Main > Woodworking

Drilling button holes?

(1/8) > >>

slybunda:
Got some buttons that are 30mm wide and require 30mm hole size. Should i get a 30mm hole saw or a 29mm one?

PL1:
For 30mm buttons (Sanwa, Seimitsu, etc.) you'll want a 30mm Forstner bit or hole saw.

For standard 1-1/8" arcade buttons (Happ, etc.) you'll want a 1-1/8" (28.575mm) Forstner bit or hole saw.
- You might be able to get away with a 28mm bit/saw, but it will be a very snug fit.

Some LED buttons have a smaller threaded body diameter and a shoulder just under the bezel.
- This type of button comes with the ring you see at the bottom center of this pic. (click on pic for full-size view)
- If you install the ring above the control panel, the button body will fit into a smalller hole. (24mm IIRC)
- If you install the button without the ring in a 1-1/8" hole, the shoulder will keep the button from shifting too far to the side and exposing the hole in the control panel.

Scott

slybunda:
Thanks will try and source a kit. None iv seen come with a 30mm hole saw, but there are kits with 29mm. Is that gonna be ok?

PL1:

--- Quote from: slybunda on October 27, 2021, 09:23:16 am ---None iv seen come with a 30mm hole saw, but there are kits with 29mm. Is that gonna be ok?

--- End quote ---
Probably not.

That "29mm" hole saw is probably a 1-1/8" (28.575mm) which is more than a mm too small for your 30mm buttons.

Get the right tool.

--- Quote from: slybunda on October 27, 2021, 09:23:16 am ---Thanks will try and source a kit.

--- End quote ---
You might get better results buying individual bits/hole saws.

The Freud FB-008 (1-1/8" Forstner bit) works great and is very reasonably priced.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RK4U/?th=1

There are some inexpensive 30mm Forstner bits on Amazon, but the one I bought years ago is no longer available.   :(
- Alternately, you could use a 1-3/16" (30.1625mm) bit.

The reason I keep steering you toward Forstner bits is that even the inexpensive ones are usually more accurate size-wise than inexpensive hole saws like the cheap but not-so-great ones from Harbor Freight.

--- Quote from: PL1 on February 21, 2013, 12:14:26 am ---I'm very happy with the results from the FB-008, but considering that I previously used a Harbor Freight holesaw that is slightly smaller than advertised :angry: -- no big surprise.

--- End quote ---

If you aren't comfortable drilling free-hand with forstner bits, you may want to use a drill press or a drill guide like this.

Scott

Mike A:
A hole saw works just fine for button holes.

Just buy the 2 or 3 sizes you need.

Forstner bits will also do the job just fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version