Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch ML-1  (Read 6613 times)

MasterOfNone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2022, 12:19:24 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch ML-1
« on: November 25, 2021, 01:32:19 pm »
Happy turkeytime all!
So, I'm on my 3rd ML-1, and with or without NOS boards, maxed-out ram, and ssd, they all have the same crappy annoying pauses during game play and other quirks that make it seem like a step-down from ion. How many of these could they have sold new like this?  The fancy cabinet, big screen, h2h multi-touch and updated menu/attract aesthetics are nice, but nowhere near enough to cancel out those glitches for me. What do you guys think?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:29:58 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Megatouch ML-1
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 01:51:52 pm »
good idea...bad implementation. all a matter of money.

for probably 50 or 60 bucks more cost on their end they could have had a decent motherboard/cpu combo with an SSD (even if it was a small 64gb SSD.) but no.

windows embedded so they can crypto lock the drives and prevent operators from swapping/cloning drives amongst machines... they should have stuck with linux OS instead of the windows embedded since they know that's what works. but no, screwing operators is more beneficial to them.

all basically in order to try and lock operators into ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- hardware that fails and locked out the ability to replace the drive except buying a new one from them.

personally i'm glad it was a failure.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:01:02 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 11:00:35 pm »
Yeah, Mobo is comparable to running Force 2011 running on the same old 2002 ECS mobo with 128mb of ram.
ML-1 runs great on a 3rd Gen I7 with 8gb of ram though. >:D

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 04:24:27 am »
Thanks guys. Maybe the same kind of thing that makes a formerly great company like Boeing start making planes programmed to nose down and crash. At least Megatouch hasn't caused any fatalities..., as far as I know! I'm sorry I bought these ML-1's, because the pauses are too annoying when I could just play a smooth-sailing linux, but I also feel bad selling an annoying game to anyone else. Guess I'll have to try a different mobo if I can ever get caught up on projects and find the time. Happy holidays!

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 06:19:43 am »
Hey Mahkey, Any specific I7 3rd generation you'd suggest? And, would the onboard video be good, or will it still require a video card/daughter board? Thanks! :)

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 12:47:51 am »
dunno, it came in my 22 inch multitouch dell aio.  :dunno
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 01:04:18 am by mahkeymike »

pinballvideojuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2024, 10:15:25 am
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 11:53:07 am »

Are you saying that you're running this on a Dell PC?

Also, I'm currently advertising an ML-1 for sale locally, and this may be a mistake, but I'm offering tech support to the buyer. In your opinion, should I buy a spare, used hard drive (eBay?) to have on hand, before they are unavailable anymore?
Thanks!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:29:58 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 04:05:16 pm »
i mean it's windows...if dump in your own drivers for stuff you can run it on anything.

windows embedded is basically windows...but with driver support for exactly what you need and nothing more... keeping the install size low and load time little better than normal windows.

Also, I'm currently advertising an ML-1 for sale locally, and this may be a mistake, but I'm offering tech support to the buyer. In your opinion, should I buy a spare, used hard drive (eBay?) to have on hand, before they are unavailable anymore?
Thanks!

even a clone of the drive you have won't work cause the encryption is tied to the hardware (motherboard, hard drive, serial numbers, ETC.) so unless you change your cloned drives serial number to match the original... or somehow un-encrypt the drive, clone it and then re-encrypt it with the new hardware in place... another hard drive wont work.

you were SUPPOSED to buy a drive from megatouch by providing your machine serial number so they could make you a drive for your machine... locking you into them being the sole provider for parts.

it is apparently possible to make copies if you know the machine serial number...but i know nothing about that.

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:06:15 am
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 07:54:45 am »
i mean it's windows...if dump in your own drivers for stuff you can run it on anything.

Shawn's right. A few years ago I replaced my ML1 motherboard with a low power mini itx board with only passive cooling. The performance difference was night and day. Took a couple hours of installing drivers and hacking together the audio connections but was worth the effort

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 08:35:06 pm »

Are you saying that you're running this on a Dell PC?

Thanks!

I wouldn't offer tech support. There is literally nothing you can replace if it breaks other then getting a used hard drive on ebay like you mentioned. I don't think anyone has any old stock of the motherboards or ioboards. Even the PSU is specific to ML-1. And if the touchscreen goes, forget about it.

action76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 10:13:30 am
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 12:16:52 pm »
I came across a couple of these is a warehouse and got them for free.  Unfortunately they apparently have the internet only version of software on them and they just try to find the servers and reboot. Is there any way to get and put the stand alone software on them and get them to work? If so where can I find it?  Thanks for any help.

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 08:01:19 pm »
I came across a couple of these is a warehouse and got them for free.  Unfortunately they apparently have the internet only version of software on them and they just try to find the servers and reboot. Is there any way to get and put the stand alone software on them and get them to work? If so where can I find it?  Thanks for any help.

Yes me or Mahkeymike can help. You'd need to ship your drives, can't do it yourself
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 07:02:37 am by Megatouchmike »

action76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 10:13:30 am
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 09:24:20 am »
Thanks for the response Megatouchmike!  Please send me the details about this. I would love to get these up and running.  Also, might like to do the MB swap upgrade if it runs alot better.

Thanks.

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 07:02:15 am »
Sounds good, pm coming