Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ATTN Paint Pros: Wet Sanding Rustoleum Satin Black?  (Read 3828 times)

601 Arcades

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2022, 07:01:08 pm
  • I build my own arcade controls all the time!
ATTN Paint Pros: Wet Sanding Rustoleum Satin Black?
« on: October 11, 2021, 06:52:01 am »
Hey everyone! So I've been restoring a cabinet, and usually I use a foam roller and brushes to paint the cab. This year my wife got me an HVLP sprayer and I actually sprayed a cab for the first time ever! Overall I'm happy, but there are a few spots where my wrist wasn't quite as steady and I got a touch of orange peel.

I know of people wet sanding and making them look as smooth as laminate, but I have no clue how that's done, and if you can even do it with oil based paints.

I shot 2 kinda thick coats of Killz Original (oil) and 2 kinda thick coats of Rustoleum Satin Black (oil too).

Can some one tell me if this is possible to smooth down some of the rougher spots, and if it is doable, explain the process please?

What I know: Wet the cab, use high grit sandpaper (ie 1500-3000) but that's the extent of what I know about it. lol

Thank you in advance!
Ms Pacman (All Original)
Galaga (All Original)
Dragon's Lair (Original Hardware/Reproduction Cabinet By Me)
WIP Centipede Cabaret (Original Hardware/Reproduction Cabinet By Me)
WIP Robotron Mini (Original Hardware/Reproduction Cabinet By Me)
WIP Multi-Williams