Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Welcome to the Raspberry Pi 4 LOVE Fest ;)  (Read 15411 times)

Vocalitus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Welcome to the Raspberry Pi 4 LOVE Fest ;)
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2021, 07:01:32 pm »
You need to learn some of those communication skills your parents and teachers might have mentioned when you were younger.  Ask and you might be enlightened.

Tone down the snark please. Rule #1.

--- saint

I made those comments in a humorous way, you also deleted my apology.

Then another member used foul language in an extremely hostile way, but I do not see any notices for him, and this is a repeat offender might say.  This one looks one sided to me Saint.
I would not comment on this, if it was not being so serious.  What is good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

Vocalitus,

I wouldn't want to disrespect you, but why are you trying so desperately to convince the people around you that RetroPie is the answer to all needs? It is not, as no solution is.

What's wrong with someone creating their own solution that perfectly meets their needs, when they find that no solution already available is suitable?

It seems to me that in a given market, there are products for all tastes and types of needs ... right? If all vehicle manufacturers had confined themselves to saying that there was already the sedan automobile that meets the travel needs of people, trucks, SUVs, tractors and motorcycles, to name a few. , would never have seen the light of day on the market ...

You should let people express themselves freely without intimidating them and making them feel guilty just because they dare to explore other solutions than the one you cherish.

This forum is full of really great people, but I see that there are unfortunately some actors (they are not many) who try to make their law reign, THEIR way of seeing things by crushing others by different bullying tactics.

Unless I'm mistaken, we're on a discussion board that's open to everyone and deals with how people who enjoyed the arcade era and have an interest or desire to do them relive, in their own way, according to their personality, their tastes and their interests.

No hard feelings

Nobody is disrespecting anyone here.  Nowhere in the rules do I see where we have to bow and scrape to get our point across, especially when the person asking the questions ignores advice after admitting that they know little of the subject.

You are creating an IOT appliance that has already been done.  Countless development hours have gone into this appliance (called RetroPie) that is enjoyed by thousands of people.  You are making a fork of that.  Great.

You could also be assisting others to fix problems with the current technology or adapt it to service your needs.  I mentioned the lack of PI4s in the marketplace, also that you are getting problems with ROMS, but those problems are already documented.

This is all work in progress, and as I am a software engineer for a large software company, we do not waste time recreating the wheel.  It hurts everyone associated with the project.

That way users are supported, with proven results.  I have noticed that users have no patience in the process.

There is another thread regarding this project here so why are we discussing this in thread?  Exposure?  You have posted this project to nearly every Raspberry Pi site already with a healthy response.  I couldn't care less what you do, just don't waste your time coming up with a solution, when there is one already available that might need tweaking or a new theme to be created.

Good luck and if you need help with anything, just ask.

Translation:

Personne ne manque de respect à personne ici. Nulle part dans les règles je ne vois où nous devons nous incliner et gratter pour faire passer notre message, surtout lorsque la personne qui pose les questions ignore les conseils après avoir admis qu'elle en sait peu sur le sujet.

Vous créez une appliance IOT qui a déjà été réalisée. D'innombrables heures de développement ont été consacrées à cet appareil (appelé RetroPie) qui est apprécié par mes milliers de personnes. Vous en faites une fourchette. Super.

Vous pourriez également aider d'autres personnes à résoudre des problèmes avec la technologie actuelle ou à l'adapter pour répondre à vos besoins. J'ai mentionné le manque de PI4 sur le marché, ainsi que le fait que vous rencontrez des problèmes avec les ROMS, mais ces problèmes sont déjà documentés.

Tout cela est en cours, et comme je suis ingénieur logiciel pour une grande société de logiciels, nous ne perdons pas de temps à recréer la roue. Cela fait mal à tous ceux qui sont associés au projet.

De cette façon, les utilisateurs sont pris en charge, avec des résultats prouvés. J'ai remarqué que les utilisateurs n'ont aucune patience dans le processus.

