Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WTB Williams 49 way joystick  (Read 4837 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
WTB Williams 49 way joystick
« on: December 08, 2021, 06:09:37 pm »
Anybody have one they don't need and would be willing to part with?
I was told the Arch Rivals one is surely most prevalent of the 49 way type but maybe any Williams 49 will work.

Trying to build a Sinistar cabinet and have all the main bits but the stick at this point.

Appreciate any help!

Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: WTB Williams 49 way joystick
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 07:46:03 pm »
Divemaster carries them.
http://www.arcadeemulator.net/cgi-bin/shop/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F3302900&rnd=6907118&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=49-Way+Joystick&cat=Joysticks&catstr=HOME:Joysticks

Check out u_rebelscum's page here for technical info about 49-way sticks.

If you need a 49-way encoder, GGG carries this one and this one.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 01:38:27 am »
Divemaster carries them.
http://www.arcadeemulator.net/cgi-bin/shop/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F3302900&rnd=6907118&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=49-Way+Joystick&cat=Joysticks&catstr=HOME:Joysticks

Check out u_rebelscum's page here for technical info about 49-way sticks.

If you need a 49-way encoder, GGG carries this one and this one.

Scott

Thank you as always for the reply Scott!
I had forgotten about that brilliant stick breakdown from u_rebelscum.

I'm using a Jrok board for this cabinet and I believe only a Williams 49 will work.

If only I could use a Happ 49 in this instance (since I have two of those  :) )
Or if I was smart enough to be able to build a board to invert all the outputs from my Happ (apparently they are the antithesis of each other) and then build a proper harness to plug into the Jrok then maybe I could use it?!

I know the rubber centering scenario is quite different between the two but after 35 years of not playing Sinistar I could never tell the difference myself I'm sure.

I have wanted to try using the Happ version as a regular stick in a MAME cabinet though so maybe I will finally get to that after all of this.
 :lol
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 04:56:37 am »
I'm using a Jrok board for this cabinet and I believe only a Williams 49 will work.
I saw that in this KLOV thread, but I also read here that "When enabled the sysfpga expects a 49-way Williams or Midway/Happ joystick to be connected to the pin header on the board."   :dunno

If only I could use a Happ 49 in this instance (since I have two of those  :) )
Or if I was smart enough to be able to build a board to invert all the outputs from my Happ (apparently they are the antithesis of each other) and then build a proper harness to plug into the Jrok then maybe I could use it?!
Check out reply #10 in this KLOV thread.
Quote from: andrewb
- Williams games that use one, use a Williams 49-way.

- Midway games that use one, use a Midway 49-way.

They are not interchangeable.
Quote from: HudsonArcade
Of course they're interchangeable -- I made adapter boards to do it.
Couldn't find a link to the adapter boards he's referring to, but it might be worth contacting him.

This page confirms that the Midway/Happ and Williams pinouts are the same, but the signal logic is inverted.
http://www.seanriddle.com/49way.html

It's probably just a matter of running the eight data lines through a simple inverter circuit like this one.   ;D
- As explained here, you probably want to use a 74LS04 or 74HCT04 to keep the logic at TTL levels instead of the CMOS levels you'd get from a 74HC04.
- Naturally, you'll want Dual Inline Package (DIP) instead of surface mount (SMD) ICs for breadboard/solderable-breadboard/perfboard use.

It's easy to breadboard the circuit.
- You'll need two of those ICs since there are only 6 inverters per IC.
- Get 5v and ground for both the breadboard and stick from the JROK board.
- Eight jumpers from the joystick harness to the breadboard on the input side of the inverting op-amps.
- Eight jumpers from the output side of the inverting op-amps to the JROK 49-way header.

There's a switch test menu on the JROK that should let you know if the inverter circuit works right.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 07:07:13 pm »
Brilliant! (of course)  :cheers:

I suppose I SHOULD be trying to make my own (this is byoac after all, yeah?)

I just need to figure out everything that you posted here and order some ICs and harness connectors!!

:lol

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 10:03:07 pm »
I just need to figure out everything that you posted here and order some ICs and harness connectors!!
For the JROK 49-way connector, instead of the "molex 90123-0108 or FCI 65039-029LF" housing listed in the manual you should be able to use a Dupont 1x8 connector housing, using either pre-fab jumpers or crimping your own wires/pins.
- Do you have an assortment of Dupont housings like these and a Dupont crimper like this one?
(there are also combo kits with ratcheting crimpers, housings, male pins, and female pins)

Even if you aren't good at crimping pins, you can get pre-fab F-F, M-F, and M-M Dupont jumpers with 1x1 housings, pull off the 1x1 housing, and move the wire and pin to a 1x8 housing

You could fit your circuit on one of the small 170 point breadboards, but it would be a bit tight (minimum of 15 out of 17 rows used) and the ICs would block at least one of the screw mount holes on the solderable version.

You'll have a lot more room with 400 point boards like this combo.

If you already have a regular breadboard, there's this solderable version . . .

. . . or this 300 point version.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 05:38:24 am »
Thanks as always Scott.
Immensely helpful yet again.

Especially this time for all those links.
Good strippers and crimpers I have, but that kind of Dupont assortment I have been needing for a while now!

This will be fun.

I don't even think I will destroy anything in the process.

:)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 07:27:58 am »
Glad to assist.   :cheers:

Good strippers and crimpers I have, but that kind of Dupont assortment I have been needing for a while now!
To be clear, you don't have the Dupont pins and housings but you do have the right kind of ratchet crimper jaws for Dupont pins? (i.e. not QDs)
- If the jaws aren't stepped like #3 in this image they are definitely not correct.

Even with the right tool it can be hard to get a good, clean crimp that fits into the housing.
- Unlike horseshoes, hand grenades, and atomic bombs, "close" isn't good enough for Dupont crimps.   :lol

Scott

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:54:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 07:49:46 am »
Hey look at this.

Building something instead of buying it.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 09:17:03 pm »
Hey look at this.

Building something instead of buying it.

I like buildin' stuff!

Problem sometimes when I have no idea what in the hell I'm doing though.

Good thing we all have a Scott here.  :cheers:

Now if I can get time to even scratch ---my bottom--- when it's itchy maybe I can build one of these.