Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Welcome to the Raspberry Pi 4 LOVE Fest ;)  (Read 15400 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Welcome to the Raspberry Pi 4 LOVE Fest ;)
« on: October 18, 2021, 10:12:21 am »
OK this has been a long time coming with all the recent discussion around single board solutions for arcade cabinets - I think the Raspberry Pi 4 is a great option running the current version of MAME with Attract Mode.  NO RETROPIE.  The idea was to create an easy and cheap way to set up the guts of an arcade cabinet without messing with a PC or Windows, etc.  This would be for cabinets running "classic" games only as this solution only works for (most) games up to about the mid-90s.

Over the past few weeks I was able to set everything up - I'm not great with this stuff so it took me a bit to figure it all out.  All credit goes to user bbegin - he created the image HERE and has been providing tech support but I suspect not a lot of people check out the Raspberry Pi message board so I wanted to bring attention to it here.

Here is a quick video showing it in action:

Everything is working as expected.  Boots directly to front end/game list -> after selecting a game it flashes to a black screen -> play the game -> press 'exit' and it flashes to a black screen -> back to the front end.  Repeat.  It seems very stable.  I've had it running for days and I've done a power cycle at least 30 times so far.

It is a very clean set up and feels almost like a commercial product with the way it behaves. I like a no frills approach although I'm sure people will be able to push this even further with more tweaking or a different theme or whatever.  If you are looking for something simple give it a shot!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Re: Welcome to the Raspberry Pi 4 LOVE Fest ;)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 10:13:30 am »
The changes I made to the image to get it to behave like this are as follows:

1.  I added the one button safe shutdown/power on script:

Edited "/boot/config.txt" by adding these two lines to the file at the end:

Code: [Select]
#shutdown button
dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown

Now bridging GPIO3 and Ground (pins 5 and 6) will shut the pi off.  Doing it again will turn it back on. 

2.  I removed the "MAME" logos that appear on boot-up, shutdown and when launching a game by deleting the .png files in the "/home/pi/splash" folder.  You could customize this however you want with other images I suppose.

3.  I downloaded "SDarcadeMod_v3f" from the Attract Mode forums (made by our own FrizzleFried) and set it to run in vertical orientation.  Unzip the file and put the entire folder in the "/attract/layouts/" folder.  This is meant to make the menu look like the ArcadeSD card. 

The way the image works is that once you boot up it is either in "Service Mode" or "Arcade Mode".  The detailed instructions are in bbegin's thread.  Once you have it set up to boot in Arcade Mode, you can select the front end by typing "frontend attract" at the command prompt (using Putty or something to SSH in).  When you reboot, Attract Mode will launch but the screen will just say "MAME 0/1" in the bottom right corner.  This is because the default name for the Game List is "MAME" and the "0/1" means you have no games in this list.  So hit TAB and the Attract Mode menu will come up and you can play around with the settings, including populating the game list, scraping for artwork, etc.  This wasn't clear at first.

4.  When exiting a game back to the front end, there was an issue with the snaps not lining up.  This was an easy fix: You just have to set the ResFix-Plugin.  Start Attract Mode > press TAB key > Plug-Ins > ResFix > Enabled : Yes > Specific Emulators : your_Display_Name (or leave this blank for it to apply to all of them).

5.  I changed "mame.ini" so that the screen rotated 90 degrees as well ("ror 1") so all of the games run in portrait mode as well.  I also remapped the controls in both Attract Mode and MAME so everything behaved like I wanted it to.  That part will be custom for each user but note the image is set to automatically shut down when you "Exit" Attract Mode.  The default is the same exit button as MAME ("ESC") so I had to delete/remap that function in Attract Mode because a double press of the Exit button was shutting the whole thing off - not ideal!

I also added the following to mame.ini:

skip_gameinfo 1
skip_disclaimer 1
skip_validitychecks 1

This is because the image is running standard MAME so all of the warnings were popping up for about 1/2 the games I was trying to play.  This fixed most of the issues.  If someone knows a better way short of compiling my own version of MAME for the pi4 which I have no idea how to do then I'm all ears.

That's most of it... although I'm sure there were other small tweaks I'm forgetting.   
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 02:40:41 pm by javeryh »

Beretta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2021, 02:11:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:12:53 pm »
Pi's have come a long ways and are much more energy efficient.

But I never understood beyond space and power restrictions why someone wouldn't just use a PC when you can dig them out of the trash that will do the job.

Can the pi4 handle Killer Instinct & Narc? Those are 2 of the more demanding games 2d I've found in mame.
Anyone got change for a dollar?
PLEASE HELP NEED Fastmame .70 and .9* releases

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 01:49:47 pm »
I seem to always run into play-crushing lag when I run games on any OS based on one with an "L" starting it's name.  If I can notice it, it's not acceptable.

How does this Pi solution fare with regard to that aspect?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 02:45:03 pm »
I seem to always run into play-crushing lag when I run games on any OS based on one with an "L" starting it's name.  If I can notice it, it's not acceptable.

How does this Pi solution fare with regard to that aspect?

I guess I'll let you know unless others have tried and want to comment.  I haven't noticed any lag but I have only had a keyboard hooked up so far.  Once I finish the cabs I'm working on I will be able to playtest more.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 04:17:38 pm »

But I never understood beyond space and power restrictions why someone wouldn't just use a PC when you can dig them out of the trash that will do the job.

Can the pi4 handle Killer Instinct & Narc? Those are 2 of the more demanding games 2d I've found in mame.

There's quite a few MAME based games that probably won't play well on the pi 4.  javeryh has mentioned the platform is better suited to a subset of working games, but that's plenty. I regularly use old trash PCs for arcade builds but I'd happily use this solution as a preference because of the reasons already stated:

Cheap - compared to new PC options, fast to deploy- the image is ready to go, no bloat in the FE or OS, small - can be used nicely in Bartops for instance...to name a few.  It's early days, pi tech will only improve.  bbegin's work on a better alternative to RetroPie is a great start.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 04:41:12 pm »

There's quite a few MAME based games that probably won't play well on the pi 4.  javeryh has mentioned the platform is better suited to a subset of working games, but that's plenty. I regularly use old trash PCs for arcade builds but I'd happily use this solution as a preference because of the reasons already stated:

Cheap - compared to new PC options, fast to deploy- the image is ready to go, no bloat in the FE or OS, small - can be used nicely in Bartops for instance...to name a few.  It's early days, pi tech will only improve.  bbegin's work on a better alternative to RetroPie is a great start.

Exactly.  This is meant for a "classic" cabinet approach until the pi gets more powerful.  I've tried about 50 games so far with no issues except Astro Blaster is unplayable, which was surprising to me.  There is synthesized speech in the game so maybe that is causing the slow down but it's a really old game so I expected it to run.  Everything else I've tried appears to be working great.  Here is my list:

Amidar
Anteater
Armored Car
Astro Invader
Bagman
Burger Time
Carnival
Cavelon
Circus Charlie
Crush Roller
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong II
Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong, Jr.
Eyes
Frogger
Galaga
Galaga '88
Galaxian
Gaplus
Gorf
Guzzler
Gyruss
Jr. Pac-Man
Jumping Jack
Kicker
King & Balloon
Lasso
Ladybug
Lock-n-Chase
Lunar Rescue
Mappy
Monster Bash
Moon Cresta
Ms. Pac-Man
Mr. Do!
Mr. Do!'s Castle
Nibbler
Pac-Man
Pac & Pal
Pac-Man Plus
Pandora's Palace
Pengo
Phoenix
Pioneer Balloon
Pleiads
Pooyan
Qix
Satan's Hallow
Space Invaders
Super Pac-Man
The End
The Tower of Druaga
Van-Van Car
Zzyzzyxx

Plus:

Tapper
Atari Tetris
Mr. Do!'s Wild Ride

yeah, yeah they are horizontal but I can't go with out these...  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 04:44:03 pm »
That's a nice setup for what your goals were but I still like the RetroPie solution as well.  I was easily able to setup several emulators the first day including getting Dragon's Lair running in Daphne.  It was making things look pretty that took some extra time.  I made my own custom loading videos so mine looks quite snazzy now.

slybunda

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 04:16:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 04:55:36 pm »
3ghz pentium 4 runs killer instinct full speed. dunno if a pi 4 can do that.?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 05:15:49 pm »
That's a nice setup for what your goals were but I still like the RetroPie solution as well.  I was easily able to setup several emulators the first day including getting Dragon's Lair running in Daphne.  It was making things look pretty that took some extra time.  I made my own custom loading videos so mine looks quite snazzy now.

yeah this isn't going to be for everyone.  I do not like Retropie at all for a bunch of reasons and was looking for a simple MAME-only solution with an easy to navigate GUI.  I don't like consoles, intro videos, game info, flyers, etc.  Whatever the opposite of snazzy is - that's me.  This image is dead simple - everything you see in the video is all you get.

