Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: request help setting up samco lightgun to work with retroarch please  (Read 5493 times)

Dam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:32:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
thanks for reading,

im trying to setup latest retroarch to work with mouse bindings( loosely following this guide
Code: [Select]
https://sindenlightgun.miraheze.org/wiki/Retroarch)

when trying with beetle-saturn, i can get mouse/crosshair to move, but the bindings for "start game" wont work. ive tried remapping the binds to a kb key, but they seem to be ignored ingame.

when i try in duckstation-psx, i get crosshair/mouse movements, but fire/jump/reload are using kb keys only

many thanks in advance,
Dam0

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: request help setting up samco lightgun to work with retroarch please
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 06:48:57 am »
RA’s lightgun support is ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.
Use standalone emu’s instead.

Dam0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 06:51:27 am »
ok, thanks. ill try mednaffen first

D

ThatOneSeong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:30:26 pm
  • Just your average Seong.
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 08:01:46 am »
Well that's a bit melodramatic, no?
thanks for reading,

im trying to setup latest retroarch to work with mouse bindings( loosely following this guide

when trying with beetle-saturn, i can get mouse/crosshair to move, but the bindings for "start game" wont work. ive tried remapping the binds to a kb key, but they seem to be ignored ingame.

when i try in duckstation-psx, i get crosshair/mouse movements, but fire/jump/reload are using kb keys only

many thanks in advance,
Dam0
While I don't have a gun working myself yet, I at least know RetroArch well enough to understand how it works. So, we should try and go through the process step-by-step.

Go to your options menu/category, then Drivers. Inside this submenu, check the "Input" selection - it might be on dinput by default, so try changing it to raw.
Save the configuration (Main -> Configuration File -> Save Current Configuration) and exit, since we need to power cycle RetroArch to enact the new input driver.

Next, go back to the options menu, then Input -> Port 1 Controls. Unless you're also using a gamepad, the only settings you'll want to concern yourself with are the Gun Controls.
Try mapping the main functions - Trigger, Aux, Etc. - with the gun controller.
If that doesn't work, you'll want to change the Mouse Index setting at the top end of this menu; it might be set to your actual mouse, so set it to the other device corresponding to the Samco, which may be Index #1 or #0.
Remember to save this configuration in the same menu (Save Controller Profile), then just to be safe, power cycle RetroArch again by exiting and re-opening it.

Now, load your game as usual. But before doing anything, check your core settings.
To do that, open up the in-game Quick Menu (F1 on Keyboard by default), and go to the Controls subsection, which should be towards the bottom along with Cheats, Disc Control, etc..

Then, go to Port 1 Controls - here, the only thing we want to concern ourselves with is the Device Type; on DuckStation, this will be defaulted to the Digital or Analog Controller. Change it to Namco Guncon.
On Dreamcast with the Flycast core, it's a similar principle - change default device Controller to Light Gun.
Either way, once selected, all the controller mapping options aside from the topmost three on this screen should disappear entirely when set to a gun mode, which is normal.
Go back one screen to the Port Selection submenu, still within Quick Menu -> Controls, and save either the Core Remap File to apply to the core as a whole, or Game Remap File to only apply to this game; otherwise, none of these changes will stick when you exit.

For now (until the core updates to rectify this), note that DuckStation only works for Guncom compatible games - those that only work with the Konami Justifier aren't supported and will instead need Beetle-PSX. The process is wholly the same, but you'll want per-game configs depending on GCon or Justifier compatibility.
For non-Naomi-based arcade games, I only recommend trying this with MAME 2003-Plus as it's the only one anywhere near half-decently integrated with RA. This is one situation where MAME works better if your hardware is capable, so I recommend that (but obviously the steps are much different).

If, at any point in this process, you're still stuck somewhere, feel free to report back. That's how the process should ideally go for RetroArch, so if it's a bust, it might be your gun.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 08:05:52 am »
Well that's a bit melodramatic, no?
thanks for reading,

many thanks in advance,
Dam0
While I don't have a gun working myself yet, I at least know RetroArch well enough to understand how it works. So, we should try and go through the process step-by-step.

Go to your options menu/category, then Drivers. Inside this submenu, check the "Input" selection - it might be on dinput by default, so try changing it to raw.
Save the configuration (Main -> Configuration File -> Save Current Configuration) and exit, since we need to power cycle RetroArch to enact the new input driver.

