Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GM-EmuD w/CRT RGB modded setup  (Read 7822 times)

Edgecrusher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • This is the way
GM-EmuD w/CRT RGB modded setup
« on: November 21, 2021, 01:53:19 pm »
Hello all,
I'm trying to figure out my first Gm build and wondering if anyone has any tips for me. Specifically, I'm not sure in what order I should set things up in.
Object is to build a horizontal cab to play street fighter type arcade games. I'm hoping to do 4 players. I have a windows 10 desktop I can devote to the task. I have installed an AMD radeon HD 8570 GPU and will be connecting it to a Sony 32FV300 that I have RGB modded.
I'd like to use launchbox/bigbox as a front end running GM with CRT EmuDriver outputting the correct resolutions to my CRT.
I'm standing here looking at the task of setting this all up and it looks like a monumental undertaking since I'm not sure where to start. Do I setup launchbox first? GM? I guess I'm just not familiar with how they work together.
My experience so far is setting up a PI with retropie and retroarch/mame cores on a cocktail I built from scratch. I know enough to get into trouble. lol If there's some resource I can follow, point me there. I've been researching for about a month and still don't feel competent to start but I want to start this week, hopefullu with some help.

thanks
EDGE_
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 06:23:13 pm by Edgecrusher »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Setup Launchbox-GM-EmuD w/CRT RGB modded
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 03:03:23 am »
Hi Edgecrusher,

My advice is to start by configuring CRT Emudriver and GM, and only once you have it up and running and have gained experience with it, then start messing with a frontend. *NEVER* start wasting time with any frontend until you have solved the video part, because it will add an unnecesary layer of complexity to an already complex task.

This is the guide you should follow: https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=301
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
Re: Setup Launchbox-GM-EmuD w/CRT RGB modded
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 06:22:22 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, Calamity.
Modding my Sony was taking some time and I always gotta be figuring more out at one time than necessary. That's just me.

Anyway, I finally got my set ready to test and have found a new problem to ask about. As I said before, It's a sony consumer TV that's been RGB'ed to VGA. From there I have to use a DVI adapter since my GPU has DVI and a HDMI output. I setup the driver properly. Now I'm following your write-up and it's the same one you suggested above. However, I can't figure out why this is the picture I get. It's stable as in sync'ed and not rolling, but blurred like this. Is this a VmMaker setting or a TV adjustment?

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
Re: GM-EmuD w/CRT RGB modded setup
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 09:12:31 pm »
One more thing. My steps start to diverge from your write-up around where you start Edid emulation and your screen goes wonky and you can turn on the target crt.
While I'm going through that I'm still getting picture to the LCD I'm using to setup everything. I have had moments where everything got really big on the LCD. But I don't lose usability of it. There's a driver on my motherboard that's taking over evidently. It's not the Intel HD driver that was working before I started all this. It's just a basic windows driver. I also don't get any information about the TV displayed in windows. In device manager it just displays as a generic pnp display and in VmMaker it refers to it as whatever setting I have it on in the first tab of settings. Is it possible I need to get only the Emudriver controling displays including my lcd? I had kind of written that off since I am getting out put through my GPU and this bad image on the tv screen. I just figure Emudriver is running simultaneously but I'm not savvy enough to know if it should be or not. When I set windows display to extend across both the tv and the LCD it always prefers the TV for some reason and I can't get to the windows because their on a wavy TV screen. Is that a digital signal on my TV? Hope I'm making sense. Hope someone can give me some kind of input as I'm pulling my hair out over this!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 09:14:14 pm by Edgecrusher »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 02:53:48 am »
Woah, slow down. Start again. Step by step.

In Calamity's guide, his PC CRT is plugged into the analog VGA/DVI-I port when he starts. Not into a digital port. After setting test mode and installing the driver, he then enables EDID emulation on that same analog port (with the preset set to Generic_15kHz). That analog port is then pushing a 15kHz mode and the PC CRT loses sync (all newer PC CRT's won't sync to under 31kHz). So he plugs his 15kHz BVM CRT into that same analog port and it should work.

