Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Are more than 100 resolutions really required to run most popular games?  (Read 2958 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:26:13 am
Ive been a fan of hyperspin since the begining, and now that im old i wonder if (not sure whos in charge of hyperspin right now) if whoever is in charge, will it ever fix the remaining bugs? like the one where hyperspin wont start because i got more than 100 resolutions in windows.I would really love to use groovymame and crtemudrivers with its full pontential together with hyperspin, instead of forcing emudrivers to work with just 99 relsolutions. Wich leads me to the question, do i really need more than 100 resolutions to run most popular games, or is it ok to just run 99 resolutions_?
thanks for reading and i hope i read something positive?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 08:03:19 pm by abispac »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Are more thank 100 relotions really required to run most popular games?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 02:14:04 pm »
Hi abispac,

More than ten years ago I think I contacted some people involved with HS about this problem, but this never got fixed. It will never be.

To bypass the issue we invented magic resolutions. When magic resolutions stopped working on Windows 7, we implemented super resolutions. These allow you to use GM with just 10 modes or so. You don't need to use hundreds of modes, indeed.

Even if you want to use "native" modes (whatever that means) you can get away with a few dozens at most, thanks to dynamic mode tables.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:26:13 am
Re: Are more thank 100 relotions really required to run most popular games?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 10:04:10 am »
Hi abispac,

More than ten years ago I think I contacted some people involved with HS about this problem, but this never got fixed. It will never be.

To bypass the issue we invented magic resolutions. When magic resolutions stopped working on Windows 7, we implemented super resolutions. These allow you to use GM with just 10 modes or so. You don't need to use hundreds of modes, indeed.

Even if you want to use "native" modes (whatever that means) you can get away with a few dozens at most, thanks to dynamic mode tables.
Thank you.