Next, go back to the options menu, then Input -> Port 1 Controls. Unless you're also using a gamepad, the only settings you'll want to concern yourself with are the Gun Controls.
Try mapping the main functions - Trigger, Aux, Etc. - with the gun controller.
If that doesn't work, you'll want to change the Mouse Index setting at the top end of this menu; it might be set to your actual mouse, so set it to the other device corresponding to the Samco, which may be Index #1 or #0.
Remember to save this configuration in the same menu (Save Controller Profile), then just to be safe, power cycle RetroArch again by exiting and re-opening it.

Now, load your game as usual. But before doing anything, check your core settings.
To do that, open up the in-game Quick Menu (F1 on Keyboard by default), and go to the Controls subsection, which should be towards the bottom along with Cheats, Disc Control, etc..

Then, go to Port 1 Controls - here, the only thing we want to concern ourselves with is the Device Type; on DuckStation, this will be defaulted to the Digital or Analog Controller. Change it to Namco Guncon.
On Dreamcast with the Flycast core, it's a similar principle - change default device Controller to Light Gun.
Either way, once selected, all the controller mapping options aside from the topmost three on this screen should disappear entirely when set to a gun mode, which is normal.
Go back one screen to the Port Selection submenu, still within Quick Menu -> Controls, and save either the Core Remap File to apply to the core as a whole, or Game Remap File to only apply to this game; otherwise, none of these changes will stick when you exit.

For now (until the core updates to rectify this), note that DuckStation only works for Guncom compatible games - those that only work with the Konami Justifier aren't supported and will instead need Beetle-PSX. The process is wholly the same, but you'll want per-game configs depending on GCon or Justifier compatibility.
For non-Naomi-based arcade games, I only recommend trying this with MAME 2003-Plus as it's the only one anywhere near half-decently integrated with RA. This is one situation where MAME works better if your hardware is capable, so I recommend that (but obviously the steps are much different).

If, at any point in this process, you're still stuck somewhere, feel free to report back. That's how the process should ideally go for RetroArch, so if it's a bust, it might be your gun.
Not really, Its pretty well documented.

ThatOneSeong

• Offline Offline
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 09:26:17 am »
Not really, Its pretty well documented.
As a long-time RetroArch user, I'm very interested in seeing where this is documented. Because I personally haven't seen any such things myself.Genuinely curious.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 09:40:18 am »
On the top of a hill right now but in short:

1) The USB IDs change when you plug anything in/restart

2) un-intuitive and over complex button binding.

3) General lack of support for lightguns.

I see so many people having issues with it on a daily basis you would not believe.

I can get the standalone version of duckstation up n running in under 5 mins from scratch with no issues.

Its actually one of the easiest emus to get going but does not support un patched justifier or 2 player atm.

ThatOneSeong

• Offline Offline
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 10:49:35 am »
On the top of a hill right now but in short:

1) The USB IDs change when you plug anything in/restart

2) un-intuitive and over complex button binding.

3) General lack of support for lightguns.

I see so many people having issues with it on a daily basis you would not believe.

I can get the standalone version of duckstation up n running in under 5 mins from scratch with no issues.

Its actually one of the easiest emus to get going but does not support un patched justifier or 2 player atm.
Without being able to confirm or deny the first or third points (I'm still waiting on parts), it sounds a lot like the same general complaints I keep hearing from people who haven't adjusted to Retroarch in the same way I have.In spite of the learning curve, I've seldom had issues with RA. If anything, I'd be hardpressed to go back to standalone emus; so many different interfaces with different implementations of similar settings that can be just as unintuitive. Some programs work better on their own merits than others - but with anything that isn't Dolphin or RPCS3, it's libretro or nothing for me.Side Note: The day the PCSX2 core is finished with embedded Lightgun support for all platforms and not just a now-aging Windows-only build, I'll be happy.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
request help setting up samco lightgun to work with retroarch please
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 10:51:56 am »
For game pad console gaming RA is fine.
(Still prefer standalone personally) but for  lightgun games you are opening yourself up to a whole world of hurt!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 05:36:13 pm by Titchgamer »

Dam0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 09:47:20 pm »
as for RA, i had actually already followed your steps for setup, but cant get the start button to activate.

last night, i tried the mednafen.exe emulator, and first up got success with controls working at least with Sega Saturn .  i used
mednafen.exe -ss.input.port1 gun "link to rom file"
[edit]

mednafen.exe -psx.stretch aspect_mult2 -psx.input.port1 guncon "path to rom"

seems to work as expected for psx

[/edit]

D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 11:02:25 pm by Dam0 »