If you aren't doing *exactly* that, please try it that way. If you can't do that (say, if the LCD only takes HDMI or DP) then say that, and we'll see what you might need to do instead. If it fails, tell us exactly what you are doing and what happens.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:34:59 am by buttersoft »

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 11:06:11 am »
That's pretty much what i described. I dont have any crts that i can connect to use that way. I have to use this lcd. Otherwise, i would.
I have the lcd plugged into an hdmi on the motherboard which is why it's standing alone so to speak. I could try plugging it in to the radeon but i dont see what good that'll do unless someone can explain.
I printed out the instructions and read them three times before even starting this. Everything was done exactly the wsy described. Only differences being in how my lcd is connected instead of a crt monitor and the fact i have a modded commercial tv hooked up via vga-dvi passive adapter to the video card. When i flip my blanking switch for the tv I do not get a clear picture. Instead it looks like above. It doesn't roll vertically so I assume I have the sync sorted. Is that correct?
At this point Im hoping someone can confirm that this is a setting issue on the PC and not a defect in my RGB mod to the tv.
What does a screen like that tell someone who knows crts,? I guess that's my biggest question and what ive been scouring the net to find evidence of.
Thank you for taking time to reply

Ps im also looking for help on shmups where i learned this mod. I really wish i had a device to connect and prove the rgb mod is fine. It is a very well documented mod however.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 11:20:48 am »
Correction the HD 8570 does not have hdmi. Im not sure what it is. Looks like hdmi shape but is square on one side

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 05:26:14 pm »
Ok, number 1: It looks like you sucesfully moded your tv, however, have you tried another rgb source to see if your image is stable?
so that leads me to #2: Your picture looks like it lack sync, so you migh want to try another sync port, usually on rgb moded tuvs the yellow plug would do, but you can try another ports to see if your image gets stable.
#3, the way to set up correctly, is, by using an lcd monitor, the you install regular amd drivers first, then after reboot, you install calamity emudrivers, it will ask you to reboot, 2 times, once to anble drivers safety something like that, and reboot after you actually instal the drivers. once that happens and you open VMMaker  and follow the instructions, basically you need to choose your conection and selec the dvi analog option to anable the drivers, from there you can conect you tv and should be able to see windows on your tv. Thats how ive done it several times.
Things to consider, double check you vga brekout cable, you should have one, if you are just using a regular cable, that wont work. By the way, what ind of cable are you using?
Ill help you get your stuff ready, just post pics of the cable you using, and will go from there.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 06:59:22 pm »
Wow. This really shouldn't be so complicated.

Your pic looks like 31khz and/or H sync problem. You aren't getting 15khz output.

Are you using an LCD attached to the on-board HDMI out? Don't do that. Windows will detect it automatically and load default drivers for onboard video, which are not CRT_EMU. Any drivers you've loaded for your HD8570 card will not be used, possibly uninstalled even.

If you must run setup with that LCD monitor then you should run it from the HD8570. Best would be to connect it to the DVI-I port. If your LCD isn't DVI then get an adapter (DVI-HDMI I assume) and use that.

Now install your CRT-EMU drivers (follow the instructions) and when your LCD loses image, connect your TV to the same DVI port (I guess you are using a DVI-I to VGA adapter for that). Hopefully it will all be sweeeeet :D
Check out my completed projects!

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 08:38:45 pm »
Ok, number 1: It looks like you sucesfully moded your tv, however, have you tried another rgb source to see if your image is stable?
so that leads me to #2: Your picture looks like it lack sync, so you migh want to try another sync port, usually on rgb moded tuvs the yellow plug would do, but you can try another ports to see if your image gets stable.
#3, the way to set up correctly, is, by using an lcd monitor, the you install regular amd drivers first, then after reboot, you install calamity emudrivers, it will ask you to reboot, 2 times, once to anble drivers safety something like that, and reboot after you actually instal the drivers. once that happens and you open VMMaker  and follow the instructions, basically you need to choose your conection and selec the dvi analog option to anable the drivers, from there you can conect you tv and should be able to see windows on your tv. Thats how ive done it several times.
Things to consider, double check you vga brekout cable, you should have one, if you are just using a regular cable, that wont work. By the way, what ind of cable are you using?
Ill help you get your stuff ready, just post pics of the cable you using, and will go from there.

Thank you. I'm new to every bit of this. (pun intended) I'm going head first right into two technical things at one time; RGB modding tv sets and setting up arcade systems. I'm an electrician by trade and I work on control systems in industrial machines so much of this isn't too far from my wheelhouse fortunately. However, I always appreciate a helpful person.
I'm working with the guys over at Shmups. Being green I wasn't sure why my screen looked the way it does. I thought sync was just the constant flipping of the screen. I get that when I change the input on the tv to one of the other videos. I've done a bunch of research on sync and been given some suggestions which I'm going to try tonight when I get home.
Very sorry to be wasting space here as at first I couldn't be sure what was going on. I don't have another device to prove out my TV set and I've never setup GM on anything like this before. We don't have scart here in the US and it just didn't seem right to try using a CRT screen in my arcade cabinet and not have the full RGB quality.

One question I do have that will help me tonight; does the "enable composite sync" function work in VmMaker? If so does that then output a Csync signal directly out the vga on Pin 13 like I was told? If so I'm going to try that and cut out this other sync converter circuit I have made. Otherwise, I have a plan "B" after that and then hopefully I will be coming back and showing you my beautiful screen!

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 08:45:12 pm »
Wow. This really shouldn't be so complicated.

Your pic looks like 31khz and/or H sync problem. You aren't getting 15khz output.

Are you using an LCD attached to the on-board HDMI out? Don't do that. Windows will detect it automatically and load default drivers for onboard video, which are not CRT_EMU. Any drivers you've loaded for your HD8570 card will not be used, possibly uninstalled even.

If you must run setup with that LCD monitor then you should run it from the HD8570. Best would be to connect it to the DVI-I port. If your LCD isn't DVI then get an adapter (DVI-HDMI I assume) and use that.

Now install your CRT-EMU drivers (follow the instructions) and when your LCD loses image, connect your TV to the same DVI port (I guess you are using a DVI-I to VGA adapter for that). Hopefully it will all be sweeeeet :D

Have you done a RGB mod before? I see all those cabinets in your sig, that's really cool. Are those arcade monitors or commercial tubes?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 09:13:50 pm »
Very sorry to be wasting space here as at first I couldn't be sure what was going on. I don't have another device to prove out my TV set and I've never setup GM on anything like this before. We don't have scart here in the US and it just didn't seem right to try using a CRT screen in my arcade cabinet and not have the full RGB quality.

You could try a component input CRT TV with a GreenAntz RGB to component transcoder. Component CRT TVs are common in the US. Setup is exactly the same as for an RGB CRT TV, except you can use standard cables and no fraggling around with TV mods and dodgy connections.

GreenAntz handles all the sync stuff for you too. I co-designed and build these transcoders, so you can contact me directly if that is what you want.

One question I do have that will help me tonight; does the "enable composite sync" function work in VmMaker? If so does that then output a Csync signal directly out the vga on Pin 13 like I was told? If so I'm going to try that and cut out this other sync converter circuit I have made. Otherwise, I have a plan "B" after that and then hopefully I will be coming back and showing you my beautiful screen!

Yes the "enable composite sync" function on VMMaker does work, and will work with most CRT TVs. It uses XNOR logic and probably does at least as good a job as most of the composite sync circuits out there. If there was a problem with your Csync forming... it might look like your pic if there was no Hsync, but as Hsync is carried on VGA pin 13 that seems unlikely.

