Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Christmas Presesnts 2021  (Read 4392 times)

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Christmas Presesnts 2021
« on: December 15, 2021, 01:35:05 pm »
Kicking this off a bit before Christmas, in case there are some good gift ideas in the mix that can be shared. So --

What are you giving?

What are you getting (that you know about already)?

Any clever gifts this year?

Anyone doing anything unique to celebrate?

Bonus points if anyone some awesome lights/decor to share.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
Re: Christmas Presesnts 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 04:04:04 pm »
The older my kids get the harder they are to buy stuff for.  They like to run so they are getting some fancy watches they asked for.  Even the little one only asked for Robux for Roblox - I might as well light my money on fire.  I bought a PS5 a few months ago and my wife is going to wrap it up for me for Christmas morning with a bunch of games... I bought myself a 77" LG C1 last week because I needed a 4K TV for the PS5. 

Nothing really creative and nothing unique this year... well, I am building 2 cabs for my nieces and nephews so I guess that's something.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 10:55:26 pm »
I bought a Google Stadia because it’s not Christmas without a game system under the tree and I’m not convinced on PS5 or XboxWhatever yet.  It was like $20 with a game and I wanted a Chromecast for one of my old TVs anyway.  I’ve briefly played it on a web browser on my potato PC and we are damn close to the end of consoles.

Everyone else is getting high quality consumables.  I give up on being thoughtful.

:cheers:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 11:19:17 am »
We only have one kid left at home and they are now officially all out of their teens.  So Christmas will be a lot more subdued this year.  My daughter has us searching for vinyl records and my youngest wants actual physical CD's so that is fun.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 11:21:55 am »
I bought a Google Stadia because it’s not Christmas without a game system under the tree and I’m not convinced on PS5 or XboxWhatever yet.  It was like $20 with a game and I wanted a Chromecast for one of my old TVs anyway.  I’ve briefly played it on a web browser on my potato PC and we are damn close to the end of consoles.

Everyone else is getting high quality consumables.  I give up on being thoughtful.

:cheers:

Does the Stadia play games you already own for Android or do you have to purchase Stadia-specific games?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 12:57:54 pm »
No idea, bro.  I just briefly played some spaceship BS with amazing graphics to see what the lag time and such was like.  The game I bought was the new Life is Strange so lag ain't gonna matter much anyway.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:54:08 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 03:38:53 pm »

What are you giving?

Not as much as usual.  Focusing on the grandkids and elderly parents.  Times are getting tougher and will get more so.  But Dad always liked Genealogy, so Mom and Dad got DNA kits for one of their gifts.

What are you getting (that you know about already)?

I already received a super nice steel/oak workbench for all of my lathe and CNC/mill tooling.
Any clever gifts this year?

Just a gift to ourselves.  50lbs of Mung beans and a sprout grower.  Turns out that fresh bean sprouts are fast and easy to grow, if you are into Asian cooking, and good food insurance for the possibly rocky times ahead :)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 09:47:22 pm »
my dad is getting 4 led shop lights for his garage.
some little gifts for the kids and then gift cards for steam or ebay.
i'm fixing my moms 1960's sears and robuck sewing machine.
she's owned it since then and it stopped working. it's either the pedal switch or the motor.
I'm digging into it this weekend.
gift cards for my siblings.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 03:00:00 pm »
Gaming related, I got one of these emulator consoles for my girlfriends son. It's not a bad portable emulator. Has nes, snes, genesis, gameboy/color and advance. Also has mame neo geo and cps1. Was surprised that it played super fx games on the snes. Games can be added and removed with drag and drop on the SD card.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 10:31:42 pm »
The adult kids and their spouses all got cash, the college age one still gets loot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 11:52:29 pm »
The adult kids and their spouses all got cash, the college age one still gets loot.

Would you mind adopting a 36 year old man?
%Bartop

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 12:16:00 am »
2 generations of family called a gift truce and piled together $$ to get off our little volcanic blip and go meet in Park City and play in the snow for a week.
Hopefully we get more snow here and I remember how to snowboard after 15 years of not (and I don't mangle myself because I forgot how old I am.)

Happy Holidays y'all !
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 08:53:17 am »
Hi Guys! And Merry Christmas!
I give my grown kids money. I usually put a check in a box so they have something to open.
The grandkids are hard to buy for. I ask for a list from each (I have 4 and a newborn now). My second granddaughter gave me a list last week, after I already bought all of her presents. LOL
We will have our get together on the day after Christmas.
We play dirty santa each year.
This year i put an old AOL floppy disk in a cigar box. LOL. Im a mean pappy santa!!  :applaud:
Of course who ever gets it wont realize the value of the cigar box to store stuff in.  :cheers: