Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So who here is getting Metroid Dread?  (Read 8880 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
So who here is getting Metroid Dread?
« on: October 06, 2021, 01:54:57 pm »
I'm actually looking forward to this.  Super Metroid is still one of my all time favorite games and the other 2D entries in this series were very enjoyable.  I am a little worried that Nintendo just isn't able to make a great Metroid game in 2021 but I'm getting it either way.  Reviews put it at about 12 hours with 75-85% completion, which seems short but if it is 12 excellent hours I don't mind.  However, games like Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps have really set the bar high for what a 2D Metroidvania should be...

Anyway, I know what I'm doing this weekend...

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: So who here is getting Metroid Dread?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 09:36:29 am »
It looks good, but I'm holding off for now. We still haven't gotten very far in the Samus Returns 3DS remake, which looks very similar in controls to Dread. Something about the analog movement and especially aiming in that 2D world just never really worked for me. I'm a bit burned out on the Metroid formula by now, TBH. Bloodstained was meh. Hollow Knight was fun, but very repetitive in its challenge. I liked the first Ori a lot, but I stopped playing the Will of the Wisps as it just didn't feel as well designed, probably again because it felt like more of the same. Another little guy with a weak sword? They already had something more interesting than that.

I'm not even excited about the next 3D Metroid. The first Prime game was great, but had a hugely disappointing endgame. Prime 2 was boring, both in theme and level design. Prime 3 was better, but not reaching the heights of the first game. The first one was a masterclass in atmospheric immersion. The gameplay loop was just okay and that's what they seem to be repeating. Maybe the next good Prime game will be in VR? There probably won't be any more good Prime games.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 09:38:43 am by KenToad »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 11:31:51 pm »
Day one purchase for me.  I haven't gotten super far but it is very good.   While it does borrow heavily from the 2 remake it doesn't follow the formula exactly.   Yes you have to counter some enemy types but thankfully not EVERY type like before.   Emmi have taken the place of evolved metroids but it is less of a battle and more of a navigation puzzle.   Typically it isn't hard to kill them once you've actually navigated through their zone, killed the "mother brain" style computer and harvested it's energy source.   True bosses on the other hand are particularly hard.  I've got to do some research on that actually... kind of stuck.  I will agree that the analog aiming is kind of annoying.... thankfully it isn't a requirement in most situations.   

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 02:51:06 pm »
Day one purchase for me.  I haven't gotten super far but it is very good.   While it does borrow heavily from the 2 remake it doesn't follow the formula exactly.   Yes you have to counter some enemy types but thankfully not EVERY type like before.   Emmi have taken the place of evolved metroids but it is less of a battle and more of a navigation puzzle.   Typically it isn't hard to kill them once you've actually navigated through their zone, killed the "mother brain" style computer and harvested it's energy source.   True bosses on the other hand are particularly hard.  I've got to do some research on that actually... kind of stuck.  I will agree that the analog aiming is kind of annoying.... thankfully it isn't a requirement in most situations.
It gets easier to control. I struggled with aiming at first too.  I’m 3 hours in and having a blast with it.  I just beat the second proper boss (which I found to be much easier than the first one).  It plays just like classic Metroid but is smooth as butter and obviously the graphics are much much better.

I also like that it is somewhat challenging.  I die a lot.  Mostly because of not being able to outrun the EMMI and also during boss fights.  General exploration isn’t that tough though.

I’m so glad this series is back.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 07:59:33 pm »
Alright - I played some more and if I had to guess I'd say I'm about 1/2 way through... maybe more?  I don't have a ton of items collected in each area - 40% in one area and less than 20% in all the others - and I can't freely move around the map yet (missing power-ups) so I'm thinking I have a ways to go.  The story is actually pretty good this time!  They are really making an effort to tie all 5 games together, which is nice.

