Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Video game ideas, and old games that should be remade  (Read 11900 times)

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
Video game ideas, and old games that should be remade
« on: October 16, 2021, 02:15:40 pm »
I know that in this day of video games, having an idea means nothing if you can't back it up yourself. But I have had some pretty cool ideas over the years and although I have a pretty basic understanding of game creation I tend to never work with other people who manage to fulfill the role they have agreed to.

Anyways, I used to have this RPG manual https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Ninja_(role-playing_game) and loved iut to bits. I really was heavy into martial arts as a kid growing up in the 80s and spent years in tiger style kung fu. Not because it's a very practical fighting form, but because it's over the top, fast, and flashy - I had planned on making it into a career working in film as a bad guy or fight choreographer. Anyways...

I think a cool idea for a game would be similar to Hitman, but instead of disguises and guns, you played as a ninja in modern times using old-world methods for corporate espionage, spying, assassination, kidnapping. Multiplayer could totally work for this idea, as could single player. Realistic things like getting shot puts you down and stealth would be a huge part of it. Kinda like the original splinter cell games. Maybe pick your equipment before a mission like in Tenchu.

And for the second part of my post, what are some games you think are due for a reboot? I think that there's only one reason to remake a game or movie - and that's the ideas couldn't be believably backed up by the technology of the time. Why remake a bad movie if it's bad? Why remake a classic masterpiece if it's already good? I know the real answer is someone thinks they can squeeze some more money out of it.

A remake that really works for me is The Fly - the original had good ideas but not the technology to make it believable.
Resident evil 2 was A PERFECT remake. RE3, not so much. They kind of missed the point on that one.

But for me, I'd love to see Paradroid remade, Airborne Ranger, and maybe Technocop from the C64.

Do you have any great ideas for games, or what would you like to see a proper remake of?

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Video game ideas, and old games that should be remade
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 05:55:04 am »
I like Twin Kingdom Valley for the Electon.

That should be remade as a modern RPG.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 09:54:27 am »
There are a ton of old console games that I think should be remade with modern graphics and music.  Companies do this but they always eff it up because they change the controls or the core of the game somehow.  Having recently played Metroid Dread and absolutely loving it, it would be so cool if they remade Zero Mission, Fusion, Super and Samus Returns in the exact same style.  Yeah, Super Metroid is arguably perfect already but still, I think it would be neat to see the entire series as one cohesive thing.

I would also love to see Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons remade in the style of Link's Awakening on Switch.  That was a fantastic remake - they didn't change anything but the coat of paint and some QoL features.

Or, just give me 100+ new, well-designed, levels for Pac-Man!  Don't have to change a thing.  :laugh:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 12:29:17 pm »
I'd like to see the original 2 Metal Gear Games get the MGS treatment. They are great games, but feel so disjointed from the rest of the series simply because the technology restraints of the time. It came close to happening on an indie level, apparently. Even with full David Hayter voice-over.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 12:31:25 pm »
I concur that Paradroid is a great game, but I'm not sure how it could be improved with a remake beyond new maps, fancy graphics and maybe some better menu/options choices.

I still play original Paradroid fairly often. It translates well to an arcade cab.
Check out my completed projects!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 05:50:17 pm »
 :cheers: Paradroid is killer.

Oh, and I bet I could think up a ton of pretty fun improvements to the game. The real question is would you want to change up the formula at all? It might make it into an entirely different game.

For example, I could see a real benefit to really defining different components the droids have, and making that change very apparent in how you play. Legs, arms, eyes, etc. For example, for legs you can have wheels, treads, hover, etc., and make changing up your droid more critical to how you play, like spider legs can walk up walls.

Then a choice between hijacking an entire droid for a limited time, or trying to retrofit your own 001 droid with a different components. Make your 001 wear down and need to be kept up. One of your legs get blasted off? Well, hijack that maintenance droids wheels and attach them to your droid instead.

Maybe add some upgrade/ability expansion concept to make hijacking a droid 500 digits above your own a little more evened out. Like if you manage to hijack a 711 droid, you can't use it's EMP attack  until your Paradroid is upgraded enough to control level 700 weaponry.

Then we can tinker with the concept that your paradroid has a human brain, so you have a very fragile organic tissue that needs to be protected. The stress put on your brain affects how long you can hijack other droids for, and how much time you have to perform transfers. Maybe a critical shot made on your brain forces you to eject, and the droid you hijacked comes back to life. 