Il y a un autre fil concernant ce projet ici, alors pourquoi en discutons-nous dans le fil ? Exposition? Vous avez déjà publié ce projet sur presque tous les sites Raspberry Pi avec une réponse saine. Peu m'importe ce que vous faites, ne perdez pas votre temps à trouver une solution, alors qu'il y en a une déjà disponible qui pourrait avoir besoin d'être peaufinée ou qu'un nouveau thème doit être créé.

Bonne chance et si vous avez besoin d'aide pour quoi que ce soit, n'hésitez pas à demande.

You would be surprised how much French there is in English

bbegin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:23:14 pm
  • Arcade games enthusiast, bartop arcade project WIP
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2021, 10:33:50 pm »
Nobody is disrespecting anyone here.  Nowhere in the rules do I see where we have to bow and scrape to get our point across, especially when the person asking the questions ignores advice after admitting that they know little of the subject.

You are creating an IOT appliance that has already been done.  Countless development hours have gone into this appliance (called RetroPie) that is enjoyed by thousands of people.  You are making a fork of that.  Great.

You could also be assisting others to fix problems with the current technology or adapt it to service your needs.  I mentioned the lack of PI4s in the marketplace, also that you are getting problems with ROMS, but those problems are already documented.

This is all work in progress, and as I am a software engineer for a large software company, we do not waste time recreating the wheel.  It hurts everyone associated with the project.

That way users are supported, with proven results.  I have noticed that users have no patience in the process.

There is another thread regarding this project here so why are we discussing this in thread?  Exposure?  You have posted this project to nearly every Raspberry Pi site already with a healthy response.  I couldn't care less what you do, just don't waste your time coming up with a solution, when there is one already available that might need tweaking or a new theme to be created.

I totally disagree with you that I reinvented something that has already being done. If it was the case, I wouldn't done it in the first place. I created this solution because RetroPie (and other similar distros, who have "recreated the wheel", as you would say) is not, on my opinion a solution for an arcade-only cabinet. The interface is not adapted to arcade-only, the joystick layer is using an extra mapping layer concept (virtual joystick) that is applicable to home consoles, the emulation is based on old versions of MAME, to name just a few. And no, it's not a "fork" of RetroPie. I started this from scratch. I have the weird feeling that I have to justify myself about my opinions...

I am aware of the other thread, I created it. For your information, this one have been created by another user. A user that you appear to intimidate or feel guilty, by the way. You seems annoyed by something, I don't know exactly what... You say that "I have posted this project to nearly every Raspberry Pi site already [...]". You are wrong. Other than this forum, I have simply posted a message on the official forum of Raspberry Pi, under the Gaming sub-section. Again, I feel I need to justify myself to you.... You are just another user of this forum, I personnaly think you should treat others with more respect.

Anyway, sans rancune..
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:35:59 pm by bbegin »
Personal project:
How to make a dedicated MAME Appliance on a Raspberry Pi 4/Pi 400
https://gist.github.com/sonicprod/f5a7bb10fb9ed1cc5124766831e120c4

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2021, 11:44:19 pm »

I totally disagree with you that I reinvented something that has already being done. If it was the case, I wouldn't done it in the first place. I created this solution because RetroPie (and other similar distros, who have "recreated the wheel", as you would say) is not, on my opinion a solution for an arcade-only cabinet. The interface is not adapted to arcade-only, the joystick layer is using an extra mapping layer concept (virtual joystick) that is applicable to home consoles, the emulation is based on old versions of MAME, to name just a few. And no, it's not a "fork" of RetroPie. I started this from scratch. I have the weird feeling that I have to justify myself about my opinions...

I am aware of the other thread, I created it. For your information, this one have been created by another user. A user that you appear to intimidate or feel guilty, by the way. You seems annoyed by something, I don't know exactly what... You say that "I have posted this project to nearly every Raspberry Pi site already [...]". You are wrong. Other than this forum, I have simply posted a message on the official forum of Raspberry Pi, under the Gaming sub-section. Again, I feel I need to justify myself to you.... You are just another user of this forum, I personally think you should treat others with more respect.

Anyway, sans rancune..

