Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any Sacramento area people who can service an arcade pedestal?  (Read 2941 times)

GamesRfun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2022, 12:56:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Any Sacramento area people who can service an arcade pedestal?
« on: December 21, 2021, 01:04:22 pm »
I bought a used pedestal.

I opened the computer to add some memory and then the computer and pedestal would start up, but power would just cut off (no shut down sequence) randomly after.  I opened the computer again to check if there were any loose wires and now the pedestal (which is connected to the computer so the power button on the pedestal starts the pedestal and computer) will not power on.  The 24 pin power source is tightly connected to the motherboard (and I didn't want to force if off to reconnect it).  I plan on taking the memory sticks out and replace them one at at time to see if one of the sticks is bad.

I (stupidly) didn't loosen all of the wires around the computer when I took it out and had to replace my HDMI cable.  No other wires appear to have not been damaged, but now that I'm having issues I can't be sure.

Are their any suggestions?  On what I should do to troubleshoot the issue?  I'm a newbie here so any help would be appreciated.  thanks.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 04:12:21 pm by GamesRfun »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re: Any Sacramento area people who can service an arcade pedestal?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 03:40:58 pm »
I just want to make sure I understand the sequence of events.

You added more RAM.

After that, you state the computer would start, and then shut down.

When you say that, do you mean,

the computer would display POST, and then loading of the game system, then shut down, OR

do you mean that the fans would spin and then the system would shut off.

Did you remember to reconnect all of your cooling fans, especially the CPU cooling fan

GamesRfun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 04:11:17 pm »
thanks for the question so I can correct myself.

The computer would start and I was able to play games on my pedestal as it was meant to be, but after about 30 min to 3 hours the power would just die from everything (pedestal controls, fan, and computer).  it's like a power outage, so there was no shut down sequence.  This is what led me to believe that the fan might be out because it might have overheated.

Now the pedestal will not start up.

The TV that is on the same outlet would stay on, so i know that it's not an issue w/ the outlet power.

I meant to disconnect the 24pin from the motherboard, but it was so tight that I just left it.  So it is still connected.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 04:22:34 pm by GamesRfun »

GamesRfun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 02:52:57 am »
***Update***

Spent about 4 hours trying to isolate everything and finally found that it was a bad power cord to the computer.  Looking back this seems like such an obvious easy issue that I should have checked first.  Live and learn and thank anyone that read this thread that even considered helping.  These arcades are great when they work but so frustrating when they don't.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 09:06:14 am »
***Update***

Spent about 4 hours trying to isolate everything and finally found that it was a bad power cord to the computer.  Looking back this seems like such an obvious easy issue that I should have checked first.  Live and learn and thank anyone that read this thread that even considered helping.  These arcades are great when they work but so frustrating when they don't.

don't beat yourself up over that - a bad power cord? On something that had been JUST working? Probably would have been one of the last things I would have looked at.

Last year I got a service call for a brand new cocktail multigame. No display, would play blind.

Turned out to be the video cable. Luckily, we had one on hand, but it took quite a bit of time to diagnose because the whole unit was brand new, and these don't go bad often.