Have you done a RGB mod before? I see all those cabinets in your sig, that's really cool. Are those arcade monitors or commercial tubes?

I just posted on the Monitor/Video branch about *component* modding TVs, so that might interest you.

I've done cabs with all kinds of CRTs in them, including arcade monitors, pro video monitors and RGB TVs. Hacked video inputs countless times. Unlike you, when I started in this hobby some 15+ years ago, I knew very little about electronics, CRTs or repairing them. So it has been a big learning curve involving experience, research, hard work, experimentation and this forum (and others) have been great teachers.

Lately I've been doing a lot of work on the component video side as it is almost as good as RGB, certainly great for retrogaming, and makes available a lot of CRT TVs that would otherwise get thrown out or gutted for parts (tubes). Not all TVs are (easily) RGB moddable, but might be component moddable. There are probably at least three times as many component vs RGB CRT TVs available, even more so in certain regions like North and South America where the standard really took off in the DVD era.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 09:49:25 pm »
That's interesting. I have been experimenting with TVs just since I heard about this retro-gaming thing this summer. I started out with a retropie configuration first and started buying converters off amazon to try to get a decent picture on a 20" tube which only had composite and s-video. I ended up using an HDMI to S-video converter and the result isn't half bad. It's not crisp at all. I built it all into a nice cocktail table that I gave to my wife because she loved Mrs. Pac-man and I loved Galaga so it made sense.

I have a few TVs I picked up. This one is a Sony Wega Trintron. I think I already posted the model. I wish it wasn't so big, but I decided I want to build a 4 player horizontal cabinet with it. I also have a really nice Samsung 32 or 36 that I bought at a time where I thought I was going to do component hookups with Pi's. Not sure what I'll do with it though because one 32" cabinet is gonna take up a lot of room let alone two. I have another 20" that I also tried RGB on and tried hooking up this week but I think I blew something in the flyback circuit because I can hear it power on, there's no picture then a few seconds later a flash on the screen and it powers down. Don't know if it's worth bothering with because somewhere down the line the tube got scratched really bad right in the middle. Ugh.
I would like to find another 19-20" though because I want to build a smaller verticle cabinet shaped like a Tempest cabinet and have it full of Shmups which is what I really like playing myself.

I would like to learn more about your component modding. I'm kinda surprised I haven't come across it yet. I've been eating and breathing this stuff for months now.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 09:52:03 pm »
I'd also be very interested in any tips you can give related to building a 4 player..

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2021, 10:36:02 pm »
That's interesting. I have been experimenting with TVs just since I heard about this retro-gaming thing this summer. I started out with a retropie configuration first and started buying converters off amazon to try to get a decent picture on a 20" tube which only had composite and s-video. I ended up using an HDMI to S-video converter and the result isn't half bad. It's not crisp at all.

Those "converters" mostly give mediocre performance at best. Generally they just scale the image to 480i. You lose all your arcade pixel crispiness, wrong aspect ratio, interlaced (flickery), latency (lag). A component mod would be way ahead of this in quality.

I would like to find another 19-20" though because I want to build a smaller verticle cabinet shaped like a Tempest cabinet and have it full of Shmups which is what I really like playing myself.

19-21" upright lowboy is the perfect size for a tight shmup cab.

I would like to learn more about your component modding. I'm kinda surprised I haven't come across it yet. I've been eating and breathing stuff for months now.

I'm likewise surprised more people aren't doing component modding. RGB modding is good and great but can be pretty complicated, and not all TVs are suitable. We might not be afraid of complicated, but I've heard a couple of stories where people have done an RGB mod only to regret the time, effort and messiness of that vs a simpler component mod (and plugging in a GreenAntz).

