Main > Consoles

So who here is getting Metroid Dread?

<< < (2/4) > >>

pbj:
Looks like a $10 indie game.  Apparently you can emulate it 100% on a potato, too.

opt2not:
I’m loving it. It’s my GOTY for sure. I was skeptical when the trailers came out,  but after 6 hours of playing it I’m glad that my initial skepticism was wrong.

All the moments when you’re being chased is nerve-wracking, has a really good buildup of anxiety that makes the robot encounters that more impactful.  and the times you’re not, it’s got great classic Metroid feels.
Samus’ abilities are aplenty, and I really like how they summarized the story of Fusion right at the beginning.
The Dread story is really taking shape well too.

It might be a bit difficult for some people right off the bat, due to the amount of buttons and abilities but you get accustomed to it eventually.
They spent a lot of effort this time giving Samus more personality in her movements for not having dialogue.  all the small animations she has that livens up her movements. Like when she leans against a wall and puts her hand on the lip or the ledge for example. Very nice contextual subtlety in her poses and motions.

The environments are crazy good! Lots of depth and background animations and details that really puts you in the world. Some gorgeous areas that reminds me of when I first saw Super Metroid’s diverse areas.

In my books it’s in my top 3 metroids. Super, Fusion then Dread.

opt2not:
Just finished it tonight. Got it done in 9.5 hours total, but I didn’t spend a lot of time getting all the secret items.

There are a few boss fights in the later half of the game that are incredible! Really epic fights that gets you to utilize all the abilities you’ve gained. Truly epic!

After finishing it, I gotta say this is probably my second favorite Metroid now, out shining Fusion. The last half of the game really picked up for me and elevated the gameplay a lot.

The ending was satisfying and didn’t feel like a cheated afterthought. 2021 GOTY for me, hands down.

javeryh:

--- Quote from: opt2not on October 12, 2021, 06:44:54 am ---Just finished it tonight. Got it done in 9.5 hours total, but I didn’t spend a lot of time getting all the secret items.

There are a few boss fights in the later half of the game that are incredible! Really epic fights that gets you to utilize all the abilities you’ve gained. Truly epic!

After finishing it, I gotta say this is probably my second favorite Metroid now, out shining Fusion. The last half of the game really picked up for me and elevated the gameplay a lot.

The ending was satisfying and didn’t feel like a cheated afterthought. 2021 GOTY for me, hands down.

--- End quote ---
Awesome - glad you liked it.  I still have 2/7 EMMIs left to kill.  My latest power up is the missile lock on that opens the doors with the green lights.

This is also my GotY for 2021 hands down.  It’s fantastic.  It’s so pretty and fluid.  I haven’t even gone back to find secrets yet but I plan to.  I wish most games were this high quality and 10 hours from start to finish.  I think we have the same rankings.  Super, Dread, Fusion, Zero Mission and Samus Returns.  I still need to play the 3DS remake.

I read that the devs incorporated sequence breaking into the game so that’s going to be fun too.  You can get the morph ball and bombs before the Kraid fight and kill him by launching yourself into his belly button via a hidden block and bombing him from the inside.  Really cool.

Grasshopper:
What do you guys think of AM2R?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version