Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Talking computers should look the part (Amazon Echo little project)  (Read 1132 times)

Dermbrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
The new Amazon Echo Pop has a front firing speaker, making it more suitable for re-packaging into almost any object large enough to hold it. 

The kill switch 'turns off' the higher-level processing power (Flashing LED's and "Predictive Logic" and "Sentience" solid LED's). Only the "Automate Home" level remains lit. This is pretty necessary as the sound activated relay keeps resetting during quiet song passages.  Sorry for the exacto knife hack job on the solid-color cardboard (presentation board).  No 3D printer......

My expectations for talking computers were set by movies like "Colossus: The Forbin Project", the Gary Seven episode of Star Trek, and as someone pointed out maybe Dr Theopolis from Buck Rogers.  Hockey pucks tucked in the corner of the kitchen are OK, but the whole idea of a Talking Computer(!) seems bigger than the form factor that we get to buy.

https://youtube.com/shorts/pxxkj0k_hHk?feature=share

Instructable

https://www.instructables.com/Amazon-Echo-Pop-Turned-Into-1960-ish-Science-Ficti/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 05:30:50 pm by Dermbrian »

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
Re: Talking computers should look the part (Amazon Echo little project)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 03:56:55 pm »
Star Trek Next Gen nailed the talking computer. I always thought it would be cool if you could change your alexa to match that voice and sound effects.

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:26:32 pm
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 04:13:36 pm »
Star Trek Next Gen nailed the talking computer. I always thought it would be cool if you could change your alexa to match that voice and sound effects.
I'm surprised nobody has found a way (or maybe they have and I just didnt hear about it) to hack or jailbreak these things so you could add your own custom sound effects to them. Amazon did have a few celebrity voices available, but I found out they discontinued those when I got a notice a few days ago that my Samuel L. Jackson voice for mine was no longer available.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:01:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 07:20:40 pm »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 10:57:10 am »
PBJ: Werent you the voice for the Joshua computer on War Games?