Maybe you could have a look at the thread and see what's possible for TVs you have or get in the future.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 04:40:48 am »
I'd also be very interested in any tips you can give related to building a 4 player..

Not to be negative, but the advice most commonly given is... don't. Do a two-player job first. Possibly with an eye to expanding it, even changing the control panel out.

The reason is that 4-player setups see so little use. There are far fewer games, and you have to organise things more to get ppl round, etc. It's like adding spinners or trackballs - they give you a complete setup, but you'll never use them.

If you have a two player setup and find yourself wishing often enough that it was actually a 4-player, you know you want one.

There are always exceptions, so you can certainly go for it if you want.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 05:56:50 am »
Buttersoft is right, two-player cabs will get the best usage.

I once did a 4P cab for a family with two gamer boys, and both Mum and Dad were into it all too, but that is the exception rather than the norm.

If I was to do a four player for myself, I’d rather try linking 2 x 2 player setups, so 2 screens and more elbow room for everyone. Think 2 Japanese Astro cabs Or 2 candy cabs linked together

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2021, 01:52:08 pm »
That's an idea I never heard before. I was planning to do the 2pl vertical with a the smaller screen. But now that you mention that, maybe I should use the two super nice 32" sets for two separate 2 player cabs. With big screens I can get away with orienting them horizontally and use bezels for the vertical games.

thanks for the ideas, I'm gonna have to look into how I can network cabs. I have a Big Box License and was planning on using that for a front end.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2021, 03:50:09 pm »
That's an idea I never heard before. I was planning to do the 2pl vertical with a the smaller screen. But now that you mention that, maybe I should use the two super nice 32" sets for two separate 2 player cabs. With big screens I can get away with orienting them horizontally and use bezels for the vertical games.

thanks for the ideas, I'm gonna have to look into how I can network cabs. I have a Big Box License and was planning on using that for a front end.

Aside from racing games like Daytona and Sega Rally, linking 2+ cabs together is fairly common in Japanese arcades too. I've even see it done for Streetfighter where each player sits at their own dedicated 29" Astro cab! Streetfighter is obviously quite competitive and it is amazing the lengths people will go to to prevent interference from the other player, or even for just a little more elbow room.

You don't actually need to network anything - use a single CPU. Just split the video and audio signals out to two separate monitors/speakers (may need a video amp), Other than that, the wiring would all be normal and straightforward.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 05:07:01 pm »
Ok. Well having to build a second cab just to play four player games doesn't sound that much better. If the second cab could run games on it's own, then network with the first for the four player games that would be much more practical. How about one 4 player setup to play 2 players comfortably, and then 4 when necessary? lol. I have a few brother in-laws that come stay at my house for vacation several times a year and I just envisioned some drunken game playing from time to time. ;)

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2021, 05:42:45 pm »
The cab second from left in my signature below is the four-player I mentioned earlier. It is built into a "TMNT" LAI design cab (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), which was reasonably popular back in the Aussie arcades. They also served very well for two-player gaming, you just don't use the P3 and P4 places (on the wings). When there are just two players the wings give you somewhere to rest your beer, so hidden benefits  :cheers:

Control panel has clamps underneath to hold it down tightly. When released, the whole panel opens up towards the front, on a piano hinge. Reasonably compact design, but getting the control panel through tight doorways was a bit difficult. Making the whole panel removable is a good idea.

EDIT: cab #7 from left is also the same TMNT design cab, but setup for just two players

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 05:44:41 pm by Zebidee »

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2021, 06:16:33 pm »
So the adventure continues:

I now have gotten the picture to stabilize.

However, as you can see it's not in the right place.

Also, the settings I had to use were not what I expected. The only way I could get a stable syn is to set VmMaker to these settings:

So I assume I'm not outputting 15Khz like I need, correct?

If I restart the PC the picture goes to where it belongs but then it seems like it gets moved for reasons I don't understand.