I supervise coders in my job, and they don't like explaining themselves.  I can relate to your response.  :)
I disagree with your summary, nearly everyone uses RetroPie or a similar distribution for their cabinets.  I like launchbox.
I am so very sorry to have an opinion.  No hard feelings.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.  :)

slybunda

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 04:16:18 am
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2021, 04:25:04 am »
Can pi4 run games like killer instinct and ninja baseball batman etc?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2021, 09:00:59 am »
Nowhere in the rules do I see where we have to bow and scrape to get our point across, especially when the person asking the questions ignores advice after admitting that they know little of the subject.

Dude please just stop.  You refuse to understand what this project is about because in your mind Retropie (or Batocera maybe) is the only solution to playing video games with a Raspberry Pi and that is simply not the case.  You aren't giving any "advice" - you are just saying "this is dumb and Retropie is better", which is fine if that's what you think, but it is not helpful.  What would have been helpful is some suggestions on how to improve this specific project.

I was hoping people would want to talk about another potential solution for putting classic games into an arcade cabinet that I was excited about and based on some of the other responses in here people want to try this out.  A few people even commented on my dopey video asking how to get this up and running so I think there is interest.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2021, 09:03:34 am »
Can pi4 run games like killer instinct and ninja baseball batman etc?

Not sure about either (haven't tried them) but I'd be shocked if Ninja Baseball Batman did not work properly.  If I get a few minutes today I'll try them out and report back.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:50:01 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2021, 09:05:59 am »
I like what you’re doing.  Some day my ancient PC is going to die and I won’t remember how to set it back up.  I’ve already had to clone the failing hard drive onto a compact flash card.  (All 80MB of it…).

:cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2021, 09:06:59 am »
Anyone have any idea why it would have trouble with Astro Blaster?  Is it the synthesized speech?  The game is from 1981 so I was surprised it was struggling so hard to run.
From the Astro Blaster history.dat entry:
Sega G80 Raster hardware

Main CPU : Z80 (@ 3.867 Mhz), I8035 (@ 208 Khz)
Sound Chips : Discrete circuitry, SP0250 (@ 3.12 Mhz)
I agree with bbegin that it's probably not the synthesized speech.

The far more likely culprit is the analog audio "discrete circuitry".

Digital audio circuits like the SP0250 Orator speech synthesis chip take far less processing power to emulate/simulate than analog audio circuits.

The analog sound simulations in newer versions of MAME have very high system requirements compared to the sound sample system used in older versions of MAME.

If Astro Blaster is a must-have game, you may want to consider running it on a version of MAME between v0.143 and v0.223.

From the Astro Blaster info.dat entry:
- 0.224: Added netlist-based sound to Astro Blaster [Aaron Giles]. Added 'Astro Blaster Sound Board' and 'Netlist Sound Device'. Removed Samples.
. . .
- 0.142u1: Added 'Sega Speech Sound Board'.

Scott

This is super interesting information.  Really cool how the MAME devs go back to old games to try and improve them even if they are mostly running properly.   I am running 0.219 (I think) in my most recent cabinet and have been playing Astro Blaster for the first time and really enjoying it but on this project it is just a "nice to have" not a "must have".

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2021, 09:11:57 am »
I like what you’re doing.  Some day my ancient PC is going to die and I won’t remember how to set it back up.  I’ve already had to clone the failing hard drive onto a compact flash card.  (All 80MB of it…).

Thanks pbj - I know exactly what you mean.  The PC in my first ever cabinet build is like 20 years old and over the summer I had to do a fair bit of maintenance on it because it wasn't booting properly.  It's gonna die again soon and I might just replace it with this setup.  It only has about 100 games to run on a vertical monitor and this is an extremely easy solution.   Plus, every time I set up a cab it's like I'm learning everything for the first time... :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:47:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2021, 09:38:50 am »
You guys are doing God's work here.

Don't let Ark discourage you.

Everyone else appreciates the effort.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2021, 09:48:34 am »
My Konami 4 player cab gets a lot of play.

I have I think 4 original PCBs for it.

I would like some other games like X Men, and TMNT.

I don't want to pay 400+ bucks each for the PCBs.

It breaks my heart, but a Pi solution for some of those games is a reality I am going to have to face eventually.

I just don't have the money for some of those PCBs.

