Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DIY Skeeball  (Read 9415 times)

retrogamedude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:28:15 pm
DIY Skeeball
« on: November 16, 2021, 09:07:03 am »
Had an idea to build my own skeeball game and the wife gave it the ok, starting this thread to show progress and hopefully by the end I will have a working skeeball game.  A BIG thanks to the inspiration to this- thatpurplestuff for his thread which I have followed closely with my build and unclet for his measurements and pictures of the real game. I have some real skeeball parts that I will be mixing in with my home built parts as well as an arduino that I will be writing code to act just like the real game.  Any questions just ask away, hopefully I can get it mostly done before the end of this year!

Weekend 1 progress- cut down all the wood needed for the lane as well as part of the score field.  The lane itself is just under 10ft and is made from 3/4 for the sides and 1/2 for the lane itself birch plywood.  I tend to over engineer things so they can last so I went with plywood rather than mdf as its in a basement and could possibly get wet if something leaks.  Used pocket holes and glue to make it all rock solid

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: DIY Skeeball
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 10:48:16 am »
This is on my dream list of projects someday.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.   :cheers:

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 11:12:59 am »
Holy crap.  This looks great already - you got more done in a weekend than I can do in a year LOL.  Good idea using the stretchers under the surface so it won't ever warp.  It looks solid!  How long is it?  Yet another thing to be jealous of that I don't have the room for...

:cheers:

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 08:19:53 am »
Holy crap.  This looks great already - you got more done in a weekend than I can do in a year LOL.  Good idea using the stretchers under the surface so it won't ever warp.  It looks solid!  How long is it?  Yet another thing to be jealous of that I don't have the room for...

:cheers:
Its for sure solid, did the i'm going to walk and jump on it test and it passed so a few skeeballs should have no issues.  The lane itself is just under 10ft, its going to be big but i have a full size basement in my house so should fit nicely in my planned arcade room against the wall.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:17:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 09:54:00 am »
Looking great already, love the long lane and pocket holes!

Keep it up, I just got mine playable again for the first time in years and I forgot how fun it is.  I'll be following this build so if you have any questions I might be able to help with, just ask!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:23:31 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 10:34:27 am »
YES!! do it.  can't wait to see the the progress..

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 11:04:02 am »
Looking great already, love the long lane and pocket holes!

Keep it up, I just got mine playable again for the first time in years and I forgot how fun it is.  I'll be following this build so if you have any questions I might be able to help with, just ask!
Thanks for the kind words, I spent hours pouring over your thread to get ideas on how to tackle this so thanks again for your detailed work and best practices.  You should update your thread with current progress! 

Made a bit more progress last night, made a dado cut in the ball ramp for the ball to ride in along with a led channel to light up the ball ramp.  Should have changed out my table saw blade for a dado blade but did it the lazy way with a bunch of passes through.  Also put on the side to the ball ramp which turned out to be more challenging due to not having much room to put in pocket hole screws in the small 3.5 inch space half way inside the ramp.  Once done flipped it over and put on the metal cover and a plastic cover that I had laying around to see how it would look.  Was quite satisfying to see it slowly come together and my measurements werent too far off to have to rip it apart and fix anything....yet.  Next task is to start cutting the score area wood now that I have the ramp done and can match the exact width.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 02:04:20 pm »
Nice woodworking.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 12:24:41 am »
Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- this is awesome.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

nipsmg

• Online Online
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 08:05:57 am »
That fact that you found that plastic cover is impressive, took me FOREVER to find one. 

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 09:27:06 am »
That fact that you found that plastic cover is impressive, took me FOREVER to find one.
yeah i lucked out and found a guy selling parts on craigslist locally, i was busy so the wife went down to some random warehouse to get them along with 9 balls and some other random parts and 2 cpu's all for 50 bucks. have 3 pieces total. wont be quite long enough but its a start! 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 02:46:03 pm »
Looks great.  Just the addition of that ball cover and ticket dispenser really makes it look authentic.

zeorangr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:48:10 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165836.0.html
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 02:59:10 pm »
This is really cool - makes me wish I had space in my house for a skeeball machine!
-z-

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 06:58:16 pm »
Looking great so far!  Makes me want one already.  Keep it up!

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »
Finally got some time to work on the scoring area, turned out pretty well and is giant.  Have it propped up currently until i get a way to attach the ramp to the scoring area and finish up with placing the scoring ring backboard into the cabinet after i get the holes for the 100 baskets placed.  Had my shop dog helping me as well

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 11:12:59 am »
Amazing work.   :applaud:

How are you planning to decorate the sides?  Any artwork in mind or maybe some woodgrain vinyl?

