Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame and Restroarch Mapping on Arcade  (Read 3182 times)

faulkkev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2022, 09:51:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Mame and Restroarch Mapping on Arcade
« on: December 06, 2021, 08:41:03 pm »
I am working on a MAME/RestroArch in an original arcade with a 4 person controller board.  Player 1 and 2 have 6 buttons and player 3-4 have 3.   With that said on the main forum i have received great help with IPAC card and many other odds and ends that are new to me.  I am close if not almost on top of getting the Mame and arcade pieces to work right or at least with a base mapping "i have not setup different configs per game".  The retroarch on the other hand i choose for consoles, i tend to like the app and the cores etc.  With that said mapping my arcade to that has me scratching my head.   I realize some games my not be a fit for the various consoles i have games for so far.  For example nintendo to N64 "no hand helds" and playstation up to ps2.  I have also genesis installed with some games too. 

I tried to play a ww2 game on ps2 and the controls just weren't jiving with the game.  Same thing happened with Duke Nukem N64.  Regular Nintendo seems to work but some of the remaining buttons for some reason can cause unexpected results like fast forward etc. 

With that said is there a link or guidance that could be offered that can say map this way in retroarch?  I didn't see a per console/platform option as that did cross my mind as possibility. 

Also if someone has the answer to this and has a known will work well or must have list that would help me as i suspect some games maybe many aren't ideal fit for arcade layout vs a controller and a tv. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:19:23 pm by faulkkev »

faulkkev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2022, 09:51:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Mame and Restroarch Mapping on Arcade
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 07:11:03 pm »
I hope it can be done at least for some games. 

DoghouseReilly

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:52:16 am
  • Now, more than ever.
Re: Mame and Restroarch Mapping on Arcade
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 01:11:09 pm »
I'm pretty sure a per-machine config option in Retroarch does not exist. If you're using a separate front end which supports this, you can do what I do, and create multiple copies of retroarch.cfg, each one configured for the individual machines or games, and then have a command to copy the needed one to over-write the existing one right before the selected game runs.

As for which console games are suitable for a cab, that's a question better suited for one of the other sub-forums. A search will also bring up some opinions on the subject.