Keep working. I will need you guys sometime soon.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2021, 09:54:36 am »
I still want to know how well the Pi4 does with regard to input lag with any of these.  I'll admit, I haven't touched a Pi since 2B.

Pretty and convenient is nice, and more front end options are always good, but how do they play?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2021, 09:59:47 am »
Pretty and convenient is nice, and more front end options are always good, but how do they play?

yes.

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2021, 12:06:54 pm »
I still want to know how well the Pi4 does with regard to input lag with any of these.  I'll admit, I haven't touched a Pi since 2B.

If I had a mean to measure the input lag on the image I propose, I would already had done these measurements.

For what I can say, the system is reduced to the strict minimum: no X11 system, and no "virtual gamepad" layer (as in RetroPie). The bare-minimum is installed on the image. So I personnally think it may positively impact the input lag (reduce it to some extent).

I think the best is to try it out and see for yourself.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:27:55 pm by bbegin »
Personal project:

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2021, 02:46:11 pm »
Pi's have come a long ways and are much more energy efficient.

But I never understood beyond space and power restrictions why someone wouldn't just use a PC when you can dig them out of the trash that will do the job.

Can the pi4 handle Killer Instinct & Narc? Those are 2 of the more demanding games 2d I've found in mame.

Every time someone starts a thread on the Raspberry Pi someone makes this point.

Yes, if you happen to have a reasonably capable second-hand PC lying around, then you might as well use it and see how you get on. But I think it’s a little unfair to compare a new item with a second-hand item that you might hypothetically pick up for free.

Also, one of the main reasons to use a Pi is that you avoid having to deal with all of the unknown variables that come with using an old PC. I find old PCs are generally fine until you’re forced to upgrade the hardware or software.

For example, I had to retire one of my old PCs because the graphics card blew up. If it had been a new PC I could have simply replaced the card. But it turned out that the PC used an AGP slot which was considered obsolete, and the handful of vendors still selling AGP cards were charging ridiculous prices for them. The second-hand prices on Ebay were just as crazy. So it was basically uneconomical to repair.

Software can be just as problematic. Most PCs are tied to whatever version of Windows was around when they were manufactured. That’s fine until you need to use some software that requires a newer version of Windows. You then find yourself in a whole world of pain when you try to upgrade Windows and have issues with driver support and poor performance. Microsoft is pretty lousy at supporting old hardware.

Contrast that with a Pi where you basically just need to buy a Pi, put a pre-build image on an SD card, and you’re ready to go. And if the Pi breaks, then you just need to buy a new one of the same generation, and you can be up and running again in a few minutes.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:50:01 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2021, 05:08:38 pm »
So, you do realize that every problem you just described with 20 year old PCs are exactly the same as we will be facing with Pi inevitably, right?  Given the cheap price point, you can easily buy a few spares and toss them in a drawer…. But the problem of scarcity will eventually be the same.

Buy some spares.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2021, 06:59:03 pm »
The scarcity potential for Raspberry Pi is not quite the same as technology that became obsolete long ago like the AGP cards mentioned.  I agree though, stock up on a few parts especially if they are cheap.  Pi tech will continue to develop, users like us are just a tiny niche in the customer base. It's largely a self contained platform.  What do you need? PS, Board, SD Card and maybe a heat-sink.  The real challenges will probably be in porting over any solutions to next Gen Pi 5.  So, you brilliant D.i.Y devs hopefully have a view toward the future.

It's really common for new ideas to cop a lot of nay-say.  It's fine, anything new has to withstand scrutiny (no matter what the motivation).  Despite what has been claimed, new ideas ARE being explored with this effort.

Another nice feature of Pi builds is that they can be easily configured externally to the Pi, i.e. put them in a card reader and edit files and settings.  SD cards are so cheap they put em in cereal boxes.  Ok not really, yet.  :laugh:

I'm going to open a tiny can of worms  >:D One of the key differences for me is the newer MAME build being used here. Yeah I know some people 'love' that old crusty MAME in RetroPie and can't see any difference worth a damn.  That got me thinking.  In terms of improvements, emulation quality, play-ability etc. just how much improvement has there been since the much earlier MAME release in featured in RetroPie?  None?  Some?  Plenty? Examples? I'm excluding all the new work done on non-arcade emulation of course.  In particular the classic games we are focusing on in this build.  I know there have been improvements, I do read the release notes, but a higher level view would be useful.

