Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Operatiojn Thunderbolt Left & Right Guns?  (Read 2006 times)

tommyinajar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
Operatiojn Thunderbolt Left & Right Guns?
« on: October 06, 2021, 07:50:26 am »
I'm mameing a cp with 2 operation thunderbolt guns, is there a right and left gun and if so how do you know? I'm sure it's obvious, but these are getting scarce and dont want two lefts...

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: Operatiojn Thunderbolt Left & Right Guns?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 10:24:06 am »
I don't believe so. I got one sitting in my garage that I haven't worked on at all, but the guns look and feel identical. They seem to have the exact same movement range. Each gun is angled slightly inward to compensate for it's offset from the center.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:36:37 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 10:53:35 am »
is there a right and left gun and if so how do you know?
Look at pages 4 and 5 of the manual here.

Index 5 is the start buttons.
- The red one is P/N 140-901012.
- The blue one is P/N 140-901013.
- Different part numbers for similar but slightly different parts.

Index 4 is the gun assembly P/N 140-909000.
- Only one part number so the two gun assemblies are identical.   ;D

Scott

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 11:27:13 am »
Photo - if you need more, let me know.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 03:04:39 pm »
 So they are different but the same? LOL So Im gathering the shells re the same, so the first arcade know it all jackass says to me "Why did you use two left guns??" :)

I'm using the opticals if at all possible, and I NEED the rumble, but I also just read  the optics nd vibration are the most common faliure-True? Any optic slash rumble tips for hooking these up or swapping out for more current parts.

PS I am kind of bummed, I cudda sworn these were steel, not plastic.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 03:32:24 pm »
I don't believe so. I got one sitting in my garage that I haven't worked on at all, but the guns look and feel identical. They seem to have the exact same movement range. Each gun is angled slightly inward to compensate for it's offset from the center.

I have to ask if you don'y mind me asking (PM if u want if you're selling in the future) Where you found it, when, and if it worked or maybe the price? I looked for a working one a while back, now you can barely find a compleete gun, Left 1/2 of the shells are being atteped sold at over $100

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:36:37 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 04:17:41 pm »
So they are different but the same? LOL So Im gathering the shells re the same, so the first arcade know it all jackass says to me "Why did you use two left guns??" :)
They are mounted on the panel at slightly different angles, but the guns themselves are the same.

The left and right guns can be swapped, just like you can swap P1 joystick and P2 joystick on a typical 2P panel.

I'm using the opticals if at all possible, and I NEED the rumble, but I also just read  the optics nd vibration are the most common faliure-True? Any optic slash rumble tips for hooking these up or swapping out for more current parts.
Operation Wolf used optical guns, but Operation Thunderbolt and later titles in the series used positional guns.

The X-axis and Y-axis potentiometers in positional guns function like an analog joystick so you'll need an analog encoder to use them in your MAME setup.
- SERIES -
1. Operation Wolf (1987)
2. Operation Thunderbolt (1988)
3. Operation Wolf 3 (1994)
4. Operation Tiger (1998)

Scott

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 04:30:51 pm »
Yep, Scott is right, they are not true "Lightguns". They just an x/y controlled via pots.

As for mine, I bought the entire machine at an auction. There is a complete set of guns currently up on ebay for $90 + 25 shipping. Only one is pictured, but it is both included in the listing. I'd link it, but I don't want to promote the listing in case you are seriously interested.