I've been to a few new areas and they are all gorgeous.  Really great atmosphere.  Not much I can say about it that I don't like.  Moving around the world is kind of hard but I just need to learn the map more.  I'm basically lost all the time :lol

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 02:17:41 pm »
Looks like a $10 indie game.  Apparently you can emulate it 100% on a potato, too.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 06:10:29 pm »
I’m loving it. It’s my GOTY for sure. I was skeptical when the trailers came out,  but after 6 hours of playing it I’m glad that my initial skepticism was wrong.

All the moments when you’re being chased is nerve-wracking, has a really good buildup of anxiety that makes the robot encounters that more impactful.  and the times you’re not, it’s got great classic Metroid feels.
Samus’ abilities are aplenty, and I really like how they summarized the story of Fusion right at the beginning.
The Dread story is really taking shape well too.

It might be a bit difficult for some people right off the bat, due to the amount of buttons and abilities but you get accustomed to it eventually.
They spent a lot of effort this time giving Samus more personality in her movements for not having dialogue.  all the small animations she has that livens up her movements. Like when she leans against a wall and puts her hand on the lip or the ledge for example. Very nice contextual subtlety in her poses and motions.

The environments are crazy good! Lots of depth and background animations and details that really puts you in the world. Some gorgeous areas that reminds me of when I first saw Super Metroid’s diverse areas.

In my books it’s in my top 3 metroids. Super, Fusion then Dread.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 06:44:54 am »
Just finished it tonight. Got it done in 9.5 hours total, but I didn’t spend a lot of time getting all the secret items.

There are a few boss fights in the later half of the game that are incredible! Really epic fights that gets you to utilize all the abilities you’ve gained. Truly epic!

After finishing it, I gotta say this is probably my second favorite Metroid now, out shining Fusion. The last half of the game really picked up for me and elevated the gameplay a lot.

The ending was satisfying and didn’t feel like a cheated afterthought. 2021 GOTY for me, hands down.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 08:33:20 am »
Just finished it tonight. Got it done in 9.5 hours total, but I didn’t spend a lot of time getting all the secret items.

There are a few boss fights in the later half of the game that are incredible! Really epic fights that gets you to utilize all the abilities you’ve gained. Truly epic!

After finishing it, I gotta say this is probably my second favorite Metroid now, out shining Fusion. The last half of the game really picked up for me and elevated the gameplay a lot.

The ending was satisfying and didn’t feel like a cheated afterthought. 2021 GOTY for me, hands down.
Awesome - glad you liked it.  I still have 2/7 EMMIs left to kill.  My latest power up is the missile lock on that opens the doors with the green lights.

This is also my GotY for 2021 hands down.  It’s fantastic.  It’s so pretty and fluid.  I haven’t even gone back to find secrets yet but I plan to.  I wish most games were this high quality and 10 hours from start to finish.  I think we have the same rankings.  Super, Dread, Fusion, Zero Mission and Samus Returns.  I still need to play the 3DS remake.

I read that the devs incorporated sequence breaking into the game so that’s going to be fun too.  You can get the morph ball and bombs before the Kraid fight and kill him by launching yourself into his belly button via a hidden block and bombing him from the inside.  Really cool.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:40:52 pm by javeryh »

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 01:32:52 pm »
What do you guys think of AM2R?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 01:41:57 pm »
What do you guys think of AM2R?

I liked what I played of it.  I never finished it though because I don't have a place where I can comfortably play PC games.  Eventually I want to put one under the TV with Launch Box and all the console games loaded up but I've been saying that for 10+ years.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 08:58:30 pm »
I've been sick as a dog all week so I haven't been able to play that much but I agree with the peanut gallery.   Hell this might be the best game in 10 years or so.    This game has been polished to a high sheen.   None of the powerups feel useless and you get them exactly when using the last power up has started to lose it's shine.   Boss battles can be difficult but it never feels like ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- a.i. cheating you, rather you just need to "git gud".   They've somehow managed to perfectly blend the dialogue heavy exposition of fusion with the visual only storytelling of super to make one of the most engaging stories yet.   No ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- plot contrivance like Other M..... this one is done properly.   The need to REALLY search for hidden blocks has returned in a way I haven't seen since the NES original.   This is both a blessing and a curse and probably the only downside I've ran across thus far.   There are a few new areas you enter and need to find a hidden path which could make those not prone to mining everything in every screen scratching their heads on where to go.   I even got tripped up once.   

