Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Professional furniture designer / builder.. interested in high end arcade  (Read 3174 times)

blueriderdesign

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 12:23:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi,

I run a small business designing and building high end furniture.  I've thought about this arcade space quite a bit and I'd like to get involved.

I would love to create a piece that looked like well-made furniture vs a typical arcade style cabinet (painted with branding / logos / etc).  My vision is to use wood veneers vs paint for the finish.  These wood veneers could be used to make images, words, etc.  I would not have hardware showing anywhere on the case that was visible to the user.  I am open to exploring art made by others (vectorized for CNC use) images for the veneer (purchased / licensed from artist legally). 

Option 1 - Buy a pre-cut out stand up arcade (not assembled)

Using standard wood veneers and standard edge banding (wood veneer).  Price does not include the CNC'd sheets or shipping (expect ~$100 shipping): Starting at $1500

I use Raw Veneer which is thicker than the veneer on pre-veneered products, making it much more durable.  Raw veneer also allows for way cooler woods and the ability to center veneers on a panel.  See VeneerSupplies.com for examples of neat veneers.  The lower range price would be for any mix of veneer (price subject to veneer cost.  I used maple and cherry for this example), but no patterns or images made of veneer per flat panel.  If possible, I would fill any pre-made drilling holes and create pocket screw holes for you.  I would provide the screws required for assembly.  My goal is to find a 'hardware-less' look from the user standpoint.  Ships back to you in panels for construction. 

I'm happy to purchase the CNC'd panels for you or have you ship them to me.

Option 2 - Complete Custom Build

Because this is a new environment for me, I'm willing to mark down my cost for the first one or two as long as you are you comfortable with the project taking longer than normal.  I have complete confidence that the end product would be amazing, but I'm not yet confident on how long it would take as the process would be new to me.  I assume two months (8 weeks) minimum. 

The cost would be dependent on the complexity of the images, type of veneer used, shape of cabinet, cabinet construction, etc.  Note that with me, we could (if you wanted) get away from the cabinet shapes currently seen, we could construct the panels more like an actual kitchen cabinet (with stiles, rails and panels, trim, etc) or stick with the current CNC look. 

You can check out my work on my website (best) or my IG (second best). I also have Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Facebook but I'm still getting the other socials caught up with IG.  I'm almost done designing, building and installing a cool mostly walnut wet bar with stainless steel top and walnut floating shelf.  Those photos should be available at the end of Jan.  This would give some idea of what I can do in the cabinet world.

Option 3: Anything in between

If you're interested in something that doesn't fit these two extremes / options, feel free to contact me.  I'm open to most high quality and artistic minded projects.  Crazy ideas welcome. 

Last, but not least, please keep in mind I'm a woodworker / furniture builder and I will need to learn the ins and outs of the electrical side as needed, but I have no expectations of providing the electrical components at this time. 

Cheers,

IG: blueriderdesign
Web: https://blueriderdesign.studio