I could never figure out how to remove the menus/settings layer and the version of MAME on Retropie is ancient.  So even if you boot to the MAME2003 gamelist (and it's your only list) there was still a layer to back out to that has all the Retropie settings and that's where things always went wrong eventually.  Even kiosk mode/kid mode or whatever it is didn't quite work how I wanted it to.  That locked down some settings but not all.  I've played around with it a lot and just never could get it to behave how I wanted it to.

3ghz pentium 4 runs killer instinct full speed. dunno if a pi 4 can do that.?

This isn't meant for that (I don't actually know if KI will run but there are a ton of youtube videos claiming it runs full speed on the pi4).  If you are building a cabinet to play the most amount of games, of course a PC is the way to go.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 05:43:12 pm »
Well I thought Mame was great back in 1999 so I don't need anything newer...lol.

Dude I've heard all your whining about RetroPie like 10 times so its fun to poke the bear.  But you should change the title "Raspberry Pi 4 LOVE Fest unless you are running RetroPie"...haha.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 06:03:54 pm »
We have all have different tastes an ideas when it comes to multi-game machines.  I like the idea of moving away from front ends which feature a lot of 'extras'.  A few years back I would have thought differently.  Minimalism as a design choice vs LED lighting, fancy front-ends etc is the shift, influenced by a more purist thinking, which is fine by me.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 06:38:11 pm »
i'm honestly not sure what games came out past the mid 90's i'd want to play other than some of the CAVE games.
this is why an rpi is pretty much all i've needed.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 10:47:58 am »
We have all have different tastes an ideas when it comes to multi-game machines.  I like the idea of moving away from front ends which feature a lot of 'extras'.  A few years back I would have thought differently.  Minimalism as a design choice vs LED lighting, fancy front-ends etc is the shift, influenced by a more purist thinking, which is fine by me.

Exactly.  This is meant to be an alternative to a MiSTer FPGA or ArcadeSD or Arpicade set up (which all seem great but more expensive).  It's a focused, arcade-only single board alternative to a PC.  I think a minimalist setup in both outward design and internal function makes for a better user experience but that's just me and part of the reason I love this hobby so much is because everyone has a different idea as to what works.   :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 11:26:31 am »
Personally I liked this solution and have followed along in bbegin's thread and your progress.  The cool thing about the Raspberry Pi solution is I can have both your solution and the RetroPie solution and swap between them in a couple minutes just by plugging in different SD cards.  I was just defending the RetroPie solution because I kinda liked it and thought it was easy but I don't consider it better than anything.  It does let me play Dragon's Lair on that setup which I like enough that its the main theme of my Mame cab.  I like a huge variety.  My bartop has the RetroPie but I also swap it out with a Mister.  I have a full sized Mame cabinet that runs with a PC if I ever want to see what that Killer Instinct game looks like...lol.  I have a Pacman cab that is going to be converted to use a BitKit, MisterCade, and original boards.  I have JROKs in Robotron and Joust scratch builds.  And I have a real Defender.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 09:04:26 am »
Cool...I talked about the lack of the ability to play Dragon's Lair in that solution and now bbegin worked tirelessly throughout the night and has Daphne running in his image.  :)

Going to get another SD card and check this out.  It's awesome news!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 09:19:33 am »
Cool...I talked about the lack of the ability to play Dragon's Lair in that solution and now bbegin worked tirelessly throughout the night and has Daphne running in his image.  :)

Going to get another SD card and check this out.  It's awesome news!

LOL seriously?  Now I need to update!   :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2021, 11:04:12 am »
I don't think he posted it yet.   He said he got it working and would post it soon.

Update:  Now its available
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 02:20:52 pm by Gilrock »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 01:13:28 pm »
Giving this a shot needs to get added to my project list.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 02:37:36 pm »
In my opinion this is the better option than RetroPie for a dedicated cabinet. It's much closer to an "appliance" than RetroPie is which is awesome. If all you need is MAME, I'd say this is pretty darn awesome.

Anyone tried this image with a pi to jamma converter or anything? Make sure it works well with a CRT?

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2021, 08:34:51 pm »
I bought a MS Pacman 1Up Countercade V2 off HSN to play the odd game of ms pacman between calls.  I modded the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of it.

The display and Pi3, the active marquee, pizero W and fans all run off 5v.  I don't get any lightning bolts due to power issues with this new PSU BAR/brick from Amazon.

I can play all the classics and laserdisc games with no problems now.  Volume and power issues are resolved with a new power cut off switch.

With no more home audits I can play whatever I want and the Pi3 runs about 90% of the three button classics.  Even my boss wants one.

Anything more GPU complicated the larger cabinets can play them.

The problem is price scalping and the lack of PI4 units be available.  Adafruit is completely sold out, as is Best Buy.  Even Pi3s are hard to come by.

Then you have cooling issues and finding the right heatsink in the case.  I found some Lenovo M73s for $40 off ebay and the PSU can be had for $10. 

Those i3 with 4 or 8GB and 60gb SSD runs circles around the Pi4 and you can play Wii and PSP games at full FPS with the HD4000 GPU. Install Retrobat and you are golden.

For an addition $20 for the SSD you can have an emulation powerhouse.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2021, 10:48:19 pm »
We know. Most veterans here have been using Core duo,I3, and I5 PCs in their emulator based cabs for years.  It's missing the point of the thread. Apart from supply issues  (Plenty of Pi 4s are to be gotten where I am) this thread seeks to highlight a new alternative in emulation choices. A ready to go, dedicated current MAME based image, on an SD card, slotted into the Pi 4 and you ready to go.

On a price point, with a select set of games, the Pi4 solution is very affordable compared to any current PC hardware choices and considerably easier to implement now that the hard work has been done by bbegin (and javeryh).

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 12:54:13 am »
I like what’s in the video, but it’s very close to what I’m doing on a 20 year old PC running DOS.

:dunno

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 12:58:41 am »
We know. Most veterans here have been using Core duo,I3, and I5 PCs in their emulator based cabs for years.  It's missing the point of the thread. Apart from supply issues  (Plenty of Pi 4s are to be gotten where I am) this thread seeks to highlight a new alternative in emulation choices. A ready to go, dedicated current MAME based image, on an SD card, slotted into the Pi 4 and you ready to go.

On a price point, with a select set of games, the Pi4 solution is very affordable compared to any current PC hardware choices and considerably easier to implement now that the hard work has been done by bbegin (and javeryh).

When you cannot buy a Pi4 (and if you can get them locally where you are please advise us) then you look to alternatives. 

Retropie   (How many versions exist for the Raspberry Pi and Arm?)
Batocera  (How many platforms are available for this software?

These are easy to set up and play on a host of SBCs.

Recreating the wheel doesn't mean it is the best. 

Maybe one of the best yet, until this thread appeared, I have never heard of it, and the video shows basic functionality.

It will never replace the current available distributions.  The developers have some way to go.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2021, 01:07:22 am »
The changes I made to the image to get it to behave like this are as follows:

1.  I added the one button safe shutdown/power on script:

Edited "/boot/config.txt" by adding these two lines to the file at the end:

#shutdown button
dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown

Now bridging GPIO3 and Ground (pins 5 and 6) will shut the pi off.  Doing it again will turn it back on. 

2.  I removed the "MAME" logos that appear on boot-up, shutdown and when launching a game by deleting the .png files in the "/home/pi/splash" folder.  You could customize this however you want with other images I suppose.

3.  I downloaded "SDarcadeMod_v3f" from the Attract Mode forums (made by our own FrizzleFried) and set it to run in vertical orientation.  Unzip the file and put the entire folder in the "/attract/layouts/" folder.  This is meant to make the menu look like the ArcadeSD card. 

The way the image works is that once you boot up it is either in "Service Mode" or "Arcade Mode".  The detailed instructions are in bbegin's thread.  Once you have it set up to boot in Arcade Mode, you can select the front end by typing "frontend attract" at the command prompt (using Putty or something to SSH in).  When you reboot, Attract Mode will launch but the screen will just say "MAME 0/1" in the bottom right corner.  This is because the default name for the Game List is "MAME" and the "0/1" means you have no games in this list.  So hit TAB and the Attract Mode menu will come up and you can play around with the settings, including populating the game list, scraping for artwork, etc.  This wasn't clear at first.

4.  When exiting a game back to the front end, there was an issue with the snaps not lining up.  This was an easy fix: You just have to set the ResFix-Plugin.  Start Attract Mode > press TAB key > Plug-Ins > ResFix > Enabled : Yes > Specific Emulators : your_Display_Name (or leave this blank for it to apply to all of them).

5.  I changed "mame.ini" so that the screen rotated 90 degrees as well ("ror 1") so all of the games run in portrait mode as well.  I also remapped the controls in both Attract Mode and MAME so everything behaved like I wanted it to.  That part will be custom for each user but note the image is set to automatically shut down when you "Exit" Attract Mode.  The default is the same exit button as MAME ("ESC") so I had to delete/remap that function in Attract Mode because a double press of the Exit button was shutting the whole thing off - not ideal!

I also added the following to mame.ini:

skip_gameinfo 1
skip_disclaimer 1
skip_validitychecks 1

This is because the image is running standard MAME so all of the warnings were popping up for about 1/2 the games I was trying to play.  This fixed most of the issues.  If someone knows a better way short of compiling my own version of MAME for the pi4 which I have no idea how to do then I'm all ears.

