Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Suggestions for all-n-1 machines  (Read 8766 times)

processedmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:49:22 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
Re: Suggestions for all-n-1 machines
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 05:52:36 pm »
Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other forums here, but do a search on UKVAC for Chunksin images download. He's done embedded, read-only groovyMAME images for Windows 7 and pi. You can then play any groovyMAME game and switch your cabs off without going through a shutdown procedure.

I second this!  All of my mame machines use this Window 7 build on SSDs and after two years of hard shutoffs, they are still going strong.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2022, 02:27:19 pm »
Bump!

Had an issue with the Gorf today. The SD Card became corrupted. Luckily I had a spare, but I reburned it from the image I had and it's back in business. No real reason that I can see on why the SD card became corrupted, but it's up and running now. It lasted slightly over 2 years with 2-3 power ons per month.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2022, 03:33:36 pm »
Bump!

Had an issue with the Gorf today. The SD Card became corrupted. Luckily I had a spare, but I reburned it from the image I had and it's back in business. No real reason that I can see on why the SD card became corrupted, but it's up and running now. It lasted slightly over 2 years with 2-3 power ons per month.

I continue to have good luck with bbegin's Pi4 MAME image but Gorf has a nag screen so you would have to install his image and then make some tweaks which he would happily walk you through.  I have 2 Pi4s running the same image with no issues and probably 100+ reboots over the last month trying to set everything up.  It runs Attract Mode with the ArcadeSD vertical theme and can be set to boot straight to Gorf (I think) and there is no Retropie or settings stuff to worry about (since it does not run Retropie).

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2022, 04:14:08 pm »
Good deal Javery. I don't know what killed my image, but I suspect the sudden shutoff eventually killed it. Just be sure to take an image of the SD card for easy restoring - it worked no problems for me.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2022, 04:17:09 pm »
Good deal Javery. I don't know what killed my image, but I suspect the sudden shutoff eventually killed it. Just be sure to take an image of the SD card for easy restoring - it worked no problems for me.

Definitely.  I bought 4 SD cards so each cab has a backup just inside the coin door in case something goes wrong.  Plus, I have the images on my computer as well.

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2022, 01:46:33 pm »
a little while back i was bored so i pulled an old crappy dell p4 out of the basement, loaded it up with ram, and connected a CF to ide adaptor to it.
then i used a tool called wintousb to install tiny 7 to the CF card and booted the pc from that.
it did take some fiddling.
then i got all the drivers installed along with attractmode and advmame.
set it up so it booted to attractmode and then booted it up, played some games then pulled the plug.
did it about 15 times.
no corruption.

https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/

though booting even tiny 7 off a CF card is slow.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2022, 04:04:39 pm »
Two of my arcade games are Windows based Mame machines and they did fine during the same time frame and reboots. OS Corruption due to improper shutdowns is kind of a rare thing, but it can happen, without warning.