Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The expanse final season has started.  (Read 6703 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
The expanse final season has started.
« on: December 12, 2021, 07:35:17 pm »
Just a friendly reminder for all my fellow sci-fi nerds.   I'm sure opt2not will be chiming in eventually.  :)   The first episode of the season was strong but I don't know....   somewhere around halfway through the last season it turned from something completely unique in the genre to a more standard space show.   It isn't a bad space show by any means, it's quite good but I don't know, I think it is wise to wrap it up before it goes bad.   I wasn't a big fan of the doom and gloom ending of last season so I'm really counting on the writers sticking the landing for a more upbeat finale.   

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Re: The expanse final season has started.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 08:41:42 pm »
Oof, I've still got seasons 4 & 5 to watch... guess I better get on those.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 06:52:54 pm »
When the ring system was revealed I was afraid it would turn into just another Star Trek/Stargate style planet of the week type show.  I am glad it didn't go that direction after moving to Amazon.

I enjoy the show mainly for its unique style, but the current bad guy storyline isn't as good as the protomolecule mystery.  Hopefully it will shift back toward a mystery or imaginative sci-fi concept before the season ends.  There is still the question of what Mars is up to on other worlds (probably utilizing the protomolecule).

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 06:04:21 am »
I cannot get past the first 3 episodes.  It’s so slow.  I need to just plow through because I keep hearing how good this show is.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 10:00:46 am »
I quite like the show but the books are even better.  They did a great job with the show casting as well as editing the story for tv.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 11:06:29 am »
Oh man I love this show. First episode of this new season has me excited for some crazy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- to go down on all fronts. Lots of foretelling hints in this episode that I won’t spoil, but it’s shaping up to be a great final season. Can’t wait for Friday’s episode 2 to release!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 07:42:39 pm »
I cannot get past the first 3 episodes.  It’s so slow.  I need to just plow through because I keep hearing how good this show is.

It is a bit slow in the early stages as there is a lot of world-building. It does pick up and I remember liking Season 2 & 3 a lot more than Season 1.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 07:46:46 pm by shponglefan »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 09:36:57 pm »
What i like about the expanse is the technology is more advanced in certain fields than others.
space travel for instance, no inertial dampeners or artificial gravity.
people need magnetic boots.

I'm glad they are exploring the ring planets more.
I actually like the formula of a new planet or stargate address.
however after first episode i don't think it will go that way.
something bigger is on the horizon.

also, Amos is my favorite character.
'remember that time you threatened to shoot me? did you mean it?'
'yes, but i didn't know you then'
'what about now?'
i know you and don't want to shoot you'
'ok, we are cool'

or something close to that.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 07:37:24 am »
Ho lee sheeit, episode 2 of this season was damn good. Probably one of the best episodes I’ve seen in a while from this show. Action, insights, foreshadowing, reunions… super packed ep! That chase scene was so awesome!!  So far I’m really feeling good about this final season.

also, Amos is my favorite character.
Agreed on your points. I also like Amos.

But my favourite character is Bobby Draper.  Badass, no bs taking, tough as nails. Same with Drummer who is also a fav.  Her and Camina Drummer both have grown on me since early on, and I’ve really liked their depth of character development over the seasons. They’ve had some real honest moments in their stories that has given you a great view of the landscape of their personalities.
Bobby with her return to civilian life after the crazy stuff that went down with the proto-molecule , her defection, and her new role. Drummer with her loyalty changes, her internal struggle of her roots, and her change from a station leader to a salvage crew captain caught up in the war. Awesome storylines!

After episode 2 of this season I still think this show is maintaining their uniqueness in the sci-fi realm. It was really a fun watch.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 04:31:52 pm »
What i like about the expanse is the technology is more advanced in certain fields than others.

No shields either. Really gives the impression that space travel is just hurling through space in a thin-skinned can.

And especially so during the combat sequences.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 07:03:23 pm »

No shields either. Really gives the impression that space travel is just hurling through space in a thin-skinned can.

And especially so during the combat sequences.

i forgot about the no shields.
they all have to wear suits when in combat because you can loose atmosphere.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 02:24:02 pm »
foreshadowing

I started re-watching the series and holy crap is this series chocked full of foreshadowing.
This is from season 1 (spoilers)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 08:35:11 pm »
I'm feeling better about the season after that episode.   I love Bobby btw, but I'm still team Amos for the time being..... I don't know, he just seems to be evolving more as a character.   Bobby is as well but it's more like she's evolving plot points instead of actual emotional growth.     My fear about the season is it'll be all about this weak-sauce terrorism plot instead of the proto-molecule and the exploration of it's architects and those worlds on the other side of the gates.   9/11 was 20 years ago and sci-fi shows need to find something else to write about. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 08:38:04 am »
I was looking to see how many episodes are left (cancelling prime).
Only 6 episodes in this season.
Only one episode left. 

