Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Resizing screen in Coinops  (Read 3894 times)

Fizzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2021, 01:12:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Resizing screen in Coinops
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:24:40 am »
Hello, I am running Coinops Next 2 as my front end on my laptop in an arcade cabinet. I really like the way this front end works but when the screen is displayed on the tv through HDMI the top and bottom is cut off just a little bit. This does not happen on the laptop that the software is running on. I cannot find a setting that I can change to fix this. Has anybody else encountered this problem and figured out a fix?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:52:37 pm
Re: Resizing screen in Coinops
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 05:46:14 pm »
There isn't much you can do about this.

Most consumer TVs have "overscan" built in, usually around 3-7%. This works well for watching TV and movies, where for the overwhelming majority of the time there is nothing interesting at the extreme edges. Manufacturers also do it because people would otherwise be complaining about black bars around the sides, thinking they aren't getting full use of the TV screen or something. People expect the picture to fill the frame.

You might be able to adjust overscan settings by accessing the TV service or factory mode. This is different for every TV.
Check out my completed projects!

Fizzer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2021, 01:12:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 07:58:56 am »
I saw somewhere that somebody suggested there was a setting in CoinOPS called "Allow Game Overscan for Arcades" and you access this settings menu by pressing R Thumbstick. I am using a keyboard encoder not an xbox controller and I cannot figure out how to get access to this settings menu. I can access a settings menu by pressing the tab key but I do not see anything about allowing overscan for arcades. Maybe this R Thumbstick is accessing a different settings menu? Has anybody ever come across this?

thank you.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 10:28:01 am »
There is a setting in the mame.ini, "intoverscan", which will *add* overscan (I have no idea why you would want this), but you will need to lose aspect ratio to set it. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Coin-ops Next 2 package comes with artwork. If you use bezels (in mame), then the overscan should cut into the artwork rather than the game play area.

Some TVs allow you to adjust the overscan settings.

phulshof

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 01:33:15 pm
    • Pieter's Webpage
Resizing screen in Coinops
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 12:12:26 pm »
Your width and height settings are probably set to "stretch" at the moment. You could set those to actual values so it doesn't use the overscan area.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:33:57 pm by phulshof »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 05:42:43 pm »
Your width and height settings are probably set to "stretch" at the moment. You could set those to actual values so it doesn't use the overscan area.

Good point.

Look for this setting in your coin-ops mame.ini file:

unevenstretch             1

Change the 1 to a 0

In general you want unevenstretch off (0). It comes default as on (1) probably because many users will get cranky if MAME doesn't fill as much of their monitor as possible.