Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I wrote a game! Might be fun on a cab?  (Read 8542 times)

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
I wrote a game! Might be fun on a cab?
« on: December 06, 2021, 08:18:18 am »
Hey all,

Always wanted to write a game... now I'm finally doing it!

Its a Qix type arcade game so thought I'd post it here as it might be fun for someone on their mame cab?

It runs on Windows, Linux and Mac, and I'll be doing versions for IOS and Android once I've added the swipe controls.

Here are the beta download links if you want to try it.  Feedback appreciated - any features to make it more fun let me know :)

Windows:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cagdpkRMWTagphoYRyF1sDH6kVTLxLWh/view?usp=sharing

Linux:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1musbYeEOILO_nBnQQoj8Z1Edj9sXfe9n/view?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 11:59:45 am by Jimbo »

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
Re: I wrote a game! Might be fun on a cab?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 04:51:02 pm »
NIce, can you make it function with credits,a s in the arcades?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:31:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 04:57:50 pm »
I think we need a dedicated "Trappy Pixel" cab, complete with custom character artwork
Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 12:29:19 am »

If all you can do around here is try to monetize other forum members' work then maybe you should find another venue to pillage.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Online Online
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 01:40:03 am »

If all you can do around here is try to monetize other forum members' work then maybe you should find another venue to pillage.

What they do in Thailand arcades is give you a time limit for a certain amount. Means you can die as often as you want. Unfortunately it takes skill out of the equation.

Anyways, nobody will make much money by trapping quarters these days

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 02:30:54 am »
That sounds like a useful feature for parents who limit their kids' videogame time by having them do chores to earn tokens.   ;D

Scott

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 05:13:06 pm »

No bobby13, no one gives a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- anymore for arcade games, besides us old farts, so no, is not about monetising other peoples works.  I asure you no one is making a dime out of mame or newest games anymore, at least not on my country. Now the people that are focused on making money of of games, are using lotery pcbs wich are waide abailable on the internet, are way cheaper than setting up  mame or xbox machines, so no, this aint about making money. Its about habing a game that takes coins on a cabinet full of games that takes coins, and uses a button for the coins....some kind of control. Cheers.  :cheers:

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 05:22:26 pm »

What they do in Thailand arcades is give you a time limit for a certain amount. Means you can die as often as you want. Unfortunately it takes skill out of the equation.

Anyways, nobody will make much money by trapping quarters these days
Yeap, theres a autohotkey timer setup ofr coins. Not very usefull this days, i keep  it just for ...i dont even know LOL...
I dont think anyone makes money out of emulation anymore, i really dont see any kids this days trying to play this games, my own kids play them games for 10 minutes, get bored and go back to minecrap or whatever online mobile games is on.
Lottery games like igrosoft games, were very popular  2 years ago, but they eventually got bored of those to. Now the way they make money are some chiniese boards with multi millonaire games on it. Im pretty sure those are gonna pass in a couple of years to.  I remember trying to convice developers to update the igrosoft code in order to make the games run properly, but no one wanted to do that because of reasons, it dont matter, i do have a special version of mame that works with coin hoppers, and it works just fine, i just wanted it to update to the latest version of mame, witch it didnt happen. O well, i guess the old "dont try to make money out of this" drama would never die.

Zebidee

• Online Online
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 07:09:59 pm »
Well whatevers, I think Jimbo's game looks pretty cool, fun

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 08:36:37 pm »
Well whatevers, I think Jimbo's game looks pretty cool, fun
I agree.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 10:29:57 pm »
This game reminded me of the Space Commander game someone wrote and it had credits functioning, its a nice game, it even works on 15khz. Also Pacapong, i added the coins function myself. So hopefully you can add such functio to yours. Nice game by the way Jimbo, thanks.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 06:41:14 am »
Hey guys,

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it :)