That's most of it... although I'm sure there were other small tweaks I'm forgetting.

Credit should be given where it is due.

All of this sure sounds very familiar....

So let me get this straight.  This is an official mame version for the Pi4 and you didn't change anything?  Why is this different?

Are you supposed to be doing that for general release?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 02:30:48 am by Vocalitus »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2021, 01:13:29 am »
 :laugh2:

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2021, 02:18:11 am »
:laugh2:

So you cannot locate the Pi4s then...  Not to worry as the M73 is shaping up brilliantly.

OND you used to be the ultimate contributor here.  Your projects were legendary.

I think you are happier when you are creating something new.

Why don't you whittle out a new Nintendo case for your Pi 4 out of some kindling?

We would love to see that.  Seriously.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 08:08:38 am by Vocalitus »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2021, 09:41:39 am »

Maybe one of the best yet, until this thread appeared, I have never heard of it, and the video shows basic functionality.

It will never replace the current available distributions.  The developers have some way to go.

First, I'm not a developer.  I can barely post on this forum without help.  Second, I really think you are misunderstanding the point of this.  I know Retropie and Batocera exist and I have tried them out many times with may different setups and they are fine but I will never ever play a console game on an arcade cabinet so these setups are bloated beyond belief for my needs.  I've tried and I don't get it - it's just not fun to me.  Console games were designed to be played with a controller in front of a TV... and Retropie setups work great in those scenarios (but still massively inferior to a what a PC can do). 

As far as I can tell, there is no "MAME only" Retropie setup.  There are tons of "arcade only" images but the way Retropie works is it expects multiple "consoles" so there is always a console menu to back out to (that also contains the "Retropie" menu where settings can be messed with).  There isn't an easy way to get rid of this.  Not to mention, current versions of Retropie are running MAME from 2003.

All this is trying to accomplish is a simple MAME setup for an arcade cabinet running classic games without needing a PC or Windows.  That's it.  Of course there are other ways to do this.

So let me get this straight.  This is an official mame version for the Pi4 and you didn't change anything?  Why is this different?

I'm not sure what you mean.  This isn't an official image released by the MAME devs.  bbegin figured out a way to get the current version of MAME running on the pi4 and all credit goes to him.  I wanted more people to see what it could do which is why I posted here.

Those MAME logos were added to bbegin's image by bbegin so something would appear at start up and shutdown instead of a blank screen.  I prefer the blank screen.  They have nothing to do with the official MAME release as far as I can tell.  Either way, who cares? We all tweak MAME to suit our needs (getting rid of no nag screens, high score saves, samples, etc.).

I guess I thought people here would find this setup pretty neat but maybe not based on the comments.   :cheers:

bbegin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:23:14 pm
  • Arcade games enthusiast, bartop arcade project WIP
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2021, 11:47:15 am »
I guess I thought people here would find this setup pretty neat but maybe not based on the comments.   :cheers:

I simply think that some people tend to forget one thing with an arcade cabinet: it's all about the games themselves. We basically build these nice cabinets for the games, let's not forget this.

I think that with a sugar-coated feature-packed and a bloated setup like RetroPie, we loose the sight of the games themselves: it's becoming more and more about the look and less about a good and faithful emulation of arcade classics (in this case).

Sorry for my english, that was my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:50:15 am by bbegin »
Personal project:
How to make a dedicated MAME Appliance on a Raspberry Pi 4/Pi 400
https://gist.github.com/sonicprod/f5a7bb10fb9ed1cc5124766831e120c4

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2021, 01:03:50 pm »

I simply think that some people tend to forget one thing with an arcade cabinet: it's all about the games themselves. We basically build these nice cabinets for the games, let's not forget this.

I think that with a sugar-coated feature-packed and a bloated setup like RetroPie, we loose the sight of the games themselves: it's becoming more and more about the look and less about a good and faithful emulation of arcade classics (in this case).

Well said, I will continue to promote what is a nice alternative to other emulation solutions.  :applaud:

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2021, 06:50:21 pm »

First, I'm not a developer.  I can barely post on this forum without help.  Second, I really think you are misunderstanding the point of this.  I know Retropie and Batocera exist and I have tried them out many times with may different setups and they are fine but I will never ever play a console game on an arcade cabinet so these setups are bloated beyond belief for my needs.  I've tried and I don't get it - it's just not fun to me.  Console games were designed to be played with a controller in front of a TV... and Retropie setups work great in those scenarios (but still massively inferior to a what a PC can do). 

As far as I can tell, there is no "MAME only" Retropie setup.  There are tons of "arcade only" images but the way Retropie works is it expects multiple "consoles" so there is always a console menu to back out to (that also contains the "Retropie" menu where settings can be messed with).  There isn't an easy way to get rid of this.  Not to mention, current versions of Retropie are running MAME from 2003.

All this is trying to accomplish is a simple MAME setup for an arcade cabinet running classic games without needing a PC or Windows.  That's it.  Of course there are other ways to do this.

I'm not sure what you mean.  This isn't an official image released by the MAME devs.  bbegin figured out a way to get the current version of MAME running on the pi4 and all credit goes to him.  I wanted more people to see what it could do which is why I posted here.

Those MAME logos were added to bbegin's image by bbegin so something would appear at start up and shutdown instead of a blank screen.  I prefer the blank screen.  They have nothing to do with the official MAME release as far as I can tell.  Either way, who cares? We all tweak MAME to suit our needs (getting rid of no nag screens, high score saves, samples, etc.).

You just remove the cores or roms from Retropie it is that simple.  Then find a theme that matches your requirements.

I cannot believe you have to recreate the wheel to make it so dumb down.

Next you are going to whine about the interface is not up to scratch.  :lol

Here is the video for the lazy:

Well said, I will continue to promote what is a nice alternative to other emulation solutions.  :applaud:

Words escape me.   ::)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2021, 07:34:32 pm »
You just remove the cores or roms from Retropie it is that simple.  Then find a theme that matches your requirements.

That is not helpful at all.  If you have ever played around with Retropie, obviously deleting the roms removes that emulator from the main menu.  But this does not remove the "Retropie" menu.  If you delete everything except for the "arcade" roms folder you will still have a top menu with "Arcade" and "Retropie Settings". 

Even if you remove the Retropie Settings menu (in setup -> core packages) you will still have a top menu that just says "Arcade" and I haven't found a way to remove it.  I also don't want to ever see the Start and Select menus in Retropie where you can scrape or search for a game or whatever - I do not want anything visible to the user except for one gamelist for MAME.  So yes, the interface is not up to scratch for me.  Plus, it runs a 20 year old version of MAME. 

This is not dumbing anything down - it is simplifying things for people who just want to play classic arcade games and nothing else.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2021, 03:37:57 am »

That is not helpful at all.  If you have ever played around with Retropie, obviously deleting the roms removes that emulator from the main menu.  But this does not remove the "Retropie" menu.  If you delete everything except for the "arcade" roms folder you will still have a top menu with "Arcade" and "Retropie Settings". 

Even if you remove the Retropie Settings menu (in setup -> core packages) you will still have a top menu that just says "Arcade" and I haven't found a way to remove it.  I also don't want to ever see the Start and Select menus in Retropie where you can scrape or search for a game or whatever - I do not want anything visible to the user except for one gamelist for MAME.  So yes, the interface is not up to scratch for me.  Plus, it runs a 20 year old version of MAME. 

This is not dumbing anything down - it is simplifying things for people who just want to play classic arcade games and nothing else.

You need to learn some of those communication skills your parents and teachers might have mentioned when you were younger.  Ask and you might be enlightened.

Want the Retropie menu to be gone?  I have found a utility that was supposed to to add a music jukebox player for Retropie and it comes with an editor to modify the Retropie Menu, which has a nasty side effect of removing the whole bloody thing.  Which is problematic as you cannot get it back.  I am sure you can put the utility to some other good use in your project like the Arcade folder.

It works as a music player for those who want to add that functionality into their cabinets.

https://installtekz.com/how-to-add-music-to-retropie-on-a-raspberry-pi/

You are welcome.  8)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2021, 09:14:30 am »
You are still not getting it and now you’re just insulting me for no reason so let’s stop talking about Retropie here and start focusing on bbegin’s awesome Raspberry Pi 4 image.

Anyone have any idea why it would have trouble with Astro Blaster?  Is it the synthesized speech?  The game is from 1981 so I was surprised it was struggling so hard to run.

It’s been over a week now and everything else I have tested on it is still working great.  The most recent games I’ve tried are Namco Collection Vol. 1 &2 (1995/1996) and they work but each produce a nag screen that I can’t get rid of so I’m going to leave them out of my build.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2021, 11:30:00 am »
You need to learn some of those communication skills your parents and teachers might have mentioned when you were younger.  Ask and you might be enlightened.

Tone down the snark please. Rule #1.

--- saint
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2021, 11:35:41 am »
Vocalitus,

I wouldn't want to disrespect you, but why are you trying so desperately to convince the people around you that RetroPie is the answer to all needs? It is not, as no solution is.

What's wrong with someone creating their own solution that perfectly meets their needs, when they find that no solution already available is suitable?

It seems to me that in a given market, there are products for all tastes and types of needs ... right? If all vehicle manufacturers had confined themselves to saying that there was already the sedan automobile that meets the travel needs of people, trucks, SUVs, tractors and motorcycles, to name a few. , would never have seen the light of day on the market ...

You should let people express themselves freely without intimidating them and making them feel guilty just because they dare to explore other solutions than the one you cherish.

This forum is full of really great people, but I see that there are unfortunately some actors (they are not many) who try to make their law reign, THEIR way of seeing things by crushing others by different bullying tactics.

Unless I'm mistaken, we're on a discussion board that's open to everyone and deals with how people who enjoyed the arcade era and have an interest or desire to do them relive, in their own way, according to their personality, their tastes and their interests.

No hard feelings
Personal project:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2021, 11:49:14 am »
It's great that you're getting some assistance on this project from a Hypseus developer now bbegin! I love seeing new things like this take off and get some momentum.  If anyone else has begun to play with the Pi 4 image (get it over in the Raspberry Pi & Dev Board) let us know your thoughts.   :cheers:

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2021, 11:55:07 am »
You are still not getting it and now you’re just insulting me for no reason so let’s stop talking about Retropie here and start focusing on bbegin’s awesome Raspberry Pi 4 image.

Anyone have any idea why it would have trouble with Astro Blaster?  Is it the synthesized speech?  The game is from 1981 so I was surprised it was struggling so hard to run.

It’s been over a week now and everything else I have tested on it is still working great.  The most recent games I’ve tried are Namco Collection Vol. 1 &2 (1995/1996) and they work but each produce a nag screen that I can’t get rid of so I’m going to leave them out of my build.

About the poor performance of Astro Blaster, I can think of the high cost (in terms of processing) for up-to-date MAME to emulate one or some of the specific devices that are part of Astro Blaster original system. Personnaly, I don't think that it is the synthesized speech. Older versions of MAME (the ones from 2003, for example) are less complex and may sometimes emulate faster, but with less accuracy or quality.
Personal project:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2021, 01:19:36 pm »
From the Astro Blaster history.dat entry:
Sega G80 Raster hardware

Main CPU : Z80 (@ 3.867 Mhz), I8035 (@ 208 Khz)
Sound Chips : Discrete circuitry, SP0250 (@ 3.12 Mhz)
I agree with bbegin that it's probably not the synthesized speech.

The far more likely culprit is the analog audio "discrete circuitry".

Digital audio circuits like the SP0250 Orator speech synthesis chip take far less processing power to emulate/simulate than analog audio circuits.

The analog sound simulations in newer versions of MAME have very high system requirements compared to the sound sample system used in older versions of MAME.

If Astro Blaster is a must-have game, you may want to consider running it on a version of MAME between v0.143 and v0.223.

From the Astro Blaster info.dat entry:
- 0.224: Added netlist-based sound to Astro Blaster [Aaron Giles]. Added 'Astro Blaster Sound Board' and 'Netlist Sound Device'. Removed Samples.
. . .
- 0.142u1: Added 'Sega Speech Sound Board'.

Scott

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:23:10 pm
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2021, 05:20:41 pm »
I very much like Retropie but that is because it is what I used when I first started with lower cost solutions. I also liked the Pi because I could use the GPIO pins for buttons and joysticks. That being said, I would love to try this build because I like the newer versions of Mame for some games. I just need to find a Pi4. Thanks for doing all that work. I hope to try it soon.

J_K_M_A_N

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2021, 07:01:32 pm »

Tone down the snark please. Rule #1.

--- saint

I made those comments in a humorous way, you also deleted my apology.

Then another member used foul language in an extremely hostile way, but I do not see any notices for him, and this is a repeat offender might say.  This one looks one sided to me Saint.
I would not comment on this, if it was not being so serious.  What is good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

Vocalitus,

I wouldn't want to disrespect you, but why are you trying so desperately to convince the people around you that RetroPie is the answer to all needs? It is not, as no solution is.

What's wrong with someone creating their own solution that perfectly meets their needs, when they find that no solution already available is suitable?

It seems to me that in a given market, there are products for all tastes and types of needs ... right? If all vehicle manufacturers had confined themselves to saying that there was already the sedan automobile that meets the travel needs of people, trucks, SUVs, tractors and motorcycles, to name a few. , would never have seen the light of day on the market ...

You should let people express themselves freely without intimidating them and making them feel guilty just because they dare to explore other solutions than the one you cherish.

This forum is full of really great people, but I see that there are unfortunately some actors (they are not many) who try to make their law reign, THEIR way of seeing things by crushing others by different bullying tactics.

Unless I'm mistaken, we're on a discussion board that's open to everyone and deals with how people who enjoyed the arcade era and have an interest or desire to do them relive, in their own way, according to their personality, their tastes and their interests.

No hard feelings

Nobody is disrespecting anyone here.  Nowhere in the rules do I see where we have to bow and scrape to get our point across, especially when the person asking the questions ignores advice after admitting that they know little of the subject.

You are creating an IOT appliance that has already been done.  Countless development hours have gone into this appliance (called RetroPie) that is enjoyed by thousands of people.  You are making a fork of that.  Great.

You could also be assisting others to fix problems with the current technology or adapt it to service your needs.  I mentioned the lack of PI4s in the marketplace, also that you are getting problems with ROMS, but those problems are already documented.

This is all work in progress, and as I am a software engineer for a large software company, we do not waste time recreating the wheel.  It hurts everyone associated with the project.

That way users are supported, with proven results.  I have noticed that users have no patience in the process.

There is another thread regarding this project here so why are we discussing this in thread?  Exposure?  You have posted this project to nearly every Raspberry Pi site already with a healthy response.  I couldn't care less what you do, just don't waste your time coming up with a solution, when there is one already available that might need tweaking or a new theme to be created.

Good luck and if you need help with anything, just ask.

Translation:

Personne ne manque de respect ŕ personne ici. Nulle part dans les rčgles je ne vois oů nous devons nous incliner et gratter pour faire passer notre message, surtout lorsque la personne qui pose les questions ignore les conseils aprčs avoir admis qu'elle en sait peu sur le sujet.

Vous créez une appliance IOT qui a déjŕ été réalisée. D'innombrables heures de développement ont été consacrées ŕ cet appareil (appelé RetroPie) qui est apprécié par mes milliers de personnes. Vous en faites une fourchette. Super.

Vous pourriez également aider d'autres personnes ŕ résoudre des problčmes avec la technologie actuelle ou ŕ l'adapter pour répondre ŕ vos besoins. J'ai mentionné le manque de PI4 sur le marché, ainsi que le fait que vous rencontrez des problčmes avec les ROMS, mais ces problčmes sont déjŕ documentés.

Tout cela est en cours, et comme je suis ingénieur logiciel pour une grande société de logiciels, nous ne perdons pas de temps ŕ recréer la roue. Cela fait mal ŕ tous ceux qui sont associés au projet.

De cette façon, les utilisateurs sont pris en charge, avec des résultats prouvés. J'ai remarqué que les utilisateurs n'ont aucune patience dans le processus.

Il y a un autre fil concernant ce projet ici, alors pourquoi en discutons-nous dans le fil ? Exposition? Vous avez déjŕ publié ce projet sur presque tous les sites Raspberry Pi avec une réponse saine. Peu m'importe ce que vous faites, ne perdez pas votre temps ŕ trouver une solution, alors qu'il y en a une déjŕ disponible qui pourrait avoir besoin d'ętre peaufinée ou qu'un nouveau thčme doit ętre créé.

Bonne chance et si vous avez besoin d'aide pour quoi que ce soit, n'hésitez pas ŕ demande.

You would be surprised how much French there is in English

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2021, 10:33:50 pm »
Nobody is disrespecting anyone here.  Nowhere in the rules do I see where we have to bow and scrape to get our point across, especially when the person asking the questions ignores advice after admitting that they know little of the subject.

You are creating an IOT appliance that has already been done.  Countless development hours have gone into this appliance (called RetroPie) that is enjoyed by thousands of people.  You are making a fork of that.  Great.

You could also be assisting others to fix problems with the current technology or adapt it to service your needs.  I mentioned the lack of PI4s in the marketplace, also that you are getting problems with ROMS, but those problems are already documented.

This is all work in progress, and as I am a software engineer for a large software company, we do not waste time recreating the wheel.  It hurts everyone associated with the project.

That way users are supported, with proven results.  I have noticed that users have no patience in the process.

There is another thread regarding this project here so why are we discussing this in thread?  Exposure?  You have posted this project to nearly every Raspberry Pi site already with a healthy response.  I couldn't care less what you do, just don't waste your time coming up with a solution, when there is one already available that might need tweaking or a new theme to be created.

I totally disagree with you that I reinvented something that has already being done. If it was the case, I wouldn't done it in the first place. I created this solution because RetroPie (and other similar distros, who have "recreated the wheel", as you would say) is not, on my opinion a solution for an arcade-only cabinet. The interface is not adapted to arcade-only, the joystick layer is using an extra mapping layer concept (virtual joystick) that is applicable to home consoles, the emulation is based on old versions of MAME, to name just a few. And no, it's not a "fork" of RetroPie. I started this from scratch. I have the weird feeling that I have to justify myself about my opinions...

I am aware of the other thread, I created it. For your information, this one have been created by another user. A user that you appear to intimidate or feel guilty, by the way. You seems annoyed by something, I don't know exactly what... You say that "I have posted this project to nearly every Raspberry Pi site already [...]". You are wrong. Other than this forum, I have simply posted a message on the official forum of Raspberry Pi, under the Gaming sub-section. Again, I feel I need to justify myself to you.... You are just another user of this forum, I personnaly think you should treat others with more respect.

Anyway, sans rancune..
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:35:59 pm by bbegin »
Personal project:

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2021, 11:44:19 pm »

I totally disagree with you that I reinvented something that has already being done. If it was the case, I wouldn't done it in the first place. I created this solution because RetroPie (and other similar distros, who have "recreated the wheel", as you would say) is not, on my opinion a solution for an arcade-only cabinet. The interface is not adapted to arcade-only, the joystick layer is using an extra mapping layer concept (virtual joystick) that is applicable to home consoles, the emulation is based on old versions of MAME, to name just a few. And no, it's not a "fork" of RetroPie. I started this from scratch. I have the weird feeling that I have to justify myself about my opinions...

I am aware of the other thread, I created it. For your information, this one have been created by another user. A user that you appear to intimidate or feel guilty, by the way. You seems annoyed by something, I don't know exactly what... You say that "I have posted this project to nearly every Raspberry Pi site already [...]". You are wrong. Other than this forum, I have simply posted a message on the official forum of Raspberry Pi, under the Gaming sub-section. Again, I feel I need to justify myself to you.... You are just another user of this forum, I personally think you should treat others with more respect.

Anyway, sans rancune..

I supervise coders in my job, and they don't like explaining themselves.  I can relate to your response.  :)
I disagree with your summary, nearly everyone uses RetroPie or a similar distribution for their cabinets.  I like launchbox.
I am so very sorry to have an opinion.  No hard feelings.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.  :)

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2021, 04:25:04 am »
Can pi4 run games like killer instinct and ninja baseball batman etc?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2021, 09:00:59 am »
Nowhere in the rules do I see where we have to bow and scrape to get our point across, especially when the person asking the questions ignores advice after admitting that they know little of the subject.

Dude please just stop.  You refuse to understand what this project is about because in your mind Retropie (or Batocera maybe) is the only solution to playing video games with a Raspberry Pi and that is simply not the case.  You aren't giving any "advice" - you are just saying "this is dumb and Retropie is better", which is fine if that's what you think, but it is not helpful.  What would have been helpful is some suggestions on how to improve this specific project.

I was hoping people would want to talk about another potential solution for putting classic games into an arcade cabinet that I was excited about and based on some of the other responses in here people want to try this out.  A few people even commented on my dopey video asking how to get this up and running so I think there is interest.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2021, 09:03:34 am »
Can pi4 run games like killer instinct and ninja baseball batman etc?

Not sure about either (haven't tried them) but I'd be shocked if Ninja Baseball Batman did not work properly.  If I get a few minutes today I'll try them out and report back.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2021, 09:05:59 am »
I like what you’re doing.  Some day my ancient PC is going to die and I won’t remember how to set it back up.  I’ve already had to clone the failing hard drive onto a compact flash card.  (All 80MB of it…).

:cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2021, 09:06:59 am »
From the Astro Blaster history.dat entry:
Sega G80 Raster hardware

Main CPU : Z80 (@ 3.867 Mhz), I8035 (@ 208 Khz)
Sound Chips : Discrete circuitry, SP0250 (@ 3.12 Mhz)
I agree with bbegin that it's probably not the synthesized speech.

The far more likely culprit is the analog audio "discrete circuitry".

Digital audio circuits like the SP0250 Orator speech synthesis chip take far less processing power to emulate/simulate than analog audio circuits.

The analog sound simulations in newer versions of MAME have very high system requirements compared to the sound sample system used in older versions of MAME.

If Astro Blaster is a must-have game, you may want to consider running it on a version of MAME between v0.143 and v0.223.

From the Astro Blaster info.dat entry:
- 0.224: Added netlist-based sound to Astro Blaster [Aaron Giles]. Added 'Astro Blaster Sound Board' and 'Netlist Sound Device'. Removed Samples.
. . .
- 0.142u1: Added 'Sega Speech Sound Board'.

Scott

This is super interesting information.  Really cool how the MAME devs go back to old games to try and improve them even if they are mostly running properly.   I am running 0.219 (I think) in my most recent cabinet and have been playing Astro Blaster for the first time and really enjoying it but on this project it is just a "nice to have" not a "must have".

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2021, 09:11:57 am »
I like what you’re doing.  Some day my ancient PC is going to die and I won’t remember how to set it back up.  I’ve already had to clone the failing hard drive onto a compact flash card.  (All 80MB of it…).

Thanks pbj - I know exactly what you mean.  The PC in my first ever cabinet build is like 20 years old and over the summer I had to do a fair bit of maintenance on it because it wasn't booting properly.  It's gonna die again soon and I might just replace it with this setup.  It only has about 100 games to run on a vertical monitor and this is an extremely easy solution.   Plus, every time I set up a cab it's like I'm learning everything for the first time... :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2021, 09:38:50 am »
You guys are doing God's work here.

Don't let Ark discourage you.

Everyone else appreciates the effort.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2021, 09:48:34 am »
My Konami 4 player cab gets a lot of play.

I have I think 4 original PCBs for it.

I would like some other games like X Men, and TMNT.

I don't want to pay 400+ bucks each for the PCBs.

It breaks my heart, but a Pi solution for some of those games is a reality I am going to have to face eventually.

I just don't have the money for some of those PCBs.

Keep working. I will need you guys sometime soon.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2021, 09:54:36 am »
I still want to know how well the Pi4 does with regard to input lag with any of these.  I'll admit, I haven't touched a Pi since 2B.

Pretty and convenient is nice, and more front end options are always good, but how do they play?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2021, 09:59:47 am »
Pretty and convenient is nice, and more front end options are always good, but how do they play?

yes.

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2021, 12:06:54 pm »
I still want to know how well the Pi4 does with regard to input lag with any of these.  I'll admit, I haven't touched a Pi since 2B.

If I had a mean to measure the input lag on the image I propose, I would already had done these measurements.

For what I can say, the system is reduced to the strict minimum: no X11 system, and no "virtual gamepad" layer (as in RetroPie). The bare-minimum is installed on the image. So I personnally think it may positively impact the input lag (reduce it to some extent).

I think the best is to try it out and see for yourself.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:27:55 pm by bbegin »
Personal project:

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2021, 02:46:11 pm »

Every time someone starts a thread on the Raspberry Pi someone makes this point.

Yes, if you happen to have a reasonably capable second-hand PC lying around, then you might as well use it and see how you get on. But I think it’s a little unfair to compare a new item with a second-hand item that you might hypothetically pick up for free.

Also, one of the main reasons to use a Pi is that you avoid having to deal with all of the unknown variables that come with using an old PC. I find old PCs are generally fine until you’re forced to upgrade the hardware or software.

For example, I had to retire one of my old PCs because the graphics card blew up. If it had been a new PC I could have simply replaced the card. But it turned out that the PC used an AGP slot which was considered obsolete, and the handful of vendors still selling AGP cards were charging ridiculous prices for them. The second-hand prices on Ebay were just as crazy. So it was basically uneconomical to repair.

Software can be just as problematic. Most PCs are tied to whatever version of Windows was around when they were manufactured. That’s fine until you need to use some software that requires a newer version of Windows. You then find yourself in a whole world of pain when you try to upgrade Windows and have issues with driver support and poor performance. Microsoft is pretty lousy at supporting old hardware.

Contrast that with a Pi where you basically just need to buy a Pi, put a pre-build image on an SD card, and you’re ready to go. And if the Pi breaks, then you just need to buy a new one of the same generation, and you can be up and running again in a few minutes.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2021, 05:08:38 pm »
So, you do realize that every problem you just described with 20 year old PCs are exactly the same as we will be facing with Pi inevitably, right?  Given the cheap price point, you can easily buy a few spares and toss them in a drawer…. But the problem of scarcity will eventually be the same.

Buy some spares.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2021, 06:59:03 pm »
The scarcity potential for Raspberry Pi is not quite the same as technology that became obsolete long ago like the AGP cards mentioned.  I agree though, stock up on a few parts especially if they are cheap.  Pi tech will continue to develop, users like us are just a tiny niche in the customer base. It's largely a self contained platform.  What do you need? PS, Board, SD Card and maybe a heat-sink.  The real challenges will probably be in porting over any solutions to next Gen Pi 5.  So, you brilliant D.i.Y devs hopefully have a view toward the future.

It's really common for new ideas to cop a lot of nay-say.  It's fine, anything new has to withstand scrutiny (no matter what the motivation).  Despite what has been claimed, new ideas ARE being explored with this effort.

Another nice feature of Pi builds is that they can be easily configured externally to the Pi, i.e. put them in a card reader and edit files and settings.  SD cards are so cheap they put em in cereal boxes.  Ok not really, yet.  :laugh:

I'm going to open a tiny can of worms  >:D One of the key differences for me is the newer MAME build being used here. Yeah I know some people 'love' that old crusty MAME in RetroPie and can't see any difference worth a damn.  That got me thinking.  In terms of improvements, emulation quality, play-ability etc. just how much improvement has there been since the much earlier MAME release in featured in RetroPie?  None?  Some?  Plenty? Examples? I'm excluding all the new work done on non-arcade emulation of course.  In particular the classic games we are focusing on in this build.  I know there have been improvements, I do read the release notes, but a higher level view would be useful.

This is more a question for someone like Haze or other MAME devs, more than just an educated guess in other words...

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2021, 07:00:45 pm »
So, you do realize that every problem you just described with 20 year old PCs are exactly the same as we will be facing with Pi inevitably, right?  Given the cheap price point, you can easily buy a few spares and toss them in a drawer…. But the problem of scarcity will eventually be the same.

Buy some spares.

The Pi has an advantage being a standardized platform. If your 20 year old PC craps out it's going to take quite a bit of time to setup a new one. If your Pi dies, you just pick up a new one of the same type and use the same image you used on the last one. This also allows you to let someone else do all the setup work and just use their image.

It's pretty obvious reading through the build threads on this site that not everyone is into the software side of things.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2021, 08:09:13 pm »
Glad I decided to drop by when I did. Very cool stuff.  :cheers:

A ways back, I got tired of constantly fixing monitors and troubleshooting boards to keep my cabs running. Also got tired of building (and rebuilding) PCs to to use in place of those boards I was tired of fixing. ArcadeSD appeared on the scene and looked to be a clean solution, but was too pricey for my liking. This looks to be the solution I wanted.

Kinda baffled by the controversy - not baffled by the technical aspects, just baffled by the vitriol. WTF would you object to something that so clearly has merit, even if it’s not for you.  :dunno

Ironically, I’m in process on a RetroPie configuration for a living room system so I can sit on the couch and play. It’s great for that, but it certainly isn’t a solution that works for me for cabinets. But then, I got rid of my one - well, two —“cabinet to play them all” long ago in favour of a curated selection of dedicated and limited multi-game cabinets (MultiWilliams, Multi-Exidy, MultiPac, MultiJAMMA a la Clay, 60-in-1).

This looks like a perfect solution to replace my 60-in-1 with a cleaner front-end and better game selection (BluePrint!)I never did get around to rebuilding the PC I was planning to use for the same project. Now, I’m now seriously considering this as a basis for going forward. After that, turn my existing VS dedicated into a VS multi. And a good solution should my MultiWilliams and MultiPac setups fail.

I like it and will follow with keen interest.

:applaud:  :applaud: :applaud:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2021, 08:35:40 pm »
Nowhere in the rules do I see where we have to bow and scrape to get our point across, especially when the person asking the questions ignores advice after admitting that they know little of the subject.

Dude please just stop.  You refuse to understand what this project is about because in your mind Retropie (or Batocera maybe) is the only solution to playing video games with a Raspberry Pi and that is simply not the case.  You aren't giving any "advice" - you are just saying "this is dumb and Retropie is better", which is fine if that's what you think, but it is not helpful.  What would have been helpful is some suggestions on how to improve this specific project.

I was hoping people would want to talk about another potential solution for putting classic games into an arcade cabinet that I was excited about and based on some of the other responses in here people want to try this out.  A few people even commented on my dopey video asking how to get this up and running so I think there is interest.

This is a forum where people meet to discuss what ever the topic is.  Regardless if you get any benefit out of it.  You have been doing it for years, but when someone rains on your "project's" parade you lose it.  Why?

You see when you are working on a project, people will come up to you with a better idea for it. Or advise not to proceed as there is problems with it.  Mostly software creation is greeted with fanfare and expectation. 

Well it is bbegin's project and you are riding on his coattails.  Nice to be a participant but not cool to take ownership of it.  That is belongs to the developer and not the groupie, but I applaud you for your loyalty to the project.

So I did some research of my own, and this rom issue is not the only problem the dev is facing, and that is typical of any software development. 

You get bugs.  You have users that look for bugs and hopefully you quash them only to find you broke something else.

This is a niche solution and will go into obscurity when someone decides to create a Retropie theme that mirrors bbegin's project and everyone will jump to that, as it plays everything nearly under the sun when it comes to retro.

Until then it will be work in progress, and as I have replied above, best of luck to bbegin.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2021, 08:47:19 pm »

The way that you behave on this forum, I would say that you are Ark.

You fit his passive nut job profile. 

You really need to get some professional help.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2021, 08:57:29 pm »

If only.

No kidding. I’ve been back for a minute and I get those “Let me tell you why I hate what you’re doing, whilst I don’t do anything at all” vibes.  ::)

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2021, 09:10:29 pm »

Thanks pbj - I know exactly what you mean.  The PC in my first ever cabinet build is like 20 years old and over the summer I had to do a fair bit of maintenance on it because it wasn't booting properly.  It's gonna die again soon and I might just replace it with this setup.  It only has about 100 games to run on a vertical monitor and this is an extremely easy solution.   Plus, every time I set up a cab it's like I'm learning everything for the first time... :cheers:

This all reminds me of Arcade OS.

It looks very similar to bbegin's project, and you can add Daphne support super easy.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2021, 09:47:56 pm »
This thread was created to promote awareness of an excellent initiative by bbegin.  His original thread on the Raspberry Pi & Dev Board may not be seen by a broader audience.  This thread clearly has bbegin's blessing:

Thanks for the post on the main forum, I appreciate! :)

Voacalitus, you have stated your view several times over now.  Free speech is a given but thread bombing and subtle derailment is not.  You have some useful knowledge of tweaks and variations to other Pi based solutions. I suggest you start your own thread promoting those.  Or if you have anything useful to add instead of just negativity about this initiative, chime in.

If was I influenced by the kinds of comments you make I'd never try to innovate or try variations of existing ideas and wouldn't be a contributor here of much value.  I challenge you to post just ONE project, document it and invite discussion.  That's what we do here.  I'm literally typing this from my workbench as I experiment, fail, make adjustments and carry on.

Give it a rest, take the challenge, but please stop the unhelpful comments.

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2021, 11:44:20 pm »
This guy obviously seems to make it personal, literally. This completely baseless level of hatred and negativity is hardly believable. It's not like it bothers me.

Thank you all for your kind words about this project, you gave me the support and appreciation for me to continue my work of refining and perfecting this image over the time. :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 11:46:57 pm by bbegin »
Personal project:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2021, 01:42:02 am »

If only.

No kidding. I’ve been back for a minute and I get those “Let me tell you why I hate what you’re doing, whilst I don’t do anything at all” vibes.  ::)
Ark gotta Ark.

And there’s no way MikeA is Ark. For one, when Mike goes to ZapCon, he actually TALKS to fellow BYOACers….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2021, 02:14:19 am »

If only.

Ark gotta Ark.

And there’s no way MikeA is Ark. For one, when Mike goes to ZapCon, he actually TALKS to fellow BYOACers….

Good for him.  People say really bad things from a distance yet they are all polite and nice in person.
That says a lot about him.  It also says a lot about you, and I know you, we have met twice at Zapcon.  You were not so nice then.
Remember me now?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2021, 02:16:10 am »

If only.

Ark gotta Ark.

Good for him.  People say really bad things from a distance yet they are all polite and nice in person.
That says a lot about him.  It also says a lot about you, and I know you, we have met twice at Zapcon.  You were not so nice then.
Remember me now?

---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. I’ve never been “not nice” to anyone at ZapCon.

Mods, need more evidence?

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2021, 02:20:04 am »
This thread was created to promote awareness of an excellent initiative by bbegin.  His original thread on the Raspberry Pi & Dev Board may not be seen by a broader audience.  This thread clearly has bbegin's blessing:

Thanks for the post on the main forum, I appreciate! :)

Voacalitus, you have stated your view several times over now.  Free speech is a given but thread bombing and subtle derailment is not.  You have some useful knowledge of tweaks and variations to other Pi based solutions. I suggest you start your own thread promoting those.  Or if you have anything useful to add instead of just negativity about this initiative, chime in.

If was I influenced by the kinds of comments you make I'd never try to innovate or try variations of existing ideas and wouldn't be a contributor here of much value.  I challenge you to post just ONE project, document it and invite discussion.  That's what we do here.  I'm literally typing this from my workbench as I experiment, fail, make adjustments and carry on.

Give it a rest, take the challenge, but please stop the unhelpful comments.

Yes Sir!  :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2021, 02:38:00 am »
Yeah. That Zapcon comment. Definitely Ark.
Can the mods please toss that sack of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---
out?

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2021, 02:59:24 am »

If only.

Ark gotta Ark.

