Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What's the thing you hate most about a game you really like?  (Read 6097 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
What's the thing you hate most about a game you really like?
« on: December 12, 2021, 05:00:44 pm »
For example, I'm a big fan of Eternal Champions and the Sega CD version is great except.......
the "last boss" is a 9 round fight against the Eternal Champion followed up by a 9 round fight against the Dark Champion. You get back big chunks of your life bar every time you beat one of the ECs/DCs forms but if you lose a round its over. 

Did I mention how ---smurfing--- difficult the AI is?
Thank goodness for the Senator's deep cross over roundhouse, standing medium kick, into forward fierce!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: What's the thing you hate most about a game you really like?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 05:35:18 pm »
Super Street Fighter II Turbo US version: the bug that has the CPU difficulty always set to the hardest setting regardless what you have it set at. I hate that bug.

This doesn’t happen in the Japanese version.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 06:25:31 pm »
Horizon Zero Dawn - you are constantly, and I mean constantly, pulling up the map.  And every single time you do, it plays the same song from the beginning.  And the song starts with a loud booming sound.

It got so bad at times I’d mute the TV. 

Link to the Past for Gameboy Advance was ruined by adding “hyuh hyuh HIYAH!” to the sword swings.  I should see if someone fixed that in a rom patch.  ---goshdarn--- I was so mad about that $30.

Control for Xbox One has map colors that are very, very difficult for me to see the differences.  I’ve been meaning to send them an email and beg for a colorblindness patch as it’s an otherwise very interesting game.

:cheers:

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 02:48:41 pm »
fallout 4.

all they had to do was keep doing what they where doing and things would have been fine. just ride the coat tails of new vegas... dump a new storyline into a new engine and boom fallout 4...

but nope, they had to mess stuff around and make half the game...not playing it? why do i need to build crap? why are we waning to setup trade?

they say it's 150 some hours worth of game, but 149 of it is walking from place to place.

if you mainline fallout 4 and ignore all the building of the camps and crap, (because it literally serves no purpose) you can casually finish it in the better part of a day...you can casually "speedrun" it in a couple hours (most of it is walking long distances) actual leveled gameplay minus traveling is under an hour of content.

if you sit there and setup trade posts and crap you can literally never finish it because this garbage doesn't progress the game at all.

it bums me out cause it looks great, it plays pretty good, but there could have been so much more story to it. (ignoring DLC's and mods)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 09:57:35 am »
doesn't sound like a game you really like to me /shrug
Building is 100% optional as well. My only  *major* gripe with FO4 is Preston constantly telling me about settlements needing my help.

The intro garage level of Driver (easily the hardest part of the game, that locks you out from the rest of the game)

The Gummi ship in Kingdom Hearts (this is a DQ for me as I don't really like the KH games)

Ocarina of Time's Water temple can eat a dick, I got lost in there with a strategy guide and a notebook where I was drawing maps and taking notes like I was doing cartography homework. Also constantly equipping and unequipping the boots is bothersome (allegedly fixed in the DS version to be mappable gear)

Blue Shells in Mario Kart

License tests in Gran Turismo
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

classicjoe72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 11:23:40 am
  • I want to build a Fix-It-Felix Jr.!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 08:46:07 am »
I won a dedicated Smashing Drive and it's great but the last route has you drive pretty much all of New York with NO checkpoints and maybe 2 seconds to spare. Each time you fail, you have to start the whole thing again. Sure you could quit right there and let the time run out but by this point, you've beat all of the other routes and it's the only way to "beat" the game for the high score. Bah!

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 05:19:48 pm »
Horizon Zero Dawn - you are constantly, and I mean constantly, pulling up the map.  And every single time you do, it plays the same song from the beginning.  And the song starts with a loud booming sound.

It got so bad at times I’d mute the TV. 

Link to the Past for Gameboy Advance was ruined by adding “hyuh hyuh HIYAH!” to the sword swings.  I should see if someone fixed that in a rom patch.  ---goshdarn--- I was so mad about that $30.