I have more artwork coming for the logo, and in-game font, and some nice cover/promo artwork, so looking forward to those.  And I want to revamp the sounds as they are just placeholders for now (although some of them I like).  I will also do a chip-tune theme for the title screen :)

If you want to try the game, here you go.  It's written in Godot, and for windows and linux it's just a single exe file: -

Windows:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1owLi8fpafxgLYpIvTCu21PK9TwyDnUgM/view?usp=sharing

Linux:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12aYpbqzSSviaN1TXv-TcENSeMn6kR3EO/view?usp=sharing

MacOSX:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tsSCOs_qV7Y-l5LcCFTBehsoNs6_JaBM/view?usp=sharing

Controls are arrow keys and space / enter to start/reverse enemy balls.  ESC pauses or exits the game.  (or you can use a gamepad with d-pad and buttons)

Its resolution is 320x256, I have no idea if it is cab friendly, or even 15Khz friendly, but if someone wants to try, I'd be interested to know if it works.

I am happy to make changes to make it cab friendly if needed, including adding a credit button.

Enjoy!

Jimbo

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 01:47:31 pm »
This is the game i was talking about, i just created a small autohokey script that enables the use of coins to start a game, usefull for cab users, the game can also start in normal mode if you dont use the ahk script.
https://mega.nz/file/vNMDzSaC#_mqyydBBGGI1n_qEp67ywTrhg6mXOWQXcS7qTDYZfQo  Credits to its author mentioned on the game.

And space commander, great game for a cab, this one has coin features built in, the only thing a regret is , that is single life game contrary to 3 as most arcade games.
https://mega.nz/file/SEUhzSga#0MyxP-EuCVdtPTneGC7AkvK5eUYjxWtWYcxdGXlBqTY

They both freeware, so im not breaking any rules, and credits are for theyr owners, im not taking any credits, just sharing them as i really like this type of newer games that can be added into arcade cabinets.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 09:56:05 pm »

No bobby13, no one gives a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- anymore for arcade games, besides us old farts, so no, is not about monetising other peoples works.  I asure you no one is making a dime out of mame or newest games anymore, at least not on my country. Now the people that are focused on making money of of games, are using lotery pcbs wich are waide abailable on the internet, are way cheaper than setting up  mame or xbox machines, so no, this aint about making money. Its about habing a game that takes coins on a cabinet full of games that takes coins, and uses a button for the coins....some kind of control. Cheers.  :cheers:

i'm going to put a mini arcade in my cube when we return back to work and you can bet it will require quarters for someone to play.
hey, coffee in the cafeteria isn't free.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 11:32:00 pm »

i'm going to put a mini arcade in my cube when we return back to work and you can bet it will require quarters for someone to play.
jerks like you make bobby13 think the way they think and devs refuseto add good features.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2021, 02:41:20 am »
 :laugh2:
Inappropriate on all counts.

This forum and others like it are proof positive that people certainly DO care about arcade games- still.
There are even people who don't want to make machines for somebody else's pay to play arcade!

And not just old farts.

People line up to play the machine I gave my friend to put in his surf shop.
And nearly all of them are under 25.

The purpose of mame (from those who have built and maintained/updated it) has obviously never been to make money.
That hasn't stopped many people from trying to profit from other people's efforts all over this hobby however.

To my knowledge the mame devs build what preserves the history of the machines and also what entertains them, even as they know well that what they give away may go to those who would profit from it.

I wouldn't arrogate to myself that any dev does anything in regard to what I do or care about.
We all benefit from their gracious whimsy, both directly if you have built a mame machine and laterally also because I doubt that there would have been a renaissance of these games to spawn A1Up and all the others if not for their efforts.

It would be pretty obnoxious to complain.

Calling nitrogen_widget a jerk is childish and ignorant.

And I think as I do based entirely on what any particular individual says/does.
Talk is cheap though, so it's mostly does.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Online Online
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 03:41:10 am »

jerks like you make bobby13 think the way they think and devs refuseto add good features.