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 02:13:13 pm »
Seeing fresh new skilled woodworking in the projects threads is just really nice.  The only other Skeeball build that I know of is thatpurplestuff's, if wasn't for that I wouldn't even know what Skeeball was.

Great work.   :cheers:

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 05:29:31 am »
I'm the same - had no idea what Skeeball was - had to watch a video  :)

Looking like a really clean and sturdy build so far  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2021, 07:30:57 am »
Amazing work.   :applaud:

How are you planning to decorate the sides?  Any artwork in mind or maybe some woodgrain vinyl?
Probably just going to paint it the same color as the original model S, which was red.  Might try a skeeball logo or something on the side though to make it look a little less plain.

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 08:34:15 am »
Decided to redo the sides of the scoring area, made the top part too large and didn't like the sharp angle as a real skeeball game has curves, had to design the curve and use my way too dull flush trim bit which caused some burning but game out pretty good.  Still need to sand them smooth and looks much more like the real thing.  Also cut the circles out for the scoring area lighting as well as installed the red beacon on top of the game.  Found some spare red oak that i used for a different project and made them the side supports to hold up the scoring ring backboard.  Put it next to the lane and was glad to see the beacon is still below the joists in the basement, yay for tall ceilings.  Tracked down some more plastic rail covers including the ticket dispenser cover which is awesome, now to work on the ball return under the scoring rings and work on the ramp.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:37:36 am by retrogamedude »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 01:02:06 am »
This is coming along quite well of course!

Sorry if I missed it earlier...
Did you have a donor available for getting the angles of the playfield right?

I imagine the original looking rolled part you have there is critical to this all working properly.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 01:22:00 pm »
This is coming along quite well of course!

Sorry if I missed it earlier...
Did you have a donor available for getting the angles of the playfield right?

I imagine the original looking rolled part you have there is critical to this all working properly.
I am going off of the measurements provided by another user Unclet on here as well as I went to a bar locally that had a model S and measured a bunch of stuff.  Surprisingly they didn't even ask what i was doing when i got out my tape measure and level.  The ramp is an original skeeball part from bay-tech so yeah if the playfield is off once i get everything on i can still tweak it if needed.  Half of woodworking is learning how to hide your mistakes!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 02:21:08 pm »
I am going off of the measurements provided by another user Unclet on here
Those are a great resource.   ;D

http://unclet.arcadecontrols.com/SkeeBall/SkeeballPics1.html

Scott

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2022, 07:12:30 pm »
Its been a few months and have been super busy but finally got some time to work on the mess in the basement as i refer to it as.  I finished up the ball return area for the scoring area.  Created a trough for the ball to fall into and roll down and then into the ball return on the ramp.  So far my slopes seem like they are working properly and might add some sound deadening on the inside as it can be loud.  Used my router on my track saw track for the first time and it was a delight to use. Added a shelf in the back glass to hold the score counter and ball counter.  Also knocked out getting the ramp built and the ball hop installed which involved a lot of climbing underneath of it and managed to get the ball return solenoid installed. 

Going to start priming and panting the scoring area while i finish up the ramp, still need to work on getting lane bumpers but baytek was less than helpful trying to find one similar to the model S, they have some different kinds but dont want to take pictures of each and cant provide samples, might just have to order some and hope for the best.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2022, 02:00:38 am »
Very slick.
This is some great woodwork!

nipsmg

• Online Online
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2022, 07:12:07 am »
Wow.  Amazing job.

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2022, 03:15:08 pm »
Haven't had a lot of time until recently to continue the skeeball project, its just been sitting in the basement while I tackle other house projects

Started installing threaded inserts for the plastic ball covers, takes a while to get them aligned correctly

picked up a ticket dispenser cover and also a ticket dispenser along with a ton of tickets, figured if i am going to make it look like the real thing it had better work like the real thing.

Began test fitting the display and light unit, came up with a metal bracket system that lets me move it in all directions to fine tune where it needs to go

got the marquee installed and looks like my display fitment came out pretty good.

Decided I also wanted a coin mech instead of just pushing a button so I ripped out the 4x4 posts I had to begin mounting the coin mech, I had glued and screwed in the posts so it took quite a bit to get them out. The new coin slot is off to the left.

Figured while i was ripping out the front legs might as well do the back to make it look like the real thing with metal legs, came up with a system to mount the metal leg on the remaining 4x4 inside the cabinet

Finally got around to putting the 2 sections together, its just under 13 feet long, also working on getting the bumpers installed, I had bought real bumpers from the skeeball company but had to mod them and insert a metal bar to then attach to the sides, took forever but will be easy to take in and out if needed.

