Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: X-arcade trackball help  (Read 2368 times)

bingdude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2022, 10:38:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
X-arcade trackball help
« on: December 23, 2021, 09:13:51 am »
Hi all,

I am trying to get my older x-arcade trackball with ps2/usb connector to work on the newer ipac2 with trackball pins.  When I plug in the usb to a pc the trackball works fine.  When I hook up the trackball to the ipac2 pins the trackball doesn't work.  I know I am doing something wrong.  I thought I mapped out +5, data1, data2, GND correctly from the pcb.  I am only trying to work off the smaller pcb board (GJQ-2) in the attached pictures and only trying the X-axis.  I didn't think I would need to use the larger pcb board.  Any help or assistance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: X-arcade trackball help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 12:49:04 pm »
I am trying to get my older x-arcade trackball with ps2/usb connector to work on the newer ipac2 with trackball pins.  When I plug in the usb to a pc the trackball works fine.  When I hook up the trackball to the ipac2 pins the trackball doesn't work.  I know I am doing something wrong.  I thought I mapped out +5, data1, data2, GND correctly from the pcb.  I am only trying to work off the smaller pcb board (GJQ-2) in the attached pictures and only trying the X-axis.  I didn't think I would need to use the larger pcb board.
1. Is there a reason you don't just use the built-in 82M98A encoder chip that I assume is still working?

2. Are either of the data lines stuck high or low? (bad opto or wiring)
If the optos are working correctly you should get the pattern of logic highs and lows shown below when you slowly turn the encoder wheel clockwise.
- If you turn the encoder wheel clockwise, you move from phase 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 1 . . .
- If you turn the encoder wheel counter-clockwise, you move from phase 1 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 . . .

3. This could be a case of connecting an "active high" device to an "active low" encoder.  What are the logic high and low voltages?
Active high and active low devices have different voltage ranges for logc high and logc low.
-If the higher voltage of the square wave doesn't reach above the upper dashed line voltage, the encoder won't read it as logic high ==> stuck in phase 1. (both low)
-If the lower voltage of the square wave doesn't reach below the lower dashed line voltage, the encoder won't read it as logic low ==> stuck in phase 3. (both high)

Scott

bingdude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2022, 10:38:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 03:56:49 pm »
I am trying to get my older x-arcade trackball with ps2/usb connector to work on the newer ipac2 with trackball pins.  When I plug in the usb to a pc the trackball works fine.  When I hook up the trackball to the ipac2 pins the trackball doesn't work.  I know I am doing something wrong.  I thought I mapped out +5, data1, data2, GND correctly from the pcb.  I am only trying to work off the smaller pcb board (GJQ-2) in the attached pictures and only trying the X-axis.  I didn't think I would need to use the larger pcb board.

Thanks for the reply Scott.

1. Is there a reason you don't just use the built-in 82M98A encoder chip that I assume is still working?

It is still working.  Is there any benefit to using ipac2 vs. the 82m98a encoder?  Short of gaining an USB port using the ipac.

I think I measured the wires correctly connected to GJQ-2.  Red. white, and brown measured +5V.

If the optos are working correctly you should get the pattern of logic highs and lows shown below when you slowly turn the encoder wheel clockwise.
- If you turn the encoder wheel clockwise, you move from phase 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 1 . . .
- If you turn the encoder wheel counter-clockwise, you move from phase 1 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 . . .

3. This could be a case of connecting an "active high" device to an "active low" encoder.  What are the logic high and low voltages?

Sounds like I could be stuck on logic high.

Active high and active low devices have different voltage ranges for logc high and logc low.
-If the higher voltage of the square wave doesn't reach above the upper dashed line voltage, the encoder won't read it as logic high ==> stuck in phase 1. (both low)
-If the lower voltage of the square wave doesn't reach below the lower dashed line voltage, the encoder won't read it as logic low ==> stuck in phase 3. (both high)

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 06:58:52 pm »
It is still working.  Is there any benefit to using ipac2 vs. the 82m98a encoder?  Short of gaining an USB port using the ipac.
If the 82M98A encoder is still working, you might as well use it unless you have backspin problems.
- That said, changing encoders won't help if the problem is slow response in the optical circuits. i.e. Old Happ "green board" optical PCBs can cause backspin problems, but the newer Happ "red board" PCBs will not.

Trying to use the "active low" IPac is more work for no added benefit and it's even more work if the trackball opto circuits are "active high".

If you decide to use the 82M98A encoder and it's still working properly, you can ignore the rest of this post.   ;)

I think I measured the wires correctly connected to GJQ-2.  Red. white, and brown measured +5V.
Sounds like I could be stuck on logic high.
Either the encoder wheel could be in the "Phase 3" position (both data lines high) or you're testing without the encoder wheel so neither optical path is blocked and both are in the same data state or the optical circuits are bad and you have stuck data lines.

Try this to confirm if the data lines can change voltage levels:
- If the encoder wheel is in place so it can block/unblock the optical path, slowly move the encoder wheel and see if the data line voltage goes up/down as you change between phases.
- If the encoder wheel is not in place so it can block/unblock the optical path, use a thin piece of cardboard to block/unblock the optical path.

If the data lines can change voltage, what are the actual high and low voltage readings?  i.e. 0.2v low and 4.4v high.

Scott

bollwerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2023, 08:27:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 06:24:15 pm »
For what it's worth, I found the Suzo-Happ trackball to be a drop in replacement for the X-Arcade Tankstick trackball. I just manually created my own molex connector (with parts from digikey.com) for it (not required, but I wanted a clean install), and wired it to a harness which plugs into my U-HID board.

Just another option to consider.

Item number: 56-0110-11   
TRACKBALL ASSY 3" WHITE HIGH-BALL W/ STANDARD HARNESS   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 06:26:04 pm by bollwerk »