Going a bit far there mate, calling people jerks for no good reason.

I reckon you haven’t really experienced this hobby until you put in a coin mech and place your cab in a public space.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2021, 10:35:03 am »
Getting back on topic... did anyone try my game yet?   :P

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 10:37:24 am »
I played it a bit.

I will play it more this weekend and I will tell you what I think.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 07:19:44 pm »

i'm setting it to .50/play just for you now.
keep it up and i'll bump up the points needed for an extra guy.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2021, 07:33:17 pm »
Getting back on topic... did anyone try my game yet?   :P

I did.
The linux version.
i would of thought the dots couldn't pass through the green like they were trapped.
also, if once the dot hits my trail, instead of having to wait for the fuse to blow me up i feel like i should have a chance to run to the sides of the screen to save myself or the fuse needs to go faster.

I do like the sound affects though.
Bold 80's arcade sound.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2021, 05:17:15 am »
I played it a bit.

Thanks Mike.  If you can find any issues let me know - or if it needs extra functionality to make it cab friendly (or of course any other ideas!)

I did.
The linux version.
i would of thought the dots couldn't pass through the green like they were trapped.
also, if once the dot hits my trail, instead of having to wait for the fuse to blow me up i feel like i should have a chance to run to the sides of the screen to save myself or the fuse needs to go faster.

Bold 80's arcade sound.

Thanks :)  The dots going through the filled area is by design - those little buggers are the ones you have to watch out for so you are never safe even for a minute!  >:D
That's a pretty good idea of giving you a chance to run to the sides while the fuse is going... I'll have a play and see if it works, thanks!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2021, 08:58:00 am »
I played it a bit.

Thanks Mike.  If you can find any issues let me know - or if it needs extra functionality to make it cab friendly (or of course any other ideas!)

I did.
The linux version.

Bold 80's arcade sound.

Thanks :)  The dots going through the filled area is by design - those little buggers are the ones you have to watch out for so you are never safe even for a minute!  >:D
That's a pretty good idea of giving you a chance to run to the sides while the fuse is going... I'll have a play and see if it works, thanks!

did you program the dots to look like they move randomly but still manage to find me if i don't move?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2021, 10:40:28 am »
did you program the dots to look like they move randomly but still manage to find me if i don't move?

The enemy dots AI is very basic.  They just rebound when they hit an edge, and occasionally decide for themselves which way to go when there's a choice of two or more directions.  They don't aim for the player in any way.  It might seem like they do, because the nature of the non-perfectly-square filled areas means that they eventually do cover almost all of the level.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2021, 12:49:41 pm »
Looking forward to trying this!
Won't have time until holiday mayhem has blown over though it appears.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2021, 01:17:51 pm »
Ive only had a few games but I like it. I may have missed reading it somewhere,but are you limited how many times you can hit the space bar to reverse the direction of the enemy dots ?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2021, 01:44:37 pm »
Ive only had a few games but I like it. I may have missed reading it somewhere,but are you limited how many times you can hit the space bar to reverse the direction of the enemy dots ?

Thanks!  Yeah limited number per level. You can see how many you have left in the bottom right :)

Zebidee

• Online Online
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2021, 02:34:24 pm »
I really want to play your game now (have watched your vids) but I can't, have an eye infection. Shouldn't even be looking at this forum.

Clearly I've been reading too much ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- lately :D

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2021, 02:53:25 pm »
I really want to play your game now (have watched your vids) but I can't, have an eye infection. Shouldn't even be looking at this forum.

Clearly I've been reading too much ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- lately :D

Ouch!  Get well soon mate!

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2021, 07:02:24 am »
So whats the story with the percentage filled?

I seem to hit bang on 75% most times.  :banghead: Is there a tactic to achieve higher bonus scores,or just taking the risk?