Just buy the game folks.   This is the first true sequel to super metroid since fusion and zero mission (yeah it's a remake but you know what I mean). 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 09:53:02 pm »
Searching for hidden blocks gets a lot easier later on. That’s all I’ll say ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 11:40:25 pm »
Yeah which makes it more puzzling why there would be required hidden paths so early in the game.   I'm just saying it's going to confuse the noobies.   

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 11:28:17 am »
This is the first true sequel to super metroid since fusion and zero mission (yeah it's a remake but you know what I mean).

You had me at Super Metroid.  I've been following this game for a while and SM is one of my all time favorites.  I was afraid it would be too much about the robots that chase you but it sounds like its balanced.  Christmas is gonna have to come early this year.  ;)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
So who here is getting Metroid Dread?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 05:53:14 pm »
This is the first true sequel to super metroid since fusion and zero mission (yeah it's a remake but you know what I mean).

You had me at Super Metroid.  I've been following this game for a while and SM is one of my all time favorites.  I was afraid it would be too much about the robots that chase you but it sounds like its balanced.  Christmas is gonna have to come early this year.  ;)
I am almost finished and it’s been so good.  It might actually be better than Super Metroid but I’m not sure because that game is basically unbeatable in my book.  The power ups are awesome and the controls are so smooth.  The old school music is good and the level design is top notch.  Boss fights are almost perfect - you die a bunch but learn a little each time until you can win and a lot of the time when you figure it out you don’t even take damage because you’ve memorized the moves and know what to do.  I can’t say enough good things.

I’m going back through each area trying to collect everything before going to the endgame.  Some of the shinespark puzzles are ridiculous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:37:08 pm by javeryh »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2021, 06:21:03 pm »
I was ready to wait until the hype died down, but my son was already swept away and decided to buy Metroid Dread with his chore money.

It's an amazing looking and sounding game. He is annoyed by some of the less obvious pathfinding. I've only played for a few minutes but wow the controls felt nearly perfect. They really did improve the analog aiming from Metroid 2 on 3DS.

We also got the Doom 2016 Switch port and both games seem perfect for the season.

Thanks everyone on the thread for sharing their experiences.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 06:40:20 pm »
I was ready to wait until the hype died down, but my son was already swept away and decided to buy Metroid Dread with his chore money.

It's an amazing looking and sounding game. He is annoyed by some of the less obvious pathfinding. I've only played for a few minutes but wow the controls felt nearly perfect. They really did improve the analog aiming from Metroid 2 on 3DS.

We also got the Doom 2016 Switch port and both games seem perfect for the season.

Thanks everyone on the thread for sharing their experiences.
I finished 100% the other day.  Total time was 14 hours by the game clock but it was way more than that with all the deaths and map checking which doesn’t count.   Game of the Year easy for me.  It was absolutely wonderful.

As for the non-obvious paths… don’t give up.  Chances are if you are turning around you missed something.  The game is actually quite linear - if you come across an elevator or a warp point, the game wants you to take it.  But if you like wandering and straying off the path you can do that as well and you will be rewarded with items.

It’s so good.  My only slight complaint is that once you get a certain late game item you become OP as hell so moving around the map is so easy you can’t possibly die.  But that’s probably intentional so you can go find the items.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 04:58:41 pm »
I beat it last week.   The ending is bizarre yet satisfying.   Now that I've played the whole thing my only real complaint is that there is a particular mini boss that you fight three times towards the end.   The attack patterns aren't changed or anything... it's just the same thing.   Seemed a bit lazy to me but considering how fantastic the game is it's a minor complaint.   

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 05:24:53 pm »
The ending is bizarre yet satisfying.

I have to say I did not see it coming.  But I've been replaying the other games in the series the past few days and the story is actually pretty cohesive all things considered.  I mean, obviously they had no idea in 1986 how it would all unfold but for a story that is now complete spanning 35 years it's not too bad.