This is more a question for someone like Haze or other MAME devs, more than just an educated guess in other words...

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2021, 07:00:45 pm »
So, you do realize that every problem you just described with 20 year old PCs are exactly the same as we will be facing with Pi inevitably, right?  Given the cheap price point, you can easily buy a few spares and toss them in a drawer…. But the problem of scarcity will eventually be the same.

Buy some spares.

The Pi has an advantage being a standardized platform. If your 20 year old PC craps out it's going to take quite a bit of time to setup a new one. If your Pi dies, you just pick up a new one of the same type and use the same image you used on the last one. This also allows you to let someone else do all the setup work and just use their image.

It's pretty obvious reading through the build threads on this site that not everyone is into the software side of things.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2021, 08:09:13 pm »
Glad I decided to drop by when I did. Very cool stuff.  :cheers:

A ways back, I got tired of constantly fixing monitors and troubleshooting boards to keep my cabs running. Also got tired of building (and rebuilding) PCs to to use in place of those boards I was tired of fixing. ArcadeSD appeared on the scene and looked to be a clean solution, but was too pricey for my liking. This looks to be the solution I wanted.

Kinda baffled by the controversy - not baffled by the technical aspects, just baffled by the vitriol. WTF would you object to something that so clearly has merit, even if it’s not for you.  :dunno

Ironically, I’m in process on a RetroPie configuration for a living room system so I can sit on the couch and play. It’s great for that, but it certainly isn’t a solution that works for me for cabinets. But then, I got rid of my one - well, two —“cabinet to play them all” long ago in favour of a curated selection of dedicated and limited multi-game cabinets (MultiWilliams, Multi-Exidy, MultiPac, MultiJAMMA a la Clay, 60-in-1).

This looks like a perfect solution to replace my 60-in-1 with a cleaner front-end and better game selection (BluePrint!)I never did get around to rebuilding the PC I was planning to use for the same project. Now, I’m now seriously considering this as a basis for going forward. After that, turn my existing VS dedicated into a VS multi. And a good solution should my MultiWilliams and MultiPac setups fail.

I like it and will follow with keen interest.

:applaud:  :applaud: :applaud:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2021, 08:35:40 pm »
Nowhere in the rules do I see where we have to bow and scrape to get our point across, especially when the person asking the questions ignores advice after admitting that they know little of the subject.

Dude please just stop.  You refuse to understand what this project is about because in your mind Retropie (or Batocera maybe) is the only solution to playing video games with a Raspberry Pi and that is simply not the case.  You aren't giving any "advice" - you are just saying "this is dumb and Retropie is better", which is fine if that's what you think, but it is not helpful.  What would have been helpful is some suggestions on how to improve this specific project.

I was hoping people would want to talk about another potential solution for putting classic games into an arcade cabinet that I was excited about and based on some of the other responses in here people want to try this out.  A few people even commented on my dopey video asking how to get this up and running so I think there is interest.

This is a forum where people meet to discuss what ever the topic is.  Regardless if you get any benefit out of it.  You have been doing it for years, but when someone rains on your "project's" parade you lose it.  Why?

You see when you are working on a project, people will come up to you with a better idea for it. Or advise not to proceed as there is problems with it.  Mostly software creation is greeted with fanfare and expectation. 

Well it is bbegin's project and you are riding on his coattails.  Nice to be a participant but not cool to take ownership of it.  That is belongs to the developer and not the groupie, but I applaud you for your loyalty to the project.

So I did some research of my own, and this rom issue is not the only problem the dev is facing, and that is typical of any software development. 

You get bugs.  You have users that look for bugs and hopefully you quash them only to find you broke something else.

This is a niche solution and will go into obscurity when someone decides to create a Retropie theme that mirrors bbegin's project and everyone will jump to that, as it plays everything nearly under the sun when it comes to retro.

Until then it will be work in progress, and as I have replied above, best of luck to bbegin.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2021, 08:47:19 pm »

The way that you behave on this forum, I would say that you are Ark.