Control for Xbox One has map colors that are very, very difficult for me to see the differences.  I’ve been meaning to send them an email and beg for a colorblindness patch as it’s an otherwise very interesting game.

:cheers:
Yeah, that bug sucks. It only takes four hits to deplete your life meter.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 06:34:50 am »
The ---smurfing--- map in Jedi: Fallen Order and the lack of fast travel. I do genuinely love the game, but those were huge annoyances for me. I get the developers wanted to make it so the map looked like one of the translucent blue holograms from the films and when you're just in the first couple of areas, on a single floor level, it works fine. But once you start unlocking the entire map and you've got multiple, multiple, multiple layers of translucent blue superimposed over the top of each other, it's incredibly difficult to use it usefully. It really could have used an option to just highlight a specific area and some kind of wayfarer option to specifically highlight the shortcut routes you'd previously opened up to get back out of an area. The amount of times I was trying to head back to the ship, particularly on Zeffo, and I'd reach a bit I got to via a very specific route and I'd just be thinking, how the hell do I get out of here??? The developers said they didn't include a fast travel option because they wanted to encourage players to explore, but there was honestly no reason they couldn't have implemented it to occur after you'd gone through all the specific story beats of a given world, especially as you're navigating from planet to planet in a spaceship! Y'know, just give your colleagues a quick call to come pick you up from one of the big open areas. The parrying option in this just always felt a bit off to me as well. Over the course of 2 playthroughs the correct timing for how to do it consistently just never really clicked for me, not like the way counters were so intuitive in stuff like the Arkham games or Spider-Man. I ended up having to turn the difficulty down to story mode, both times, after I got killed one time too many by those ---smurfing--- annoying space goat things. Gaaaawd, I hated those things so much! Nothing kills the enjoyment of gleefully wiping out a platoon of stormtroopers single handedly by then getting taken out immediately afterwards by a twatting goat!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 06:39:53 am by MrThunderwing »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 10:53:54 am »
The dice games in Gunstar Heroes and Cuphead. I loved the games, but I hated those chutes and ladders-esque segments.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:45:37 pm by KenToad »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 11:03:37 am »
The ---smurfing--- map in Jedi: Fallen Order and the lack of fast travel. I do genuinely love the game, but those were huge annoyances for me.
Nothing kills the enjoyment of gleefully wiping out a platoon of stormtroopers single handedly by then getting taken out immediately afterwards by a twatting goat!

Two very good examples.  I also appreciate that they tried to "do something different" with this game but wish they hadn't.  It's a great game but they do many things to make you want to hate it.  I still haven't beaten it, and I bought the Xbox One S (or whatever the ---fudgesicle--- it was) solely to play this game.  There was some ridiculous jump that you had to make from ivy on a column onto another column.  I had to consult a youtube video and make something like a dozen attempts before I could complete it.  Every time you failed it was back to the checkpoint and battle your way back.  And pray one of those mud dragon pig things didn't spring out of the ground. 

But it was nice to see some representation for gingers.  All they had going for them before this was Little Orphan Annie and Judas Iscariot.

We did play the absolute ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of Overcooked 1 & 2, and I still play Costume Quest on it occasionally so I got my $200 out of it but damn.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 03:10:04 pm »
It's definitely worth sticking with Jedi: Fallen Order and seeing it through to the end, I'd have another shot at trying to get back into it if I were you. Once you've got all your force powers levelled up, it really is great fun just ploughing through all the Imperials and the wildlife and there are some fantastic set pieces latter in the game.

Thought of something else I hated in a game I otherwise love: The bastarding AI players in Sonic and All Star Racing Transformed on the Hard and Expert levels and the fact you HAD to do at least some of the World Tour challenges on those settings if you wanted to unlock the Hornet from Daytona/Afterburner F14/Dreamcast VMU Hydro Thunder lookie likey boat combo (which I soooo badly did). Just a constant never-ending bombardment of items being shot at you from the ---punks--- behind you and the CPU players in front shooting backwards at you, instead of the players in front of them.