And you could be excused for thinking theres nothing random about the baddies AI sometimes  :hissy:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2021, 07:06:08 am »
So whats the story with the percentage filled?

I seem to hit bang on 75% most times.  :banghead: Is there a tactic to achieve higher bonus scores,or just taking the risk?

And you could be excused for thinking theres nothing random about the baddies AI sometimes  :hissy:

Hey thanks for giving it a go.

The trick is to try to get near to 75% but not reach it, and have one more enemy dot roaming around that you can trap in a small space, thus passing 75% on that final fill, and filling up the remainder of the screen in one go.  It's possible to get up to 99% occasionally if you do this really well (hard and risky).  Basically an area is filled if there are no enemy dots in it.  Watch the video in the first post and you can see some of the strategies of trapping the enemy dots into small spaces to get higher points on the final fill.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2021, 11:56:42 pm »
So this is written in Gadot?

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

>:D

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2021, 12:09:19 am »
Hotter than a burlap sack full of bobcats, that one.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2021, 05:14:25 am »
LOL yes, Gadot, what a Gal  :drool

I've got a new version coming with a new logo, and some other small modification (some suggested by you guys).

Also considering adding 2 player vs and 2 player co-op modes.

Has anyone tried it on a low res 15Khz monitor?  I don't have access to one atm but it would be good to know if it works by default on those (resolution is 320x256 running at ~50Hz)

:cheers:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2021, 12:01:44 pm »
So I made a new version: -   :D

Windows:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cagdpkRMWTagphoYRyF1sDH6kVTLxLWh/view?usp=sharing

Linux:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1musbYeEOILO_nBnQQoj8Z1Edj9sXfe9n/view?usp=sharing

The easy/normal/hard modes are all slightly easier now, but to compensate I've added an "insane" mode, which I think is quite fun.

Edit:  I just tried it on my groovyarcade setup... and it seems to work fine on my 15Khz monitor so *should* fingers crossed be cab friendly :)

Feedback welcome!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 01:03:34 pm by Jimbo »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2021, 02:22:04 pm »
Thanks for keeping at it with this!
I'll give it a shot on a Kortek multisync if I ever get home.

Been stuck in SFO for 17 hrs now.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2021, 01:37:02 pm »
Thanks for keeping at it with this!
I'll give it a shot on a Kortek multisync if I ever get home.

Been stuck in SFO for 17 hrs now.

Wow good luck, that doesn't sound like fun at all!

So I think Godot (the engine I used for the game) doesn't actually change resolution, so the game will run in whatever resolution your monitor is already running at (e.g. your multisync).  The actual game has an internal resolution of 320x256 though, so if you're not running in native low res, it will stretch the game to your native res.  It looks awesome on 320x256 15Khz CRT though, so if you have the choice, I'd go for that.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2021, 03:08:30 pm »
It will be interesting to see what happens then.
I still have a lot to learn about resolutions and getting what you want output to a screen so adding this to one of the MAME cabs will be a good exercise for me.

There appears to be no bottom to the rabbithole that is this hobby!
 :lol

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2021, 01:40:32 pm »
so 2 tihngs, is it the responce to suposed to  be like that? i mean i want to make thin returns but the way the dot react it seems to me it hats a huge lag, like cant make thin wall, not sure if i explain myself, also when the dot enters the blu earea back in vertical form, it stopsbut itself , all normal there, but when enters the blue are in horizontal way, it keeps going and never stops, therefor leaves the blue are and enters the balck area and you get killed most times. Seems to me there is no real control on the controls. i cant help to compare the game with gals panic,so i was expecting the same phisics.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 01:59:14 pm by abispac »

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2021, 02:27:21 pm »
Also the game wont work on 15khz, as soon as i fire up, it splits the image in 2, like is working on 31hzs, or forsing a video mode, i used the properties to make it run at 640x480, that did not work either. Same result. Im using amd hd7450 with emudrivers 2.0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:03:09 pm by abispac »