Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade only displays on my monitor when booting to USB  (Read 4863 times)

nespcbuild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 12:50:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyArcade only displays on my monitor when booting to USB
« on: November 15, 2021, 01:26:28 pm »
I'm having an issue getting GA to work after it's installed to the internal drive of my PC. If I select the 15khz with intel or nvidia option when booting to the USB, I can get it to work from the USB. However, when I install it to the HDD and reboot, The image isn't displaying properly on my arcade monitor anymore. It just looks garbled up like there's a sync issue.

This PC has in intel processor and during the initial setup process when booting from the USB, it tells me that it has to use super resolutions. I also noticed at the end of the setup process it says it detected a monitor that's possibly an LCD monitor and it asks if I want to validate the settings but regardless of which option I choose, it still won't work after installing to and booting to the internal drive. I guess maybe it could be incorrectly detecting an LCD monitor due to the fact that there's no VGA or DVI port on this machine and it only has an HDMI and mini display port output?

The only way I can see anything when booting to the internal drive is by connecting it to an LCD. I tried adjusting settings with the LCD connected but if I try to change the resolution settings from the groovyarcade setup menu, it tells me that changing the resolution isn't supported on my system. I'm not sure what other settings I would need to adjust. I already have my WG K7000 selected as the monitor type and it shows it listed if I view the switchres manual configuration. I'm not really understanding why it works from the USB stick but won't work properly when I try to install it to the SSD. Is it because it's mistakenly detecting that there's an LCD connected during the setup process? There doesn't appear to be any option to correct that that I can find. I can only validate the settings or choose not to validate and as I said before, they both have the same result.

When booting to the internal drive, is there a way to re-run the initial setup process that runs from the USB drive or to tell it again that I need it to boot in the display mode for 15khz with intel or nvidia processor? Or is there a way to specify that it's not connected to an LCD, if that's what's causing the issues?

WG K7000 monitor
PC is connected with HDMI to VGA adapter going to a jpac with the pin jumpers in the original position they came when I bought it
I can get the full PC specs if needed...
I'm using the 8.2021 image from the github page listed below but have also tired the 3.2021 image with the same results.
https://github.com/substring/os/releases

Also the monitor, cables, HDMI to VGA adapter, and jpac seem to be fine because they work when I have a raspberry pi connected running at 240p. Again, they also all work when running GA from the USB although it looks like it's running in interlaced mode (at least in the menus) because has a bit of flicker.

HUGE thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any help or suggestions.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Re: GroovyArcade only displays on my monitor when booting to USB
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 02:19:39 pm »
Hey!

First thing I need is: what is you GPU ? Then : are you booting on USB with 2 monitors connected ? Could you hear Jarvis speaking ? Have you validated that your K7000 displays ? Remember you can't swap connectors once installed, the 15kHz resolution is tied to the GFX card resolution (well this can be manually changed, but it requires a little knowledge)

nespcbuild

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 03:14:32 pm »
It's just using the integrated Intel® HD Graphics 520. There's no dedicated GPU

I'm booting to USB with only one monitor connected. I tried with LCD connected then I highlight the option for 15khz with intel/nvidia then swap the cable to the arcade monitor then press enter after the cable has been moved to the arcade monitor then it displays fine on the arcade monitor throughout the setup process but after installing to HDD and rebooting it doesn't display properly anymore and only will display if I switch back to the LCD. I've also tried counting keypresses that I need to select the required option and then connecting the arcade monitor and doing the initial boot the the USB blind but still selecting the options I need based on how many keypresses to move down to the correct option but it turns out the same.

I couldn't hear jarvis but I didn't have any audio connected

The Monitor and all cabes/adapters definitely work fine. I have a raspberry pi that works that I've been using until I can figure out how to het GA to work with the PC.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 04:46:40 pm »
How familiar are you with linux ? I need you to give me the result of a few commands ? Even booting on your LCD should be fine

nespcbuild

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 06:51:38 pm »
I'm just ok with it. I use Ubuntu fairly-regularly but I'm definitely no expert. If you give me the commands I'm pretty sure I can get the results into a text file to copy/paste into here if that's what you need.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 04:39:30 am »
The most important one : I need the output of cat /proc/cmdline

You can do this on SSH if your cab is connected to the network. Use putty, and in the IP field, set GROOVYARCADE (the netbios name works), then login with arcade/arcade.

Out of curiosity : is the K7000 a 15 or 31kHz monitor ?

nespcbuild

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 11:26:02 am »
The K7000 is 15khz and doesn't support any other frequencies unless I'm mistaken.

Here is the output from that command:

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux-15khz root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/6c1b7fb1-c57f-4162-88f5-311f59df4bef rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0 monitor=generic_15 video=HDMI-A-2: initrd=/initramfs-linux-15khz.img

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 04:08:50 pm »
ok, problem spotted. Can you, as root, edit /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and turn video=HDMI-A-2: to video=HDMI-A-2:1280x640iS then reboot ?

to help you with the command : run sudo nano /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg you will see the key combos listed in the bottom of the window

nespcbuild

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 05:14:25 pm »
OK. I gave that a try but it didn't work. The picture was still garbled. I booted to the USB again and ran cat /proc/cmdline and saw that it was set to 1280x480iS so I tried that in the config file and that worked - sort of. I can now see the menus and attract mode on the arcade monitor when booting from the internal drive.

I can't run any roms though. I guess I had never tested them when I was running from the USB and was just excited to have something on the screen at all. Some of them will make sound but the screen will be blank. Others will not make any sound even if I try to coin them up and they take a while to exit out if I press the escape key and sometimes will take a few presses and then dumps all the way out to the ga config menu rather than just back to attract mode.

Thanks for helping me out with this by the way. I"m really happy to be making some progress. If you have any ideas on how to get the roms to display on the screen please let me know.

nespcbuild

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 06:02:41 pm »
Actually I just came across another post for someone else with a similar issue where Calamity suggested to try setting -dotclock_min 25.0 in mame.ini. That seems to have fixed it and I can get the roms to launch now.

This is Awesome!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME OUT!!!!!

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 03:18:55 am »
Still,I'm curious to know why the autoconfiguration failed ... If it detects an intel or nvidia GPU, it should set the right resolution as well as the 25.0 min dotclock ...

nespcbuild

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 09:31:48 pm »
If you're extra curious, I can try some other troubleshooting if there's anything else you'd want me to check that would help. I actually have a handfull of these same PCs that I got for very cheap so I have spares that I could test with.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 06:17:03 am »
I just need you drop the /home/arcade/shared/logs/groovy.log, it should help me see better what happened

nespcbuild

• Offline Offline
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 09:48:23 pm by nespcbuild »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 03:50:57 am »
Thanks, I'll forensic that

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 09:46:26 am »
I suppose I miss some test case in the code, or maybe not. So I'd like to confirme something with you. The script considered you had a LCD plugged on HADMI-A-2, but no other monitor was found. So there are a few possible reasons for that :
  • Your K7000 is plugged on HDMI
  • If your K7000 is plugged on an analog output, you never confirmed it was turned on when required

Need your feedback on that, thank you.

nespcbuild

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 11:57:48 am »
The monitor is connected to the HDMI port on the PC.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 12:42:35 pm »
OK so I'm not surprised things are not working as expected, because you're on a digital output, not an analogue one.