Why is NTSC only working? It has the same Vfreq. as the others

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2021, 06:23:23 pm »
when i only change monitor presets to Arcade 15.7khz-standard, It looks the same but slowly rolls upward.
 :banghead:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2021, 07:26:48 pm »
You ARE getting a 15khz signal there. Problem now is you aren't getting proper V sync. Your H sync might be missing too (it looks OK from the pic, but your TV might be just winging it, estimating from the picture info).

First thing to look at is your hardware, how you are generating composite sync (are you doing this?), and how you are connecting that into the TV.

CRT_emudriver can generate a composite sync signal for you, it outputs to VGA pin 13. This is probably the neatest and easiest way to do it.

Sync level out of the GPU will be too high for TV, you should put a resistor (500 to 1000 ohms should do, or pick the middle and use 680R) in series on the sync line before it gets to your TV. You've done an RGB mod, so not sure how you are doing the sync input. Mostly people inject the sync via the AV input (which should already be properly terminated).

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2021, 07:35:21 pm »
oh thank goodness. I was just about to give up.

What I changed was I made a new sync line consisting of 330ohm (equivalent) resistance from the 13 pin to an rca on the vid1 input. Ironically, it doesn't sync when used with the Csync option.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2021, 07:36:47 pm »
I calculated that I needed 0.3v to 1v for sync and since the source is TTL(5v) 330 puts me right around 0.9v.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2021, 07:38:28 pm »
What I changed was I made a new sync line consisting of 330ohm (equivalent) resistance from the 13 pin to an rca on the vid1 input. Ironically, it doesn't sync when used with the Csync option.

There you have it, you have no V sync

I calculated that I needed 0.3v to 1v for sync and since the source is TTL(5v) 330 puts me right around 0.9v.

Sync should be ~0.3vpp, you need a larger resistor value

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2021, 07:39:06 pm »
Could this resistor cause the sync to be off like this?
I'm also missing a little of the left of the screen.
Adjusted service menu and this is the best I got so far.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2021, 07:39:56 pm »
ok I'll try that. thx

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2021, 07:40:53 pm »
I'm just curious why the Csync is working but not enabled on VmMaker?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2021, 07:43:18 pm »
Could this resistor cause the sync to be off like this?

You have no V sync, that is why the picture is off (vertically). You should use the composite sync out of CRT_emudriver. Work that out, then worry about the left/right position

I'm just curious why the Csync is working but not enabled on VmMaker?

Have you tried using VMMaker to re-generate and re-install the video modes after ticking/clicking the box to enable Csync?

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2021, 07:56:44 pm »
well so far when I click Csync, I totally lose sync like my first pic.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2021, 08:01:47 pm »
i have about 800ohms on there now and in the process of setting it back up.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2021, 08:03:19 pm »
yep still all scrambled with Csync on. Do I need to do something with modes still?

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2021, 08:05:33 pm »
generated and installed modes after and my screen is still scrambled.

edit im on generic 15 going back to ntsc

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2021, 08:10:03 pm »
yup. now I can't get a stable sync even in NTSC.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2021, 08:11:17 pm »
Are you sure your wires are crossed somehow? Seems like a connection issue.

Enabling Csync should blank output from VGA 14, so you'll only get output from VGA13. What happens for you is like your sync is connected to VGA14. It is important to completely disconnect VGA14 when using CRTEMU Csync, because otherwise its electrical potential can float and interfere with VGA13's output.

I've occasionally seen issues using the CRTEMU csync output before, like the Vsync not latching on properly so the screen rolls or flashes on/off, but nothing like what you're having (like no sync at all).

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2021, 08:12:26 pm »
How are you connecting everything? Pics?

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2021, 08:12:38 pm »
however, I now have a good position on the left (horizontal). But I'm slowly scrolling up vertically without Csync and no picture with Csync.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2021, 08:14:29 pm »
lol you would ask for pics now hehe, I have everything a mess trying different things. Ill show ya give me a minute