Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I wrote a game! Might be fun on a cab?  (Read 8541 times)

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: I wrote a game! Might be fun on a cab?
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2022, 06:05:52 am »
so 2 tihngs, is it the responce to suposed to  be like that? i mean i want to make thin returns but the way the dot react it seems to me it hats a huge lag, like cant make thin wall, not sure if i explain myself, also when the dot enters the blu earea back in vertical form, it stopsbut itself , all normal there, but when enters the blue are in horizontal way, it keeps going and never stops, therefor leaves the blue are and enters the balck area and you get killed most times. Seems to me there is no real control on the controls. i cant help to compare the game with gals panic,so i was expecting the same phisics.

Hey thanks for trying my game.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but the main difference in gameplay with Gal Panic seems to be that in TrappyPixel you can go anywhere in the filled area, not just around the edges.  The player definitely should not keep going by itself in the filled area, only in the unfilled area when drawing the lines.  Maybe you found a bug?  Are you able to take a video so I can see?

Also the game wont work on 15khz, as soon as i fire up, it splits the image in 2, like is working on 31hzs, or forsing a video mode, i used the properties to make it run at 640x480, that did not work either. Same result. Im using amd hd7450 with emudrivers 2.0

Oh that's a shame.  I have it working perfectly on 15Khz on arch linux (in my groovyarcade install).  I basically just copied the gamefile over, allowed execute permissions and ran it and it worked perfectly.  I have a 15Khz Philips CM8833-2 monitor and am using a Radeon HD 6450 card.  Godot (the engine I used) does not change resolution (according to their documentation) so it will try to run the game in whatever resolution the monitor is already set to, and scale the game to match (so no scaling if the resolution is already the same).  You can see my attached photo of it running, and it looks great.

Did you have your monitor already at 15Khz (like where you launched the game from - either desktop or frontend)? Or maybe you had it at 640 horizontal pixels or something instead of 320 (although that shouldn't theoretically double the image)?  Maybe it's a windows/crtemudriver issue incompatibility?  I don't know enough about that because I always use groovyarcade on linux for 15Khz/CRT on my cabs.

Anyone else able to try this?

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2022, 02:44:37 pm »
Ok on the first problem, it seems to me that the controls are not being detected fast, like if i want to do very small line or thin lines, i cant ,because if i go down and then left, and then up again, by the time the up movement gets detected, i allready far away, so i cant do like a quick colum.

On the 15khz , yes, is a dedicated setup, i boot like most of us using windows, at 640x480 interlaced i guess they call it? all games work just nice, arcade and emulators, and i did just like you, as soon as i fire up the game, boom, 31 khz , and after i exit the game, i still stucked at 31khz, i need to reboot the pc to get back to 15khz. Ill see if i can post a video, is just my front camera at my cellphone is broken.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2022, 02:58:18 pm »
Ok on the first problem, it seems to me that the controls are not being detected fast, like if i want to do very small line or thin lines, i cant ,because if i go down and then left, and then up again, by the time the up movement gets detected, i allready far away, so i cant do like a quick colum.

Thanks for explaining further.  I can personally manage to do columns about 3 grid cells wide (a grid cell being the size of the player's dot), and occasionally 2 cells wide if my fingers are like lightning! ;)  The game runs at just under 50fps and checks input every frame.  The player moves 1 grid cell per frame, so you gotta be really quick if you want a really thin column.  But to me personally, it's not necessary as a strategy to make such thin columns... maybe that's only me though?

On the 15khz , yes, is a dedicated setup, i boot like most of us using windows, at 640x480 interlaced i guess they call it? all games work just nice, arcade and emulators, and i did just like you, as soon as i fire up the game, boom, 31 khz , and after i exit the game, i still stucked at 31khz, i need to reboot the pc to get back to 15khz. Ill see if i can post a video, is just my front camera at my cellphone is broken.

Hmm ok, maybe it is the interlaced that it doesn't like.  The Godot docs say it doesn't change resolution at all, but maybe they never checked all eventualities.  Can you try first setting your desktop to 15Khz non-interlaced then running the game?  (if your setup allows you to do that).

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2022, 11:59:50 pm »
so 2 tihngs, is it the responce to suposed to  be like that? i mean i want to make thin returns but the way the dot react it seems to me it hats a huge lag, like cant make thin wall, not sure if i explain myself, also when the dot enters the blu earea back in vertical form, it stopsbut itself , all normal there, but when enters the blue are in horizontal way, it keeps going and never stops, therefor leaves the blue are and enters the balck area and you get killed most times. Seems to me there is no real control on the controls. i cant help to compare the game with gals panic,so i was expecting the same phisics.

Hey thanks for trying my game.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but the main difference in gameplay with Gal Panic seems to be that in TrappyPixel you can go anywhere in the filled area, not just around the edges.  The player definitely should not keep going by itself in the filled area, only in the unfilled area when drawing the lines.  Maybe you found a bug?  Are you able to take a video so I can see?

Also the game wont work on 15khz, as soon as i fire up, it splits the image in 2, like is working on 31hzs, or forsing a video mode, i used the properties to make it run at 640x480, that did not work either. Same result. Im using amd hd7450 with emudrivers 2.0

Oh that's a shame.  I have it working perfectly on 15Khz on arch linux (in my groovyarcade install).  I basically just copied the gamefile over, allowed execute permissions and ran it and it worked perfectly.  I have a 15Khz Philips CM8833-2 monitor and am using a Radeon HD 6450 card.  Godot (the engine I used) does not change resolution (according to their documentation) so it will try to run the game in whatever resolution the monitor is already set to, and scale the game to match (so no scaling if the resolution is already the same).  You can see my attached photo of it running, and it looks great.

Did you have your monitor already at 15Khz (like where you launched the game from - either desktop or frontend)? Or maybe you had it at 640 horizontal pixels or something instead of 320 (although that shouldn't theoretically double the image)?  Maybe it's a windows/crtemudriver issue incompatibility?  I don't know enough about that because I always use groovyarcade on linux for 15Khz/CRT on my cabs.

Anyone else able to try this?
is this an rgb moded tv or an old pc monitor?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2022, 05:49:28 am »
It's a standard res Philips CM8833-2.  I use it for all my arcade pcb testing with a supergun, and for things like PS1, Amiga, C64, etc.  It's not been modded at all.