Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dedicated SHUMPS Build  (Read 3275 times)

csnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
Dedicated SHUMPS Build
« on: October 30, 2021, 11:49:47 am »
I am going to build a dedicated 8-way vertical, CRT SHUMPS build.  First, let me preface that I am not a bullet hell guy.  I am 51 and the SHUMPS of my era are Gorf, Time Pilot, 1942, etc.  With that said, I have grandchildren who love to button mash and the more carnage on the screen the better.  Either way, I am going with a dedicated 8-way vertical CRT build.  I bought a cabaret Galaga/Ms Pacman at a steal that I thought would make a good platform but that would be single player only.  That is fine for me, but some of the later shootem ups were two player but to be honest I have never played any of them.  What would you guys recommend?  I can flip the Galaga reunion for a profit, but I happen to have a love for cabaret machines or I found an Aero Fighters cab local for a decent price that is a two joystick cab. 

What say you?  Do they make a dual controller CP for those Midway cabs?   That would be ideal.  Let me know our thoughts fellas.

Chris

Beretta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2021, 02:11:30 pm
Re: Dedicated SHUMPS Build
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 02:03:12 pm »
The only correct answer is to build this one and then buy/build another for the kids.

but ya that cab wont' make a good 2p setup.

You could rationalize it by making the 2nd cab horz which will open up a ton more games.. verticals could still be played although it's not nearly as nice as a proper vertical setup..
Anyone got change for a dollar?
PLEASE HELP NEED Fastmame .70 and .9* releases

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:14:16 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 02:24:06 pm »
For me, having to play all the one player shmups (and one player games of two player shmups) while standing off to the left of the screen is not worth the benefit of occasionally playing two player simultaneous.  I guess it depends on how often they'd play two player simultaneous.

I did a sliding control panel using T-slot tracks, but not sure how that would work on a classic cab.

Edit: you could add USB ports to give the option of playing 2 player with gamepads.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 02:27:53 pm by BadMouth »

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 06:42:40 pm »
You could rationalize it by making the 2nd cab horz which will open up a ton more games.

I have a horizontal cabinet as well.  This would just be 8 way vert which is mainly shumps but other 8 way verts like Commando would be included.  I try to stick with a handful of games per cabinet vs the one or two with a gazillion games.

For me, having to play all the one player shmups (and one player games of two player shmups) while standing off to the left of the screen is not worth the benefit of occasionally playing two player simultaneous.

That was my thought too - glad I am not alone.  I don't like being off center when I play.  I think I will just build it as a one player cab.

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 06:23:27 am »
Bullet hell games suck imo.  You have NO way of completing them unless you memorise everything.   At least the older ones (classic Toaplan I'm looking at you) you could still have a good run with dexterity/good reactions and actual skill alone.

I have the same idea, one day I'll do a dedicated 8-way vert shooter cab.  It'll def be single player though, joystick in the middle.  Do it properly, and choose a really good joystick and original leaf switch buttons.  I can recommend the Australian MCA joystick, best 8-way shmup stick I've ever used.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 12:26:25 pm »
Bullet hell games suck imo.  You have NO way of completing them unless you memorise everything.   At least the older ones (classic Toaplan I'm looking at you) you could still have a good run with dexterity/good reactions and actual skill alone.

I have the same idea, one day I'll do a dedicated 8-way vert shooter cab.  It'll def be single player though, joystick in the middle.  Do it properly, and choose a really good joystick and original leaf switch buttons.  I can recommend the Australian MCA joystick, best 8-way shmup stick I've ever used.

Agreed, I don't like the bullet hell games either but I do like the older 1942 type games.  I plan to use leaf buttons and Wico sticks.  I have never used the MCA stick.  You like it better than the WICO leafs?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:42:09 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 08:54:27 pm »
I have never used the MCA stick.  You like it better than the WICO leafs?

The MCA stick is a stalwart of most Australian arcade machines. It's strength is its simplicity with the stick built into a rubber boot. Uses normal "cherry" switches. Might not be the most responsive, but no bouncing and the dynamics are very predictable and reliable. Almost never wear out. If you grew up using them, like I did, you might not imagine another stick feeling better. That might not necessarily be true, but they are a pretty decent joystick.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 10:35:16 pm by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 12:04:12 pm »
I have never used the MCA stick.  You like it better than the WICO leafs?

The MCA stick is a stalwart of most Australian arcade machines. It's strength is its simplicity with the stick built into a rubber boot. Uses normal "cherry" switches. Might not be the most responsive, but no bouncing and the dynamics are very predictable and reliable. Almost never wear out. If you grew up using them, like I did, you might not imagine another stick feeling better. That might not necessarily be true, but they are a pretty decent joystick.

Yeah I grew up using them too.  Really thick rubber grommet means it will last ages, and it feels nicer than a spring-centering stick.  It has a short throw and is very consistent so great for shooters.  You should definitely try to find one and see if you like it before making a decision.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:42:09 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 06:28:04 pm »
Yeah I grew up using them too.  Really thick rubber grommet means it will last ages, and it feels nicer than a spring-centering stick.  It has a short throw and is very consistent so great for shooters.  You should definitely try to find one and see if you like it before making a decision.

On a couple of occasions where I've made custom cabs for mates, they have complained about the fancy new joysticks I gave them (Magsticks, Happ Competition), and I've had to replace them with 2nd-hand MCA stick = happy players :) 
Check out my completed projects!