Bumpers in!

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2022, 07:29:41 pm »
Its not dead!!!  Just a busy summer of endless house projects and work.  Here is some progress pics over the last week or so

Moved the skeeball to the other side of the basement, not easy by myself but got it over there with the help of a rolling platform.  Worked on the front boxes that will house the coin box.

Got the coin mech in

Primed!! 

Got some behr marquee paint mixed, close red to the original. 

Testing out the hole layout i made earlier with the original rings, matches up pretty well.  Once on the backboard it will be laid out correctly, this was just a trial to make sure before putting the cork down that the ramp and lane were at the correct angles.

Most stressful part yet, cork glue down.  Luckily i had a helper (my wife) but man is it hard to get a perfect layer of glue and ensure that nothing is missed and then laying it down and adding a ton of weight so it doesnt bubble up.  Used PVC pipe filled with sand for the ramp as its round and fits the curved profile.

The final result, cork went down well with no bumps that I can tell

Started work on the wood side parts that cover the edges of the cork on the lane, cut and routed the edges along with the wood parts under the bumper that will house LED strips to light up the lane.  Not original but adds a bit of customization

Also added LED's in the ball trough that will be diffused

Currently painting the wood parts to put in, need to work on the marquee alignment and paint the front boxes for the coin box.  Still need to wire up everything but that is a problem for future me. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:47:34 pm by retrogamedude »

socker1485

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2023, 04:17:09 pm
  • Working on skeeball, shuffleboard is next!
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2023, 01:49:42 pm »
Impressive!!

Quick question, where did you get the ramp from?  I am struggling to make sure the ramp on my build is the proper angle.

nipsmg

• Online Online
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2023, 06:47:08 am »
Where did you get the cork? Bangor?  Ballpark on the price? I really need to re-do mine.

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 07:44:32 am »
Impressive!!

Quick question, where did you get the ramp from?  I am struggling to make sure the ramp on my build is the proper angle.

I got the ramp from the company that bought out skeeball called baytek, here is the link to the ramp
https://parts.baytekent.com/SearchParts.aspx?SearchValue=A5HO8100

I might have a spare that came from an old machine i got parts from if you want a used one.

Where did you get the cork? Bangor?  Ballpark on the price? I really need to re-do mine.
Yeah its from bangor, i think for the 10ft of lane cork and the scoring rings and backboard it was just over 300. 

socker1485

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2023, 04:17:09 pm
  • Working on skeeball, shuffleboard is next!
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 09:50:08 pm »
Dang wish I would have seen this.  I ended up finding one on iceball's website.

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2023, 04:00:58 pm »
Quick update, got the cork on ring scoring area and the backboard, cleaned up the rings and got new numbers on them as well as finished up all the wiring for the entire game.  Installed all the optical switches instead of the mechanical ones for better reading.  Currently working on the net but have the top brackets installed along with the ball deflectors for behind the back rings.  Played the first game the other night but had to be careful without nets.  Still need to work on the LED strips but other than that its getting to the point where its almost done. 

Rings cleaned up and new number decals

Test fitting the rings

optical switch install

held in place by velcro so i can get the distance to the ball correct, after that will use screws to ensure they stay put.

added ball deflector posts as well as the top net brackets

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2023, 09:28:15 am »
Looking good !

I sold my Skeeball machine many many years ago so I cannot use it as a reference anymore, but I did find the following net "cage" side measurements I took a long time ago which might help you (or someone in the future) out.   
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 09:48:37 am by unclet »

retrogamedude

• Online Online
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 03:04:15 pm »
Forgot to update the completion of the skeeball project, got it completed and playable.  Managed to find a CPU from a real game so I didn't need to create one using an arduino but i still might give it a shot if this ever goes out.  I did find someone selling a bunch of skeeball cpu's so i have numerous in varying states that i need to work on. 

Managed to find real nets from a guy online and bent some 1/2 EMT pipe for the frame, came out pretty good in my opinion.  Also got the cpu in and the display all connected.

made the ball return slopes out of wood, traced an original and cut it out.  didnt want to trim the original to fit

put in the bean bags in the cups so the ball wouldnt bounce out

started wiring up the addressable LED's in the ball return as well as on the sides of the lane, adds a nice custom touch and can change to solid or different patterns in WLED

all the covers installed and finally put together

the board driving all the LED's is a dig-octa running WLED. such a great board and use them for my christmas light display as well