Having an element where the ship is flying towards to a mars colony or something to destroy the people there could add an element where you have to play against the clock, or have a need to hijack the ship itself to prevent it from accomplishing it's objective. Maybe you have to get to various decks to sabotage weapons, shields, hyperdrive, etc.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 06:11:56 pm »
I want to get more done on my 2D platformer 'Metropolis'  :hissy:.  GameMaker Studio is my chosen dev platform.  Easier than Unity and I like the way you can develop sprite routines in particular.  Any one here a legendary expert in GameMaker Studio?   :cheers:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 06:52:50 pm »
Technocop is an intriguing choice, there’s a good game in there somewhere.

A couple of the Freescape games always stuck with me, very creative given their constraints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freescape

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 09:48:59 pm »
:cheers: Paradroid is killer.

Oh, and I bet I could think up a ton of pretty fun improvements to the game. The real question is would you want to change up the formula at all? It might make it into an entirely different game.

One thing I've always wanted with Paradroid is to be able to see the droids etc from side-on. You always have a top-down viewpoint. The only time you see droids from the side is in the artwork, not in the actual game. However, I understand isometric might not work so well all the time too. The ability to change your view would be an awesome step forward.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 03:55:39 pm »
Another one that would really go well with a modern update would be Below the Root. Played the heck out of that game when I was a kid.

Any one here a legendary expert in GameMaker Studio?   :cheers:

Nope but I'd be happy to help tinker with your problems if you care to collaborate again after all this time.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 08:09:00 pm »
Sewer Shark was a great game on the mildly expensive 3DO system.

That should be remade as a green environmental friendly game where you have to beat the clock in a maze game to dump the largest amount of effluent into your nearest river or aqueduct.

OK I know the original game was crap, but the title is relevant today, we can have sharks with frickin laser beams too.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 10:59:43 pm »

Any one here a legendary expert in GameMaker Studio?   :cheers:

Nope but I'd be happy to help tinker with your problems if you care to collaborate again after all this time.

Absolutely!  That was so much fun.  A game like I'm thinking of is much more achievable than 'that' project  ;D.  I know you've done some game design (more than I have) so in the coming days I'll pitch what I've got so far - see what you think.  :cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 11:50:11 pm »
Finish a project before starting a new one, Ond.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 01:17:57 am »
Yesss Jim, you're not gonna bee in my bonnet about not finishing stuff are ya?! The game design project was started months ago, then put on hold.  You know I'm only really working on Pac-Man Legion at the moment.  There's no harm in sharing an idea with eds1275.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 02:40:17 am »
Yesss Jim, you're not gonna bee in my bonnet about not finishing stuff are ya?! The game design project was started months ago, then put on hold.  You know I'm only really working on Pac-Man Legion at the moment.  There's no harm in sharing an idea with eds1275.

You always finish your projects and this awesome project I was following is now dead?

That is disappointing..  Please finish it.

I understand that life gets in the way sometimes...

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 05:55:27 am »
Sharing ideas and collaboration is the stuff of innovation. I'm all for it.

As for abandoning projects, well it happens sometimes. You should not bother finishing something if you've lost the heart for it, or are fundamentally disappointed in some way. Just scrap it, start again if you must. Great artists produce great works, not mediocre works.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 09:34:54 am »
I want to get more done on my 2D platformer 'Metropolis'  :hissy:.  GameMaker Studio is my chosen dev platform.  Easier than Unity and I like the way you can develop sprite routines in particular.  Any one here a legendary expert in GameMaker Studio?   :cheers:

GameMaker, no. Godot, yes.  ;D

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 01:34:35 pm »

GameMaker, no. Godot, yes.  ;D

Awesome, It's good to know where the game designers are on the forum.  The various platforms all share much in common in terms of development methods. I chose GameMaker Studio because of the sprite workflow and available tutorials for that process.

Just for the record I'm not abandoning any projects,  there are no projects of mine that are 'dead' some people need to read what I've said more carefully  :lol

PBJ has a (irritating) point. I start lots of projects and hop from one to the other without finishing one first.  That's just me, I like to work that way. I've said it before, I get easily bored of working on just one thing.  With multiple projects on the go I tend to progress my favorite one more regularly.  Right now my favorite one IS Pac-Man Legion. Importantly, the hobby is more fun for me these days than in past years.  I need it to relax, it's like therapy.  I don't care if I finish or not, but I care a lot about being able to continue in my happy space.  The output is woodwork, shared ideas, painting methods, build info, designs etc. etc. 

A final little comment and i'll get off my  :soapbox:   If you want to criticize my project completion progress (or lack of it) for me to take you at all seriously, you need to be a current builder yourself.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 04:15:17 pm »
Ond, I think it is appropriate you want to develop a platform game named "Metropolis", especially as you have already done a Metropolis-themed cab.

I liked the curved sides on the monitor bay so much I stole your idea for a couple of half-finished cabs of my own. Yes, stalled projects but not dead. I got busy with GreenAntz and lost momentum, still looking for it (might be under the junk on my desk?). Fortunately I was too lazy to start a build thread, otherwise people might be hassling me about it.

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:23:54 am
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 04:54:44 pm »
I’ve been focussed on making rom hacks for Donkey Kong so they can be played on my DK cabinet.  The rom hacks integrate with the frontend seamlessly so the frontend becomes part of the gameplay and is aware of your scores and progress in each of the mini-games.  I think this is a fairly unique approach to a frontend.  I have developed the FE as if it were a game itself. 

Here’s a video to show gameplay.  My machine boots straight into it on Rasp Pi4.  The video shows Windows as it was simpler for my recording purposes. Skip forward in the video to see each of the game variants if you don’t feel like watching the whole thing :)

My rom hacks are mostly tweaks to the original machine code using the original rom disassembly as reference -  https://github.com/furrykef/dkdasm/blob/master/dkong.asm
 I have also extended the rom capability by hooking it up with LUA and I have created enhancement plugins.  I learned a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- ton about MAME, C++, LUA in the process.

The frontend gameplay is developed entirely in Python using the pygame library.
The whole thing has taken about 1 year of development,  mostly lunch breaks and late nights!

I’m ready for a new project soon.
I’d like to make a game from scratch and have been thinking about writing an arcade game as if it were to be played on Arcade hardware such as z80.  So a blank canvas.  I’d also like the game to run as a MAME rom would.  I do work better when the boundaries for development are constrained.

Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 05:24:52 pm »
Can you make me a version of the Donkey Kong rom that makes the following changes:

Title screen says "Konkey Dong"
It says "Entendo" instead of "Nintendo"
"How high can you get" is replaced with "It's on like konkey dong"
And the level order is changed so that the first set is reversed and starts on the cement factory level
It would also be fun to have what used to be the first screen flipped so you were running right to left

I had someone make changes 1-3 for me years ago, but I wish I had implemented 4.  5 would be a nice mind screw.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 05:57:03 pm by pbj »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:23:54 am
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 06:01:46 pm »
Can you make me a version of the Donkey Kong rom that makes the following changes:

And the level order is changed so that the first set is reversed and starts on the cement factory level
It would also be fun what used to be the first scree

I had someone make changes 1-3 for me years ago, but I wish I had implemented 4.  5 would be a nice mind screw.

Yes,  sure,  I’ve already looked into changing the order of stages.  DK triggers all the end of level stuff after completions of rivets so will have to switch that to barrels.  Order in reverse would be rivets, springs, cement, barrels but I could swap rivets with cement if preferred.
Edit - A reverse board could be doable by using the hardware flip which mirrors the screen.  Would be whacky to have that first screen flipped.  Like the idea.  I’ll take a look.

On like Konkey Dong.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:19:38 pm by 10yard »
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 06:54:15 pm »
A final little comment and i'll get off my  :soapbox:   If you want to criticize my project completion progress (or lack of it) for me to take you at all seriously, you need to be a current builder yourself.

I'm building - its not just going very well. 

Measure once, measure twice, and measure again and cut.

The poor workman blames his tools.

His tools are not cutting straight either.  :lol

Maybe you can have pity on us and create a side topic about wood working tools in your master projects.  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:55:53 pm by Vocalitus »

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 06:58:06 pm »

It would also be fun to have what used to be the first screen flipped so you were running right to left

Uh oh! not the infamous Konkey Dong?   :lol

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2021, 04:12:15 pm »
Buzz off, Ark.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2021, 07:31:47 pm »
Buzz off, Ark.
Remember when he got banned? Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2021, 10:02:32 pm »
Buzz off, Ark.

I really enjoy seeing the "You are ignoring this user" bit myself actually.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2021, 10:03:13 pm »
Buzz off, Ark.

I actually enjoy seeing the "You are ignoring this user" bit myself actually.
I’ve been ignoring him since he got banned. ;)

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2021, 03:17:01 am »
Buzz off, Ark.

Can you explain that one to me please?

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2021, 07:42:48 am »
Buzz off, Ark.

Heh, I didn’t initially twig that he might be ark_ader. But now you mention it, all the signs are there.

Another little clue from this thread is that apparently he’d like to see a remake of Twin Kingdom Valley for the Electon. I presume by “Electon” he means the Acorn Electron which was a home computer sold in the UK in the 80s. I don’t believe many Electrons were sold outside the UK.

That’s relevant because Ark claims he grew up in the UK....
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2021, 08:33:26 am »
Buzz off, Ark.

Heh, I didn’t initially twig that he might be ark_ader. But now you mention it, all the signs are there.

Another little clue from this thread is that apparently he’d like to see a remake of Twin Kingdom Valley for the Electon. I presume by “Electon” he means the Acorn Electron which was a home computer sold in the UK in the 80s. I don’t believe many Electrons were sold outside the UK.

That’s relevant because Ark claims he grew up in the UK....

I went to private school in Edgware London for four years.  I owned an Acorn Electron and later an Amiga.

That doesn't qualify me as being a nutjob.  In your eyes it does I guess.

I played Twin Kingdom Valley as it was given to me as a Christmas Present.  I still have the cassette as well as Elite.

I read all of Arkader's posts and that person deserved to be banned.  No respect.

What I drew a comparison to was the fact the guy knew his stuff.

I know my stuff and that probably upsets you guys.  It upsets me to be compared to like that.

You should apologize.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2021, 10:48:26 am »
That doesn't qualify me as being a nutjob.  In your eyes it does I guess.

Woah. I never described you (or ark_ader) as a nutjob. I’m not into internet name calling. I just note the fact that the way you express yourself on this forum is remarkably similar to the way that ark_ader used to. I also note that both you and Ark claim to be team leaders in the IT industry, and to have grown up in the UK.

None of that is conclusive of course. But it is nevertheless highly suggestive.

I honestly don’t care whether you’re ark_ader or not, and I don’t really have a problem with banned members re-registering under another name. I just find it mildly amusing. That’s all.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2021, 11:39:28 am »
I don’t really have a problem with banned members re-registering under another name. I just find it mildly amusing. That’s all.

I do. There’s a specific reason why they’re banned, and unfortunately they never seem to learn from the banning. They just come back and repeat the same bad behavior. We saw that plenty of times with Kaneda (Eff that guy) across various forums.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2021, 05:18:45 pm »
I don’t really have a problem with banned members re-registering under another name. I just find it mildly amusing. That’s all.

I do. There’s a specific reason why they’re banned, and unfortunately they never seem to learn from the banning. They just come back and repeat the same bad behavior. We saw that plenty of times with Kaneda (Eff that guy) across various forums.

People are doomed to repeat their mistakes until they break the cycle. Generally speaking, you can't escape from yourself without some serious personal effort.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2021, 05:21:53 pm »

People are doomed to repeat their mistakes until they break the cycle. Generally speaking, you can't escape from yourself without some serious personal effort.
Sadly, experience shows that most people that get banned from forums don’t seemed to be interested in learning from their mistakes, but instead take on a victim complex.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2021, 05:32:05 pm »
This is getting wildly off topic.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2021, 05:57:44 pm »
Lets get back on topic again :D

@ eds1275 - I got your message and replied.  I'm excited to have a game development project in the queue. It's impressive to see the game modding and work done by 10yard.  I remember the original post showing that work.

From what I've seen writing a basic 2D platformer with a few levels and basic sprites is quite easy.  YouTube is full of examples.  It's a lot more work to create something with pleasing/challenging physics, game rules, depth, graphics quality and sound.  I want a game that has cool sprite design and animation, that will be hard work no doubt about it.

Hacking an original does not interest me for my idea, but could be fun for other things.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2021, 01:15:12 pm »
I want a game that has cool sprite design and animation, that will be hard work no doubt about it.

Can confirm. Pixel art animation especially is surprisingly nuanced and challenging.

On that note, I recently picked up the Richard Williams book, The Animator's Survival Kit in an effort to start learning the basics of character animations. There is an amazing amount of detail to cover.  :dizzy:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:17:35 pm by shponglefan »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2021, 06:51:00 pm »
I was never banned but no one ever figured out who my alt-accounts were. Pretending to be someone else is super easy.

I'd like a 2 player simultaneous Galaga, cocktail style, where player 1 is at the bottom of the screen and player 2 is at the top. Mobs come in from the sides or "up from the background". Tug of war scoring leader after X number of stages gets power ups like tractor beaming a bug to fight along side you, or a second ship, etc etc
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2021, 07:18:51 pm »
I was never banned but no one ever figured out who my alt-accounts were. Pretending to be someone else is super easy.

That's escaping moderators, not escaping yourself  ;)

Never assume that because nobody has said anything that nobody has noticed :D