Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BIG control panel project questions!  (Read 11985 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: BIG control panel project questions!
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2021, 03:48:25 pm »
:lol  If you had a 3d printer . . .
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:430794

Scott

FormulaFox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 02:14:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2021, 01:56:33 pm »
Okay, got another question... This is for a different control panel I'm working on as a gift for a friend(it will be a self-contained Raspberry Pi plug and play unit), but since I've got a thread open already I might as well just post this here.

Does anyone know where I can get a kit like this: https://www.amazon.com/SJ-JX-Controller-Microswitch-Raspberry/dp/B08Q7L5M2K/?th=1 but with non-LED buttons and sticks? I'm not keen on the LED Stuff(my friend won't care one way or the other), and non-LED MIGHT be cheaper. I don't even really need the buttons or standard joystick - I know where I can those as well as non-LED encoders that will work(I linked one in my original post, after all!), I really just need to find that analog joystick.

(and yes, this project is one of the reasons I can't do my own project until after Christmas :P )

FormulaFox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2021, 10:40:14 pm »
:lol  If you had a 3d printer . . .
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:430794

Scott

So... I come back to see if anyone has responded to my previous inquiry(which I had figured was unlikely, but due diligence and all that) and see that I had somehow completely missed this post. I can honestly say I'm not a fan of the shape of the top(I want it vaguely flightstick-shaped), but looking it over I can certainly mod that part to suit my preferences after printing. And so, while I don't have a 3D printer, a friend of mine is plotting to buy himself one for Christmas, and he'll certainly want some test projects for it! So I'll definitely give that a go.

As for the alternate control deck plan, my brother asked me why I don't just get a pair of cheap USB flightsticks for the job, especially if I'm gonna go lazy on the steering wheel. The answer is obvious, "Because ARCADE!!!!" but with the price ever increasing on the arcade-style options I can't help but be attracted in that direction. There are enough buttons on even CHEAP USB flightsticks to cover admin functions...

(and yes, a pair of USB flightsticks can run Cyber Sled effectively - I've seen more than a few examples of such)

FormulaFox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2022, 03:31:47 pm »
This project is dead for the best possible reason: Huge improvement in financial situation leading to change of future plans. When things settle down I will be looking into a whole new plan involving the creation of two additional arcade cabinets. I thank everyone for the input they gave, as what I've learned here will be informing those plans as well.