Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is $1,200 a good price for Ice Cold Beer internal parts?  (Read 4236 times)

dankykang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2022, 12:16:41 am
  • vidya games
Is $1,200 a good price for Ice Cold Beer internal parts?
« on: November 28, 2021, 06:17:35 pm »
Found a guy selling all the internal parts for ICB. He supplied a video of it working.
He is asking $1,200. Thoughts?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Is $1,200 a good price for Ice Cold Beer internal parts?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 08:13:30 pm »
Sounds expensive at first blush, but if it includes those funky joysticks, everything works, and you love the game then have at it.

Edit...

I had a look and discovered my comment completely irrelevant since I was thinking of something completely different!

Have never seen one of those actually.

Maybe someone here has?!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:51:29 pm by bobbyb13 »
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 01:03:13 pm »
Found a guy selling all the internal parts for ICB. He supplied a video of it working.
He is asking $1,200. Thoughts?

Oof.  I think you would really need to love that game to spend that much on some parts.

I would go full digital, which could probably be done for well under that amount start to finish.  Unlike pinball, the physics are fairly uncomplicated, so the result will be pretty convincing.  With digital, there is also room for variations or other games.  Best of all Felsir did the hard work (very well, I might add) for you and gave it away for free :) 

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:06:32 pm

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 08:01:16 pm »
It IS cool, isn't it?!

Thanks for sharing that RandyT.

My vote is on your suggestion.

Building a scratch cabinet even utilizing perfect guts is sure to be a huge and possibly really frustrating project.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 08:03:50 pm »
Don’t listen to these clowns.  Take out a cash advance and do it.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 04:15:48 am »
At one point, I bought an ICB from a fellow collector.   I think I paid $600 total.

The back-glass was partially flaked
 The Ball-Bar had broken mounts (but still worked)
 The End of Stroke switches needed a lot of adjustments
 The rubber drive-train was shot, and needed replacement

In addition, the entire unit needed to be fully taken apart, and cleaned, which was not as easy as
it seemed... because the rear assembly is fully enclosed.   Thing is... even a small amount of dust
can cause the small ball to end up getting sticky / stuck... so If its not decently clean... the game wont
play that well.

I bought rubber windshield wiper fluid hose, per others recommendations.. to replace the rotted
rotted drive belts.  Worked really well.

- I took apart the entire unit and cleaned + polished everything
 - Touched up the missing paint areas on the backglass
 - Found two brass tubes that fit matched the original ball-bar's specs... Then drilled them for the mounts.
 - I injected hot glue into the ends of each of the tubes, to keep them from failing in the future

- I took out the metal ball-stop-gate, and used a buffer to give it a Mirror Finish
 - Installed coin mechs (missing), and repaired the switches, coin-return lights, etc.
 - Replaced all blown bulbs
 - Spend quite some time cleaning every individual hole of the playfield
 - Cleaned and Polished the plastics
 - I believe I probably replaced the 2 way joysticks.  I cant recall at this point.  At minimum, they were
cleaned, polished, and adjusted well.
 - Finally, I had to adjust all of the limit switches, and did a lot of tests to make sure everything was all good.

A good portion of this work was done in like an 18hr rush, to try to sell the machine at a local Arcade show.

I actually enjoyed the game... but the thing is... for that amount of money... I felt Id rather try to put it
towards another Pinball machine that I was after, instead.

I believe I sold it for somewhere between 800 to $1000.  My memory is shot.
Which... for how much restoration effort I put into it... was pretty decent.

At the time... you might have found a decent one for like 400 to 600$... but that would have been a
machine that had Zero restoration on it.  Rotted Slipping Belts.  A partially broken ball-bar.  And would
have needed like 6 hrs of disassembly + cleaning.

The moment I sold it... I was already sort of missing it.  It wasnt the most fun gave Ive ever owned..
but it was one of these games of skill that you would just pop on, and play out of the blue.. to see how
far you could get.

When you first play it.. its virtually impossible.  Once you figure out how to control it properly... it
becomes fairly easy to get up to like hole 7... without dropping a single ball.  Eventually you get to the
point where you can get to the top,  and you loop back from the bottom, up again.  I think 3 complete
loops.. was the max that I had ever achieved.

I believe the money went towards the purchase of a Williams "Fire" pinball machine.. that I got for
just under 2k, in "OK" condition.

IMO... its was an easy $450 machine... but even I had felt I paid a bit too much, as $600 un-restored.
It really depends on your budget, and your other potential "wants".

The biggest hurdle to making on of these from scratch... is getting the correct metal tubing for the
Ball-Bar.   If the tubing is too thick.. the small diameter ball will easily get stuck when transitioning
from one bar to the next.

Also, the tubes have to fit perfectly within each other... without too much clearance,
as well as not being too tight.  I believe I had posted the information on the Tubing on their project
page.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 01:17:11 pm »
If I really wanted to go mechanical on one of these, I would re-design the entire guts to use worm gears and motors with encoders, which would eliminate a lot of the common failure components.

dankykang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2022, 12:16:41 am
  • vidya games
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 11:29:02 pm »
Thank you all for the replies! A video game version of ICB is not really interesting to me. Sort of like virtual pinball, I don't get it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 09:01:33 am »
A man of taste.  Offer the guy $500 cash in hand and go buy the parts.

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 06:12:12 am »

If you are including the current selling price of existing machines in your calculations, be aware that a new licensed replica Ice Cold Beer machine is due to go on sale very soon from ParadiseArcadeShop. This may affect prices for originals.
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 10:35:13 pm »

If you are including the current selling price of existing machines in your calculations, be aware that a new licensed replica Ice Cold Beer machine is due to go on sale very soon from ParadiseArcadeShop. This may affect prices for originals.

No it won't. ICB has already been remade in the past. They don't build 'em like they used to.
%Bartop