Remember me now?

---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. I’ve never been “not nice” to anyone at ZapCon.

I even had a lady friend with me and at the time we had to leave because you upset her too with your comments towards me.
You really are a piece of work.  The highlight was chatting with Delusional as he was really nice and pleasant, as was the fellow BYOACers.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2021, 03:03:29 am »
Yeah. That Zapcon comment. Definitely Ark.
Can the mods please toss that sack of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---
out?

Rule Number 1 as Saint said Mike.  You have to follow Saint's rules, as does the rest of you do.  ::)

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2021, 03:27:45 am »
I'm going to open a tiny can of worms  >:D One of the key differences for me is the newer MAME build being used here. Yeah I know some people 'love' that old crusty MAME in RetroPie and can't see any difference worth a damn.  That got me thinking.  In terms of improvements, emulation quality, play-ability etc. just how much improvement has there been since the much earlier MAME release in featured in RetroPie?  None?  Some?  Plenty? Examples? I'm excluding all the new work done on non-arcade emulation of course.  In particular the classic games we are focusing on in this build.  I know there have been improvements, I do read the release notes, but a higher level view would be useful.

This is more a question for someone like Haze or other MAME devs, more than just an educated guess in other words...

The Mamedevs have their own work to do, and to be honest about previous releases, we do not really want to know about old versions of MAME.  I'm sure David would like to talk to you at length on why they don't.

The question about improvements is based more with plug and play than arcade accuracy.  Kids today just want to download a torrent, write it a MicroSD card and just game.  I would say there is already too much confusion over different mame sets, and I think there is a sticky on this very issue.  Nobody likes to tinker, thus bbegin's project.  He wants a simplified version.  Retropie is not just for arcade, but for old computers and gaming consoles.  I play more Demon Attack than MsPacman.  The work is evolving with regards to RetroPie, as it is very much in demand.  Things that are free are like that.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2021, 05:42:28 am »
The very first paragraph of this thread states specifically NO RETROPIE and that the intent of this Pi image and build setup is for an arcade only machine and yet we still get someone devoid of manners perseverating on unproductive commentary entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Now if it were ME living under a bridge eating unsuspecting passersby I would push the broken record player aside and make room for a table where I could develop my OWN plan for creating something that has nothing to do with this thread- and so start my own!

And then probably get mad when some disrespectful trogolodyte keeps posting disparaging remarks about anyone who has another idea or opinion.

Or... I could just take some crazy pills and buy into it all.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2021, 06:07:17 am »
Bobby.

He is a former member who was kicked out of here before.

He slithered his way back in here under a different name.

Hopefully the mods sweep him back out with the trash and mend this thread so it can continue constructively.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2021, 08:15:54 am »
The very first paragraph of this thread states specifically NO RETROPIE and that the intent of this Pi image and build setup is for an arcade only machine and yet we still get someone devoid of manners perseverating on unproductive commentary entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Now if it were ME living under a bridge eating unsuspecting passersby I would push the broken record player aside and make room for a table where I could develop my OWN plan for creating something that has nothing to do with this thread- and so start my own!

And then probably get mad when some disrespectful trogolodyte keeps posting disparaging remarks about anyone who has another idea or opinion.

Or... I could just take some crazy pills and buy into it all.

I can totally relate to that part of your post.  I made my point, apologized to those who was offended.  I also suggested assisting with the project.

I didn't see the Retropie part of the first post but it is in caps.  My bad.  I hate to see people interested in projects then see them fizzle out when there is a easier alternative.

But as usual in this forum whenever someone makes a negative comment all the crazies come oozing out of their holes.  They just appear out of nowhere.

As a long time lurker and recent poster, I can categorically state that this is one of the most open and welcoming forums ever encountered. 

The kind owner of the site seems to tolerates these vulgar outbursts, from a certain individual and there is nothing you can do about that.

I would put the reason down to lack of interest in the hobby, especially when someone has a different view, or has some personal problems.

I will no longer continue on the subject, as it is attracting the wrong kind of attention.

I liked your post and wanted to comment on it.  :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2021, 09:12:22 am »
Glad I decided to drop by when I did. Very cool stuff.  :cheers:

A ways back, I got tired of constantly fixing monitors and troubleshooting boards to keep my cabs running. Also got tired of building (and rebuilding) PCs to to use in place of those boards I was tired of fixing. ArcadeSD appeared on the scene and looked to be a clean solution, but was too pricey for my liking. This looks to be the solution I wanted.

Kinda baffled by the controversy - not baffled by the technical aspects, just baffled by the vitriol. WTF would you object to something that so clearly has merit, even if it’s not for you.  :dunno

Ironically, I’m in process on a RetroPie configuration for a living room system so I can sit on the couch and play. It’s great for that, but it certainly isn’t a solution that works for me for cabinets. But then, I got rid of my one - well, two —“cabinet to play them all” long ago in favour of a curated selection of dedicated and limited multi-game cabinets (MultiWilliams, Multi-Exidy, MultiPac, MultiJAMMA a la Clay, 60-in-1).

This looks like a perfect solution to replace my 60-in-1 with a cleaner front-end and better game selection (BluePrint!)I never did get around to rebuilding the PC I was planning to use for the same project. Now, I’m now seriously considering this as a basis for going forward. After that, turn my existing VS dedicated into a VS multi. And a good solution should my MultiWilliams and MultiPac setups fail.

I like it and will follow with keen interest.

:applaud:  :applaud: :applaud:

You are right on the money.  This all started because I (foolishly) decided to build TWO cabinets at the same time for Christmas presents this year for my nieces and nephews.  I needed a solution that was kid proof (no menus and no way to access/change settings without a keyboard), relatively cheap, reliable and it only needed to play classic games (mostly from the early 80s).  They live 300 miles away and my brother-in-law doesn't know the first thing about this stuff - if something goes wrong it will not be fixable.

I started looking into the 60-in-1 boards but the more I read the worse of a solution it seemed to be plus there were a few must haves that the board didn't have so that was out.  The other suggested options (MiSTer, ArcadeSD, Arpicade all look like fantastic solutions but they are too pricey for this project though I do plan on getting a MiSTer eventually for personal use). 

Then I found bbegin's project and thought hmmm... all I really need is MAME... if I could get it to look and behave how I wanted it would be a perfect solution.  The pi is cheap and so are microSD cards.  If something goes wrong, all you have to do is replace the card and you are up and running again - I plan to deliver 2 copies of the microSD card all set up with each cabinet just in case.  I found FrizzleFried's ArcadeSD theme for Attract Mode and was off to the races.  bbegin patiently answered my questions and tweaked things until he got it to behave exactly like I envisioned - he's a great guy and an asset to the community.

This was never intended to be a replacement for anything else (though I think it can completely replace the 60-in-1 :laugh:) and not all games will run properly - I have tried about 75 games so far and only found 1 that didn't run - but I do believe it is a perfect solution for a simple set up running only classic games.   :cheers:

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2021, 09:17:00 am »
I hate to see people interested in projects then see them fizzle out when there is a easier alternative.

The goal is a better solution and I think, with the weight of those who have chimed in in favour, that is what this is. My thanks to bbegin for his efforts and to javeryh for making me aware of this better, not easier, solution.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2021, 09:25:51 am »

Good to see you back.  Funny how things around here never change with some people, huh?   ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2021, 10:36:56 am »

If only.

Ark gotta Ark.

Remember me now?

I even had a lady friend with me and at the time we had to leave because you upset her too with your comments towards me.
You really are a piece of work.  The highlight was chatting with Delusional as he was really nice and pleasant, as was the fellow BYOACers.

Yeah, that never happened.

What an odd lie. I’ve never had a single negative interaction at ZapCon. In fact, I go out of my way to make sure that every single person that comes to the show is welcome there. So keep on lying about being at ZapCon - it’s par for the course.

csnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2021, 11:36:18 am »
[I have tried about 75 games so far and only found 1 that didn't run - but I do believe it is a perfect solution for a simple set up running only classic games.   :cheers:

Thanks for your post, I, for one, appreciate it greatly.  I want to do a dedicated 2-way/4 way horizontal cabinet for classis like Ghost and Goblins, Ghouls and Ghosts, Zookeeper, Popeye, etc  that just are horrid with an 8 way.  Would you mind testing those and maybe Track-N-Field since that is also an all-time favorite horizontal game.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:54:31 am by csnow »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2021, 01:22:32 pm »
[I have tried about 75 games so far and only found 1 that didn't run - but I do believe it is a perfect solution for a simple set up running only classic games.   :cheers:

Thanks for your post, I, for one, appreciate it greatly.  I want to do a dedicated 2-way/4 way horizontal cabinet for classis like Ghost and Goblins, Ghouls and Ghosts, Zookeeper, Popeye, etc  that just are horrid with an 8 way.  Would you mind testing those and maybe Track-N-Field since that is also an all-time favorite horizontal game.