You fit his passive nut job profile. 

You really need to get some professional help.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2021, 08:57:29 pm »
Words escape me.   ::)

If only.

No kidding. I’ve been back for a minute and I get those “Let me tell you why I hate what you’re doing, whilst I don’t do anything at all” vibes.  ::)

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2021, 09:10:29 pm »

Thanks pbj - I know exactly what you mean.  The PC in my first ever cabinet build is like 20 years old and over the summer I had to do a fair bit of maintenance on it because it wasn't booting properly.  It's gonna die again soon and I might just replace it with this setup.  It only has about 100 games to run on a vertical monitor and this is an extremely easy solution.   Plus, every time I set up a cab it's like I'm learning everything for the first time... :cheers:

This all reminds me of Arcade OS.

It looks very similar to bbegin's project, and you can add Daphne support super easy.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2021, 09:47:56 pm »
This thread was created to promote awareness of an excellent initiative by bbegin.  His original thread on the Raspberry Pi & Dev Board may not be seen by a broader audience.  This thread clearly has bbegin's blessing:

Thanks for the post on the main forum, I appreciate! :)

Voacalitus, you have stated your view several times over now.  Free speech is a given but thread bombing and subtle derailment is not.  You have some useful knowledge of tweaks and variations to other Pi based solutions. I suggest you start your own thread promoting those.  Or if you have anything useful to add instead of just negativity about this initiative, chime in.

If was I influenced by the kinds of comments you make I'd never try to innovate or try variations of existing ideas and wouldn't be a contributor here of much value.  I challenge you to post just ONE project, document it and invite discussion.  That's what we do here.  I'm literally typing this from my workbench as I experiment, fail, make adjustments and carry on.

Give it a rest, take the challenge, but please stop the unhelpful comments.

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2021, 11:44:20 pm »
This guy obviously seems to make it personal, literally. This completely baseless level of hatred and negativity is hardly believable. It's not like it bothers me.

Thank you all for your kind words about this project, you gave me the support and appreciation for me to continue my work of refining and perfecting this image over the time. :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 11:46:57 pm by bbegin »
Personal project:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2021, 01:42:02 am »

If only.

No kidding. I’ve been back for a minute and I get those “Let me tell you why I hate what you’re doing, whilst I don’t do anything at all” vibes.  ::)
Ark gotta Ark.

And there’s no way MikeA is Ark. For one, when Mike goes to ZapCon, he actually TALKS to fellow BYOACers….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2021, 02:14:19 am »

If only.

Ark gotta Ark.

And there’s no way MikeA is Ark. For one, when Mike goes to ZapCon, he actually TALKS to fellow BYOACers….

Good for him.  People say really bad things from a distance yet they are all polite and nice in person.
That says a lot about him.  It also says a lot about you, and I know you, we have met twice at Zapcon.  You were not so nice then.
Remember me now?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2021, 02:16:10 am »

If only.

Ark gotta Ark.

Good for him.  People say really bad things from a distance yet they are all polite and nice in person.
That says a lot about him.  It also says a lot about you, and I know you, we have met twice at Zapcon.  You were not so nice then.
Remember me now?

---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. I’ve never been “not nice” to anyone at ZapCon.

Mods, need more evidence?

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2021, 02:20:04 am »
This thread was created to promote awareness of an excellent initiative by bbegin.  His original thread on the Raspberry Pi & Dev Board may not be seen by a broader audience.  This thread clearly has bbegin's blessing:

Thanks for the post on the main forum, I appreciate! :)

Voacalitus, you have stated your view several times over now.  Free speech is a given but thread bombing and subtle derailment is not.  You have some useful knowledge of tweaks and variations to other Pi based solutions. I suggest you start your own thread promoting those.  Or if you have anything useful to add instead of just negativity about this initiative, chime in.

If was I influenced by the kinds of comments you make I'd never try to innovate or try variations of existing ideas and wouldn't be a contributor here of much value.  I challenge you to post just ONE project, document it and invite discussion.  That's what we do here.  I'm literally typing this from my workbench as I experiment, fail, make adjustments and carry on.