That sucks. 
Episode 5 was so good.

I'm glad to see the Marco saga wrap up, but am afraid that won't leave much time for whatever type of protomolecule reveal is coming.
  :'(

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 11:17:42 pm »
Episode 5 was awesome! The Drummer/Nagata scene was super powerful, the f-bomb part got me choked up.

It sucks that there are only 6 episodes in this season. After I finish up my current book, I’m going to start reading the Expanse books. I think there are 2 more books yet to be written in the set so I got time to catch up to current. I know there are some differences, but I really want more to the story in general.

It’s wild that the creator of the expanse originally wrote this story as a premise for an MMO game.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 10:52:33 pm »
I finally started.  Just finished Season 1 Episode 9.  It’s really good.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2022, 02:41:54 pm »
Just finished Season 5 last night.  Wow.  Only 6 episodes to go - I don't want it to end...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 05:08:44 pm »
Finished The Expanse last night... I think I want another season. It was a good ending but there were a LOT of unanswered questions.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 05:20:53 pm »
Finished The Expanse last night... I think I want another season. It was a good ending but there were a LOT of unanswered questions.

I think they are out of books though.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 05:55:01 pm »

From what I can tell, the show stops at book 6 or 7 and there are 9 books total.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2022, 08:33:29 pm »
Imho the season was a waste.   I'm not saying it wasn't done well as it was, but space terrorists are boring and predictable as hell.  I wish they would have did a time jump past this war so we could have gotten a final season involving something more interesting.  This is the second time it has been cancelled so I figure getting those other three books on the screen is a long shot at this point.   

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2022, 03:49:45 pm »
I wouldn't write off the Expanse as done and dusted just yet. Its finished on Amazon with the expected 6th season ending. The time jump you mentioned was a season 7 event with a 30 year leap forward. The sets, and infrastructure for the show are staying put for the time being, there may be a movie/s or Netflix pick-up or other.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2022, 05:57:25 pm »

From what I can tell, the show stops at book 6 or 7 and there are 9 books total.

I read they covered all the books on one of those nerd fanboy sites.
though now that i think about it the same site had an article about someone suiting up for a superhero show and it was just an actor someone had photoshopped a costume onto.
so probably should of gone to the next link in my google search about season 7.

I want to know what the martians did with the proto molecule.
I want to see what happens to the creepy undead children.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2022, 09:57:47 pm »

Yep.  At least Amazon didn't ruin it.  It could have gone the way of The Man in High Castle.  :lol

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2023, 09:16:56 am »

Total necro-post here, but, ehhhh... don't care

I wanted to know the answers to all this shiz too, so I actually started reading the books a couple of months back. I'm just slightly over halfway through book 5 at the moment and I really can't wait to get into totally uncharted waters with books 7-9.

Despite having watched all 6 series from start to finish (twice - not something I do often), I'm absolutely loving the books. The ultimate destination the books end up at is more-or-less the same as the individual seasons (although some of them sort of blend into each other a bit), but sometimes the journey to get to that destination is slightly different. Some characters are very different too, with throwaway characters in the books having much bigger arcs in the show and vice-versa. Drummer for example, has only just been introduced in book 5. Her arc from Seasons 2 3 and 4 is shared between a couple of different characters. Bull from Season 5 has an awesome hero arc in an earlier book. Ashford is a far more unsympathetic character in the books than the series, where he actually went on to become a genuinely cool character. Book Ashford is a bit of knob. Havelock gets a far bigger arc in the books.

Anyway, what I'm basically saying is, if you loved the show, you should definitely give the books a try. They're like really easy reading hard sci-fi.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2023, 05:43:06 am »
OK, finally finished the main book series of this last month and have now just been doing all the novellas and short stories too. Books 7-9 are epic and take the story in quite a different direction and moves the main storyline forward by quite a number of years. The ultimate fate of the undead Protomolecule children is very much tied into the main story, as is Laconia, the colony world that you just get a brief look at in series 6 of the show.

I cannot recommend these highly enough. If you've seen the show and don't want to rehash familiar territory with the first 6 books, I think people would be fine just jumping straight in with book 7 and being able to figure out some of the small differences themselves (really the main thing is someone who died in the show, because the actor who plays them got 'cancelled' in real life, who's still alive in the books). I would recommend not doing this though and reading the whole lot from book 1.