Linux a virus.  :)  My desktop computer is running CentOS Linux 7.9.2009.  I've tried using Firefox 91.4.0esr and Google Chrome 97.0.4692.71, they both give the same error.  So maybe this forum software is somehow detecting my OS and rejecting me because of that?

What a weird issue, thanks for helping.