Main > Consoles

So who here is getting Metroid Dread?

(1/4) > >>

javeryh:
I'm actually looking forward to this.  Super Metroid is still one of my all time favorite games and the other 2D entries in this series were very enjoyable.  I am a little worried that Nintendo just isn't able to make a great Metroid game in 2021 but I'm getting it either way.  Reviews put it at about 12 hours with 75-85% completion, which seems short but if it is 12 excellent hours I don't mind.  However, games like Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps have really set the bar high for what a 2D Metroidvania should be...

Anyway, I know what I'm doing this weekend...

KenToad:
It looks good, but I'm holding off for now. We still haven't gotten very far in the Samus Returns 3DS remake, which looks very similar in controls to Dread. Something about the analog movement and especially aiming in that 2D world just never really worked for me. I'm a bit burned out on the Metroid formula by now, TBH. Bloodstained was meh. Hollow Knight was fun, but very repetitive in its challenge. I liked the first Ori a lot, but I stopped playing the Will of the Wisps as it just didn't feel as well designed, probably again because it felt like more of the same. Another little guy with a weak sword? They already had something more interesting than that.

I'm not even excited about the next 3D Metroid. The first Prime game was great, but had a hugely disappointing endgame. Prime 2 was boring, both in theme and level design. Prime 3 was better, but not reaching the heights of the first game. The first one was a masterclass in atmospheric immersion. The gameplay loop was just okay and that's what they seem to be repeating. Maybe the next good Prime game will be in VR? There probably won't be any more good Prime games.

Howard_Casto:
Day one purchase for me.  I haven't gotten super far but it is very good.   While it does borrow heavily from the 2 remake it doesn't follow the formula exactly.   Yes you have to counter some enemy types but thankfully not EVERY type like before.   Emmi have taken the place of evolved metroids but it is less of a battle and more of a navigation puzzle.   Typically it isn't hard to kill them once you've actually navigated through their zone, killed the "mother brain" style computer and harvested it's energy source.   True bosses on the other hand are particularly hard.  I've got to do some research on that actually... kind of stuck.  I will agree that the analog aiming is kind of annoying.... thankfully it isn't a requirement in most situations.   

javeryh:

--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on October 09, 2021, 11:31:51 pm ---Day one purchase for me.  I haven't gotten super far but it is very good.   While it does borrow heavily from the 2 remake it doesn't follow the formula exactly.   Yes you have to counter some enemy types but thankfully not EVERY type like before.   Emmi have taken the place of evolved metroids but it is less of a battle and more of a navigation puzzle.   Typically it isn't hard to kill them once you've actually navigated through their zone, killed the "mother brain" style computer and harvested it's energy source.   True bosses on the other hand are particularly hard.  I've got to do some research on that actually... kind of stuck.  I will agree that the analog aiming is kind of annoying.... thankfully it isn't a requirement in most situations.

--- End quote ---
It gets easier to control. I struggled with aiming at first too.  I’m 3 hours in and having a blast with it.  I just beat the second proper boss (which I found to be much easier than the first one).  It plays just like classic Metroid but is smooth as butter and obviously the graphics are much much better.

I also like that it is somewhat challenging.  I die a lot.  Mostly because of not being able to outrun the EMMI and also during boss fights.  General exploration isn’t that tough though.

I’m so glad this series is back.

javeryh:
Alright - I played some more and if I had to guess I'd say I'm about 1/2 way through... maybe more?  I don't have a ton of items collected in each area - 40% in one area and less than 20% in all the others - and I can't freely move around the map yet (missing power-ups) so I'm thinking I have a ways to go.  The story is actually pretty good this time!  They are really making an effort to tie all 5 games together, which is nice.

I've been to a few new areas and they are all gorgeous.  Really great atmosphere.  Not much I can say about it that I don't like.  Moving around the world is kind of hard but I just need to learn the map more.  I'm basically lost all the time :lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version