Again, genuine love for that game, it's the best love letter to old skool Sega I've seen in any modern game (and I'm calling it modern, but it's got to be coming up to 10 years old now), but, unlocking those last couple of Stars to get the Hornet was pure hell.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:15:55 am by MrThunderwing »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 03:18:13 pm »
Can we also discuss Sonic Mania and the fact that it doesn't save between levels/acts in a zone, and if the boss kills you, you're starting back at act 1?  The ---smurfing--- zone 2 act 2 boss with his damn missiles about got my controller thrown through the TV.  And the levels aren't short, either.  I haven't timed them but it feels like a good 10 minutes each.  I need to throw in the towel and see if there's a cheat for extra lives or level select or something because I feel like I'm never going to beat it otherwise.

There's a level in Rondo of Blood on PC Engine CD that gave me fits, too.  Level 4, I think?  Lots of ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- traps and enemies and the checkpoints were very spread out.  I'd attempt it once a week or so and it took me over a year to beat.  I didn't find the rest of the game particularly difficult, though I finally did a hex edit patch for infinite lives just to put the game to rest.  Very good game, otherwise.  Far outclasses everything else on that system.

kane916

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2023, 01:06:27 am
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 03:18:50 am »
Conker's bad fur day is one of my favorite games ever and that stupid lava surfing section might be one of my most hated parts of a game ever

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 03:14:37 pm »
The dice games in Gunstar Heroes and Cuphead. I loved the games, but I hated those chutes and ladders-esque segments.

I somehow managed to completely miss your comment when I posted in this thread previously, but I 110% agree with this.

I've never played Gunstar Heroes extensively enough to get that far, but my god, the dice bit in Cuphead was pure torture.

I've heard other people say it's easy to get the dice roll you want once you've got the timing down, but I could never get what I wanted, it was pure luck of the draw every time. And, oh man, there was a definite slightly less stressful boss order, and another one that guaranteed you'd get to King Dice with 0 lives and die instantly (or if you were really unlucky, you'd end up doing all of the mini bosses). The one with the chimp with the symbols where you've got to memorise the cards whilst constantly moving to avoid being hit and the chimp gets faster faster  :hissy: oh gaaaawd.

I both loved and hated Cuphead at the same time. So puuurdy to look at (and the music was ace too), but, Jebus, the difficulty nearly broke me. It was such a relief when I finally completed it. I'm so in 2 minds about purchasing the DLC when it comes out this year. It'll undoubtedly be amazing, but I don't know if my nerves can take it 😬
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 02:45:21 am by MrThunderwing »

Ichor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2022, 12:36:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2022, 05:08:22 am »
The 3 day cycle in Majora's Mask is a bit of a love hate relationship. I mean, the whole game is predicated on the mechanic, but the futility of helping everyone out only for time to reset again and again can be pretty unsatisfying. I oddly wouldn't change it, as the whole game wouldn't work without it, but I certainly have an ambivalence towards it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2022, 12:32:27 pm »
The 3 day cycle in Majora's Mask is a bit of a love hate relationship. I mean, the whole game is predicated on the mechanic, but the futility of helping everyone out only for time to reset again and again can be pretty unsatisfying. I oddly wouldn't change it, as the whole game wouldn't work without it, but I certainly have an ambivalence towards it.

I also found the 3 day reset annoying, especially losing certain things and the whole banking annoyance. I rented the game when it released and found it excruciating. Years later, I solved the problem by playing it via Project 64 using an adaptoid for controls and bypassed the in game saving with save states. We had a 720p TV with VGA input, so the picture on my old Windows XP laptop was really good. A guide also helps alleviate frustration. It has to be the least accessible Zelda game, maybe tied with Zelda II.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2022, 01:04:27 pm »
I spent a lot of damn money bootlegging Majora's Mask back in the day.  I think you had to remove some security chip from Jet Force Gemini and then transplant it onto Wave Race or something similar. It was a HUGE pain in the ass.  But I did finally get it working.  And that game is unfun garbage.  I'm still mad about it.  Of course they later figured out a new firmware for the Z64 and you didn't need donor carts anymore.

I tried it again on 3DS and the timer still gives me too much anxiety to enjoy it.