OK I tried a few games people were curious about in here.  Ghosts n Goblins and Ghouls n Ghosts appear to work just fine.  Popeye has a sound glitch when the game starts and Popeye himself has a black box around him when he gets it so I would put this in the "no" category (it seems playable but not perfect).  Track and Field seems to work.  Ninja Baseball Batman also worked but Killer instinct wouldn't even launch.  In fact, just having this rom on the memory card slowed everything down, including the front end.  All I did was copy the kinst.zip file into the roms folder - not sure if there is a special BIOS required.  I don't ever play this game.

Here are some quick videos.  Note that I did zero tweaking and don't really know anything about these games like if special settings make them run better or something like that.  I do not have this connected to a joystick yet either - I'm trying (and failing) to use a keyboard to move while holding my phone to record.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2021, 01:52:51 pm »
Quote from: javeryh link=topic=164728.msg1735954#msg1735954

The dream is actual MAME on a pi with an extremely simple GUI and no other garbage...

Actually that is well.... was my dream too

Dude’s whole post history is full of deception and contradiction.  :dizzy:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2021, 02:20:05 pm »
Quote from: javeryh link=topic=164728.msg1735954#msg1735954

The dream is actual MAME on a pi with an extremely simple GUI and no other garbage...

Actually that is well.... was my dream too

Dude’s whole post history is full of deception and contradiction.  :dizzy:
Exactly. Why make up the lies about ZapCon? What are you hoping to gain? Unless he knew he was cornered and just figured he’d go out guns blazing.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2021, 02:37:39 pm »
Killer instinct wouldn't even launch.  In fact, just having this rom on the memory card slowed everything down, including the front end.  All I did was copy the kinst.zip file into the roms folder - not sure if there is a special BIOS required.
Killer Instinct also needs the unzipped 92MB "kinst.chd" file in a "kinst" sub-folder under the "roms" folder where you put the zipped 4MB "kinst.zip" ROM file.

ROM file:
\mame\roms\kinst.zip

CHD file:
\mame\roms\kinst\kinst.chd

Scott
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 02:51:33 pm by PL1 »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2021, 06:26:55 pm »
I didn't see it mentioned however there is a lot of trash posted in this thread getting in the way of the good stuff.

There was a recent bios update for the rpi4 and rp400 that lets you boot and run the OS from an SSD using a cheap usb3 to SSD adaptor.
no extra power needed.
no Sdcard to tell it to boot off usb needed either.

I have my 2gb rpi4 hooked up now and it's fast to boot and load stuff.
not doing arcade with it (amiga 500 stuff).
I imagine compile times for something like this would go noticeably faster.

also, had zero idea mame had it's own front end like in op's video.
is that new?
I was playing around with the latest version of mame last spring and only saw the text front end.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 06:41:11 pm by nitrogen_widget »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2021, 07:03:30 pm »
I didn't see it mentioned however there is a lot of trash posted in this thread getting in the way of the good stuff.

There was a recent bios update for the rpi4 and rp400 that lets you boot and run the OS from an SSD using a cheap usb3 to SSD adaptor.
no extra power needed.
no Sdcard to tell it to boot off usb needed either.

I have my 2gb rpi4 hooked up now and it's fast to boot and load stuff.
not doing arcade with it (amiga 500 stuff).
I imagine compile times for something like this would go noticeably faster.

also, had zero idea mame had it's own front end like in op's video.
is that new?
I was playing around with the latest version of mame last spring and only saw the text front end.

That's good info - speeding things up is always a plus.

The front end is Attract Mode, not MAME.  bbegin's image comes with regular MAME front-end/menu plus AdvanceMENU and Attract Mode as proper front ends.  I haven't tested AdvanceMENU but Attract Mode works as expected.  You can put whatever theme you want in the layout folder and it should work.  My goal was to get something like ArcadeSD up and running, which is why I chose that theme.   :cheers:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2021, 08:43:03 pm »

That's good info - speeding things up is always a plus.

The front end is Attract Mode, not MAME.  bbegin's image comes with regular MAME front-end/menu plus AdvanceMENU and Attract Mode as proper front ends.  I haven't tested AdvanceMENU but Attract Mode works as expected.  You can put whatever theme you want in the layout folder and it should work.  My goal was to get something like ArcadeSD up and running, which is why I chose that theme.   :cheers:

i'm so out of touch with rpi stuff.
only just got back into mine with the weather turning yucky.

I have a new SSD coming to put this image on.
I think last yr i put killer instinct on the pi4 and it was laggy.
however i didn't realize until later on that mame was running at 1080p
so it might work at a lower res.

or there is this backasswords method.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2021, 08:28:34 pm »
I have a couple of Pi3 "ARpiCADE" setups and a 4P Pi4 setup.  I love `em.

The Pi4 handles many NAOMI/Dreamcast games with little to no lag via flycast.

Good stuff.

Name a game... I'll try to get some vid.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2021, 09:57:58 am »

Good stuff.

Hey man thanks for that theme!  I love it. 

Are you using the Raspberry Jamma or just an ARpiCADE image?  Looks like it comes with Attract Mode so I assume you can change the look however you want similar to what we are doing with this project.  I would be curious to see how it boots and what it is like scrolling through games, starting something, exiting out, etc.   :cheers:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2021, 09:05:58 am »
Sure... I'll get some footage shortly. 

I am using ARpiCADE builds.  Custom romlists/etc of course...

:)

EDIT: Here is an old video I made a while back of my Pi3 Vertical setup...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:08:41 am by FrizzleFried »

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2021, 11:43:11 am »
Pi zero 2 seems capable too, its very small.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2021, 07:58:58 pm »
Pi zero 2 seems capable too, its very small.

I just saw this was released.
benchmarks show it's same as a pi2 but can get closer to pi3 if you overclock.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2021, 11:56:13 am »
I was stocked for this, but I guess my enthusiasm was premature.  I cant seem to find a CRT solution that incorporates the Pi 4.  Is there something that my Google skills failed to reveal?

bbegin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2021, 04:16:30 pm »
I was stocked for this, but I guess my enthusiasm was premature.  I cant seem to find a CRT solution that incorporates the Pi 4.  Is there something that my Google skills failed to reveal?

Would it be what you're looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Compatible-Tablets-Ultrabooks-Camcorders/dp/B088TJKX8J/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=2G3F2DTAWY0A5&dchild=1&keywords=micro+HDMI-to-VGA+Adapters&qid=1635624728&sprefix=micro+hdmi-to-vga+adapters
Personal project:

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2021, 10:32:27 am »
The ARpiCADE is about as close to plug n play as you're going to find I suspect... IF said CRT is standard resolution that is.

www.arpicade.com

slybunda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2021, 03:21:17 pm »

Good stuff.

Can it run fist of the north star on dreamcast/atomiswave?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2021, 10:27:48 am »
Yeah... this is raw.  I was going to edit it for time... and content... and try to make it look all nice and semi-professional but when I saw the quality of the video this old crappy video cam puts out I just gave up on the idea.  I was originally going link this video from my blog post on this project.... meh... I think I'll do a little investigating and maybe pick up a new video camera (BLACK FRIDAY!) and re-shoot that.

But... for anyone interested... here you go.

NOTE: the "circular bullseye" looking rings on the video are not visible to the naked eye.  Nor is the horizontal line that runs from bottom to top.  That line is caused by the refresh rate of the camera and monitor matching.  Things get really funky when I demo NBA Jam.   NBA Jam doesn't run at quite the same refresh rate as all the other games... the result is interesting (and also of course NOT seen by the naked eye).

Next video will be more ... quality. 

PS: I started the video at the exact same time as I powered up the cabinet... so load time is from the moment the video starts...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2021, 11:11:13 am »
Yeah... this is raw.  I was going to edit it for time... and content... and try to make it look all nice and semi-professional but when I saw the quality of the video this old crappy video cam puts out I just gave up on the idea.  I was originally going link this video from my blog post on this project.... meh... I think I'll do a little investigating and maybe pick up a new video camera (BLACK FRIDAY!) and re-shoot that.

But... for anyone interested... here you go.

NOTE: the "circular bullseye" looking rings on the video are not visible to the naked eye.  Nor is the horizontal line that runs from bottom to top.  That line is caused by the refresh rate of the camera and monitor matching.  Things get really funky when I demo NBA Jam.   NBA Jam doesn't run at quite the same refresh rate as all the other games... the result is interesting (and also of course NOT seen by the naked eye).

Next video will be more ... quality. 

PS: I started the video at the exact same time as I powered up the cabinet... so load time is from the moment the video starts...

Video is unavailable for me (private)... anyone else having this issue?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2021, 11:44:56 am »
fixed....durr... sorry.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2021, 12:49:09 pm »
NOTE: the "circular bullseye" looking rings on the video are not visible to the naked eye.
https://xkcd.com/1814/

"♫ When the spacing is tight / And the difference is slight / That's a moiré ♫"   :lol

Scott

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2021, 09:11:28 am »
The ARpiCADE is about as close to plug n play as you're going to find I suspect... IF said CRT is standard resolution that is.

www.arpicade.com
I bought a couple and could never get them working.  Does the ARpiCade support the Pi4?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2021, 12:17:01 pm »
They do have a Pi3 and a Pi4 setup.  The video is of my Pi4 rig.