Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Suggestions Welcomed  (Read 1835 times)

Magical1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2021, 06:13:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Suggestions Welcomed
« on: October 29, 2021, 06:57:27 pm »
I am not 100% sure where I should be posting this and hopefully if I have putt it in the wrong place someone will move It or tell me where it should be posted...

Right now I am planning on building a 2 player control panel with a raspberry pi, but I would also like it to be usable with my desktop computer.

• I assume I can run the USB ports on the arcade controller cards to a usb switch and then tell the switch whether the pi is in operation or not (using GPIO)?
  • I have ordered buttons with non addressable LEDs (5V) and I assume that I will nee to run these off a 5V Switching power supply or should I use the 5V outputs on the arcade controller cards?
  • I would also like to have a way to toggle these lights on/off, will I need to put the switch to this in-line with the mains voltage going into the power supply or on the other side, or is there another way of wiring this up that I am missing something obvious?

I will ultimately be using this on a wall mounted, height adjustable arcade console setup, this way it can be used by children/adults/my friend in his wheelchair, but also want to give him the option of using it over at his computer too ...

Thanks for you thoughts
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:14:57 am by Magical1 »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Suggestions Welcomed
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 09:27:52 pm »
  • A KVM switch would work.
  • You can tap into the USB 5V and GND to power a few buttons. I've done this with a ZeroDelay encoder and 10 LEDs.
  • Yep. Switch your GND(s).
%Bartop

Magical1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2021, 06:13:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Suggestions Welcomed
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 08:16:01 am »
Thank you,

and sorry for being a n00b  ;)

M