Give it a rest, take the challenge, but please stop the unhelpful comments.

Yes Sir!  :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2021, 02:38:00 am »
Yeah. That Zapcon comment. Definitely Ark.
Can the mods please toss that sack of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---
out?

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2021, 02:59:24 am »

If only.

Ark gotta Ark.

Remember me now?

---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. I’ve never been “not nice” to anyone at ZapCon.

I even had a lady friend with me and at the time we had to leave because you upset her too with your comments towards me.
You really are a piece of work.  The highlight was chatting with Delusional as he was really nice and pleasant, as was the fellow BYOACers.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2021, 03:03:29 am »
Yeah. That Zapcon comment. Definitely Ark.
Can the mods please toss that sack of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---
out?

Rule Number 1 as Saint said Mike.  You have to follow Saint's rules, as does the rest of you do.  ::)

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2021, 03:27:45 am »
I'm going to open a tiny can of worms  >:D One of the key differences for me is the newer MAME build being used here. Yeah I know some people 'love' that old crusty MAME in RetroPie and can't see any difference worth a damn.  That got me thinking.  In terms of improvements, emulation quality, play-ability etc. just how much improvement has there been since the much earlier MAME release in featured in RetroPie?  None?  Some?  Plenty? Examples? I'm excluding all the new work done on non-arcade emulation of course.  In particular the classic games we are focusing on in this build.  I know there have been improvements, I do read the release notes, but a higher level view would be useful.

This is more a question for someone like Haze or other MAME devs, more than just an educated guess in other words...

The Mamedevs have their own work to do, and to be honest about previous releases, we do not really want to know about old versions of MAME.  I'm sure David would like to talk to you at length on why they don't.

The question about improvements is based more with plug and play than arcade accuracy.  Kids today just want to download a torrent, write it a MicroSD card and just game.  I would say there is already too much confusion over different mame sets, and I think there is a sticky on this very issue.  Nobody likes to tinker, thus bbegin's project.  He wants a simplified version.  Retropie is not just for arcade, but for old computers and gaming consoles.  I play more Demon Attack than MsPacman.  The work is evolving with regards to RetroPie, as it is very much in demand.  Things that are free are like that.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:50:40 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2021, 05:42:28 am »
The very first paragraph of this thread states specifically NO RETROPIE and that the intent of this Pi image and build setup is for an arcade only machine and yet we still get someone devoid of manners perseverating on unproductive commentary entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Now if it were ME living under a bridge eating unsuspecting passersby I would push the broken record player aside and make room for a table where I could develop my OWN plan for creating something that has nothing to do with this thread- and so start my own!

And then probably get mad when some disrespectful trogolodyte keeps posting disparaging remarks about anyone who has another idea or opinion.

Or... I could just take some crazy pills and buy into it all.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2021, 06:07:17 am »
Bobby.

He is a former member who was kicked out of here before.

He slithered his way back in here under a different name.

Hopefully the mods sweep him back out with the trash and mend this thread so it can continue constructively.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2021, 08:15:54 am »
The very first paragraph of this thread states specifically NO RETROPIE and that the intent of this Pi image and build setup is for an arcade only machine and yet we still get someone devoid of manners perseverating on unproductive commentary entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Now if it were ME living under a bridge eating unsuspecting passersby I would push the broken record player aside and make room for a table where I could develop my OWN plan for creating something that has nothing to do with this thread- and so start my own!

And then probably get mad when some disrespectful trogolodyte keeps posting disparaging remarks about anyone who has another idea or opinion.

Or... I could just take some crazy pills and buy into it all.

I can totally relate to that part of your post.  I made my point, apologized to those who was offended.  I also suggested assisting with the project.

I didn't see the Retropie part of the first post but it is in caps.  My bad.  I hate to see people interested in projects then see them fizzle out when there is a easier alternative.

But as usual in this forum whenever someone makes a negative comment all the crazies come oozing out of their holes.  They just appear out of nowhere.

As a long time lurker and recent poster, I can categorically state that this is one of the most open and welcoming forums ever encountered. 

The kind owner of the site seems to tolerates these vulgar outbursts, from a certain individual and there is nothing you can do about that.

