Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rolling Vertical Sync with CRT Emudriver  (Read 1976 times)

punkfungus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2023, 01:09:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rolling Vertical Sync with CRT Emudriver
« on: December 28, 2021, 12:28:00 am »
Hi, I just discovered CRT Emudriver but I have an issue that I can't figured it out.
I just bought a Visiontek Radeon HD 5450, everything is ok until I Enable EDID emulation with VMMaker.
I swap from my LCD to my arcade monitor Well Gardner 25K7191 but I get a rolling vertical image on Win7.
I know it's not my monitor because I'm running SF2CE with my jamma board and before I try Emudriver I was running a GBS8100 video converter and it was ok but the image wasn't so clean.
with Jamma and GBS8100 I use HorzSync- for the sync with my monitor but with Emudriver I try every sync Horz+/- and Vert+/- and I don't get a stable image.
What's weird is that when I switch off the monitor I can see the win7 desktop stable for 1sec. I hardly tested my cable.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
Re: Rolling Vertical Sync with CRT Emudriver
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 02:32:28 am »
Looks like your GBS8100 expects composite sync on the horizontal. That is what your JAMMA board outputs. Try enabling composite sync in CRTEMU.
Check out my completed projects!

punkfungus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 09:31:55 pm »
Ok I got it, 1st time I tried with composite sync but I had to plug the Vsync wire to my CRT.
I retry it with without the composite sync and it works.
It's weird that I have to put Hsync & Vsync with CRTEMU but only Hsync with the Jamma or my old GBS8100.
At least it work now.

Thanks for the cue.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 12:00:49 am »
Not really sure what your setup is to take RGBHV from PC to TV, but looks like you're having issues getting proper csync out of CRTEMU.

Don't forget that PC sync voltages are much higher than what the TV expects. You should put some resistors (~470 to 1000 ohms) on the H+V lines to bring the voltages down.

When you join H+V syncs by just connecting the wires, which I guess you've done, you get what I call "smushy csync". It is sufficient for most old CRT TVs, but not perfect. The main effects are seen around the vertical sync/retrace period, where the TV's sync tracking can get lost. Some TVs don't like it at all, some TVs have a squiggle near the top of the screen as the TV works things out, sometimes other symptoms. Even so, some TVs are OK even with no vertical sync input at all, so long as the rest of the signal is fairly predictable.

punkfungus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 09:55:29 am »
My setup is an Radeon HD 5450 to VGA cāble after it's goes to an arcade monitor Well Gardner 25k7191.
My Vsync and Hsync use seperate wires pin13 and pin14 from vga cable.
The picture is very clean except that I need to raise the contrast compare to my SF2CE jamma board.
I can run both MAME and PCB Jamma on my cabinet.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 07:34:06 pm »
My setup is an Radeon HD 5450 to VGA cāble after it's goes to an arcade monitor Well Gardner 25k7191.
My Vsync and Hsync use seperate wires pin13 and pin14 from vga cable.

If running with a proper arcade monitor then sync should be at appropriate V levels already, no need for resistors. However, you will need to boost the RGB signals.

You will have issues with "smushy sync", which I detailed earlier.

The picture is very clean except that I need to raise the contrast compare to my SF2CE jamma board.
I can run both MAME and PCB Jamma on my cabinet.

You need a video amplifier to boost the RGB signals (NOT the sync) to arcade monitor levels, around 2-3 times what VGA cards outputs RGB at. Ultimarc sell a reasonably priced video amp to bring PC RGB up to arcade monitor RGB levels.

punkfungus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 11:16:37 pm »
I surely have a look at this RGB amplifier if this stop me adjusting the knob everytime.
Now I'm checking out GroovyMAME, Fatal error on start-up gotta re-check my config, surely post soon on this.