Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Do I need to use an old PS/2 IPAC?  (Read 2022 times)

jbserra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2023, 12:03:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Do I need to use an old PS/2 IPAC?
« on: October 07, 2021, 01:01:58 pm »
I have an old hard drive from a mame setup.  When booting, it's looking for the ipac, but can't find it because I don't have one yet.  It appears the old configuration was for an IPAC4 PS/2.  Assuming it worked with that setup, am I required to get the older version to retain the mappings/config or will a newer USB version just pick up and know what to do?

I don't want to have to reprogram a new one if I don't have to.

Thanks!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:51:42 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Do I need to use an old PS/2 IPAC?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 03:15:47 pm »
It appears the old configuration was for an IPAC4 PS/2.  Assuming it worked with that setup, am I required to get the older version to retain the mappings/config or will a newer USB version just pick up and know what to do?
IIRC the IPac mappings/config are stored on the IPac, even on those old PS/2 models.

It's easy to reprogram an IPac and MAME won't care if the inputs are coming from an old IPac4, a new IPac4, or a keyboard.

If you have more than 4 buttons for P1/P2, MAME may have been reconfigured and your old IPac4 may have been reprogrammed due to the highlighted overlaps and/or unassigned MAME defaults.
- Regardless of how you proceed, you may want to disable the IPac's shifted function for TAB (P1 Start + P1 Right) to prevent accidental/unauthorized access to the MAME menu system.

You can just plug in a keyboard, fire up MAME on your old hard drive, write down which MAME settings are different than the IPac defaults, and reprogram a new IPac4 accordingly.   :cheers:

Scott

jbserra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 03:54:09 pm »
Thanks for the response/writeup.

Is there still an advantage of using the IPAC over the proliferation of zero delay usb encoders? Looks like there are kits that are all the buttons, joysticks and 4 usb encoders.  Would that setup work just as well or are there limitations?

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 04:28:53 pm »
Thanks for the response/writeup.

Is there still an advantage of using the IPAC over the proliferation of zero delay usb encoders? Looks like there are kits that are all the buttons, joysticks and 4 usb encoders.  Would that setup work just as well or are there limitations?

The primary difference between the Zero Delay Encoders and IPAC are that the first is a gamepad controller and the second is a keyboard encoder. In my opinion, a good keyboard encoder is preferred but others may disagree. MAME can be set up to work with either. Some modern games may only work with gamepads. IPACs can also be easily reprogrammed (change any input to be any key) while Zero Delay Encoders cannot afaik.

Some will argue the cheapness and ease of use installing the Zero Delay Encoders outweighs any negatives they might come with. I can understand that. I still prefer a minipac or ipac.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:51:42 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 07:28:44 pm »
There are always limitations and trade-offs.

1. The kits use cheap, low-quality buttons and sticks.
- You might want to get better quality buttons and sticks from a reputable vendor.   ;)
- If you're spending enough money to make a 4 Player cabinet/pedestal, you might as well spend the few extra dollars more for better controls.

2. The most likely problem that you might run into using four ZD (gamepad) encoders in a 4P panel is the Windows device renumbering issue when the system boots up.
- Instead of player controls being in the usual left-to-right order of "P3  P1  P2  P4" on the panel, Windows might change which encoder is assigned to which gamepad number.
- There are several ways to keep this from happening, but you'll never run into this problem with keyboard encoders.

3. That said, depending on which emulators/games you plan on running, you might need to use gamepads.
---------------
Have you gone through the design process in the FAQ yet?  It asks lots of good questions.   :cheers:
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/FAQ#What_type_of_build_meets_my_needs.3F
---------------
If you don't settle for the ZD kits and want to save money, consider using two Arduino Pro Micros as keyboard encoders instead of an IPac4.

Scott

jbserra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 08:39:02 pm »
I guess I'm in an interesting situation because I have a 4 player jamma Dynamo arcade cabinet with 25" CRT and 4 WICOs joysticks, but only 1 button/player.  I have a hard drive from a mame cabinet with a bunch of emulators and roms already on it.  I found a PC to put it into and it boots up just fine, but only has USB (no PS2).  Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to bring the two together.

I know I'll need more buttons/player and that the computer will need an encoder to talk to everything.  That's about where I'm at :-)

I appreciate the guidance!

jbserra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 01:35:11 pm »
Anyone have an IPAC4 they're looking to get rid of?