I would put the reason down to lack of interest in the hobby, especially when someone has a different view, or has some personal problems.

I will no longer continue on the subject, as it is attracting the wrong kind of attention.

I liked your post and wanted to comment on it.  :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2021, 09:12:22 am »
Glad I decided to drop by when I did. Very cool stuff.  :cheers:

A ways back, I got tired of constantly fixing monitors and troubleshooting boards to keep my cabs running. Also got tired of building (and rebuilding) PCs to to use in place of those boards I was tired of fixing. ArcadeSD appeared on the scene and looked to be a clean solution, but was too pricey for my liking. This looks to be the solution I wanted.

Kinda baffled by the controversy - not baffled by the technical aspects, just baffled by the vitriol. WTF would you object to something that so clearly has merit, even if it’s not for you.  :dunno

Ironically, I’m in process on a RetroPie configuration for a living room system so I can sit on the couch and play. It’s great for that, but it certainly isn’t a solution that works for me for cabinets. But then, I got rid of my one - well, two —“cabinet to play them all” long ago in favour of a curated selection of dedicated and limited multi-game cabinets (MultiWilliams, Multi-Exidy, MultiPac, MultiJAMMA a la Clay, 60-in-1).

This looks like a perfect solution to replace my 60-in-1 with a cleaner front-end and better game selection (BluePrint!)I never did get around to rebuilding the PC I was planning to use for the same project. Now, I’m now seriously considering this as a basis for going forward. After that, turn my existing VS dedicated into a VS multi. And a good solution should my MultiWilliams and MultiPac setups fail.

I like it and will follow with keen interest.

:applaud:  :applaud: :applaud:

You are right on the money.  This all started because I (foolishly) decided to build TWO cabinets at the same time for Christmas presents this year for my nieces and nephews.  I needed a solution that was kid proof (no menus and no way to access/change settings without a keyboard), relatively cheap, reliable and it only needed to play classic games (mostly from the early 80s).  They live 300 miles away and my brother-in-law doesn't know the first thing about this stuff - if something goes wrong it will not be fixable.

I started looking into the 60-in-1 boards but the more I read the worse of a solution it seemed to be plus there were a few must haves that the board didn't have so that was out.  The other suggested options (MiSTer, ArcadeSD, Arpicade all look like fantastic solutions but they are too pricey for this project though I do plan on getting a MiSTer eventually for personal use). 

Then I found bbegin's project and thought hmmm... all I really need is MAME... if I could get it to look and behave how I wanted it would be a perfect solution.  The pi is cheap and so are microSD cards.  If something goes wrong, all you have to do is replace the card and you are up and running again - I plan to deliver 2 copies of the microSD card all set up with each cabinet just in case.  I found FrizzleFried's ArcadeSD theme for Attract Mode and was off to the races.  bbegin patiently answered my questions and tweaked things until he got it to behave exactly like I envisioned - he's a great guy and an asset to the community.

This was never intended to be a replacement for anything else (though I think it can completely replace the 60-in-1 :laugh:) and not all games will run properly - I have tried about 75 games so far and only found 1 that didn't run - but I do believe it is a perfect solution for a simple set up running only classic games.   :cheers:

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2021, 09:17:00 am »
I hate to see people interested in projects then see them fizzle out when there is a easier alternative.

The goal is a better solution and I think, with the weight of those who have chimed in in favour, that is what this is. My thanks to bbegin for his efforts and to javeryh for making me aware of this better, not easier, solution.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2021, 09:25:51 am »

Good to see you back.  Funny how things around here never change with some people, huh?   ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2021, 10:36:56 am »

If only.

Ark gotta Ark.

Remember me now?

I even had a lady friend with me and at the time we had to leave because you upset her too with your comments towards me.
You really are a piece of work.  The highlight was chatting with Delusional as he was really nice and pleasant, as was the fellow BYOACers.

Yeah, that never happened.

What an odd lie. I’ve never had a single negative interaction at ZapCon. In fact, I go out of my way to make sure that every single person that comes to the show is welcome there. So keep on lying about being at ZapCon - it’s par for the course.