Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Not working on Windows 11  (Read 6817 times)

tisurame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 11:10:59 am
  • I'm a llama!
Not working on Windows 11
« on: October 05, 2021, 08:08:42 am »
After installing CRT_Emudriver, Windows 11 is rejecting any resolution created by VMMaker.

Any luck trying to get 240p from Windows 11?

I'm using a Radeon HD 5450.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Not working on Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 10:48:13 am »
Windows 11 supposedly needs a DirectX 12 video card. Your HD 5450 is DX 11 only. It shouldn't work at all.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 07:24:41 am »
GroovyMAME PC will still stay on W10 until the end of time then :P

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 03:10:05 am »
tisurame, windows 11 was released just two days ago. Does it make sense to jump right to new windows ?

alex2005

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:21:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 02:27:39 pm »
Just to share, it works with a Sapphire HD 7850.
I had a lot of headaches in the past to upgrade from W7 to W10.
But from 10 to 11 it has been all smooth, so far everything works.
I hope I dont need to edit this post in a few days to say I was wrong  :laugh2:
Probably it doesn't make sense to upgrade at all, but was just curious to try  :timebomb:

tisurame

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 03:07:50 pm »
Windows 11 supposedly needs a DirectX 12 video card. Your HD 5450 is DX 11 only. It shouldn't work at all.

You are right. It's working now with my Radeon R7 240. Thanks!

I would prefer to use the HD 5450 since it works more smoothly with CRT Emudriver (when using the HD 5450 I can easily switch resolutions using Windows display settings, but when using the R7 240 it barely works, and sometimes it will switch to a 31Khz resolution instead).

The solution is to use a command line software like Display Changer and create a shortcut with the following command: dccmd.exe -monitor="\\.\DISPLAY8" -width=320 -height=240

If I use Windows display settings to choose 320x240 it will select 31Khz instead of 15Khz.

It always worked fine with my Radeon HD 5450. But it's a only a matter of convenience. I'm sure Radeon R7 240 will do the job.

tisurame, windows 11 was released just two days ago. Does it make sense to jump right to new windows ?

It's a free update, so it's worth for me. Everything is working like it should.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 02:45:54 am »
Ok, it's free but even Microsoft does not want to push new system customers computers at start. In my opinion it's too new to jump it right away. Personally I did tests on two computers at work but after 3 days I would not say that everything works as it should. System needs more testing.

CRTFTW

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 09:18:27 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 06:19:13 pm »

That's weird though, if they let you install drivers for the 5450, why wouldn't they let you do EDID overrides? It's not like the desktop is running in DX12.

I have a 5450 and was thinking about installing Win 11 just to see how well it handles low resolutions, but it sounds like I'll be in for a bunch of headaches right from the start.

tisurame

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 09:20:42 pm »

That's weird though, if they let you install drivers for the 5450, why wouldn't they let you do EDID overrides? It's not like the desktop is running in DX12.

I have a 5450 and was thinking about installing Win 11 just to see how well it handles low resolutions, but it sounds like I'll be in for a bunch of headaches right from the start.

Please, let me know if you have better luck using your 5450 on Windows 11.

The drivers installed just fine. It just rejected any custom resolution.

CRTFTW

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 06:14:54 pm »

Please, let me know if you have better luck using your 5450 on Windows 11.

The drivers installed just fine. It just rejected any custom resolution.

Just tried and its working great.

But what I did first is that I disabled Windows automatic driver install. And I also blocked the specific driver update with the "wushowhide.diagcab" troubleshooter program from microsoft, just in case Windows ignored my global setting. Then I uninstalled the driver first with Device Manager, then DDU. Then I installed Emudriver.

Also, I added the resolutions with CRU, because I'm already familiar with that. Not sure if VMMaker resolutions would take. I need to learn how to make those too haha.

And one side note, I am having trouble in performance with one game: Steel Assault. I'm curious if your Radeon 240 can play that without stuttering. I'm wondering if it's because the game is borderless windowed, and maybe Windows uses DX12 to do that? I noticed the game is using 0% GPU, making me think it could be running in software rendering mode.

bjt42

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2022, 06:24:37 am
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 10:55:50 am »
And one side note, I am having trouble in performance with one game: Steel Assault. I'm curious if your Radeon 240 can play that without stuttering. I'm wondering if it's because the game is borderless windowed, and maybe Windows uses DX12 to do that? I noticed the game is using 0% GPU, making me think it could be running in software rendering mode.

Steel Assault is working OK for me (i3 4570T, ATI HD5450). However I had to used windowed mode, as fullscreen mode has some pretty nasty stuttering, maybe that's the problem you were seeing.
With windowed mode set to 320x240 and a 320x240 screen mode, the window title and border isn't visible anyway.

tisurame

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 08:26:03 pm »

Steel Assault is working OK for me (i3 4570T, ATI HD5450). However I had to used windowed mode, as fullscreen mode has some pretty nasty stuttering, maybe that's the problem you were seeing.
With windowed mode set to 320x240 and a 320x240 screen mode, the window title and border isn't visible anyway.

Are you also using Windows 11?

If you have one working on the same PC, you can use a more modern GPU to render the game.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:33:45 pm by tisurame »

CRTFTW

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 02:25:50 pm »

It's fullscreen mode is actually borderless fullscreen. I noticed I also get stuttering in Windows menus and in browsers occasionally. So my uneducated guess is it's something to do with old GPUs and the Windows desktop compositor in Win 11.

The way I fixed it was to use Special K to force the game into exclusive fullscreen mode. Also, I enabled the "sleepless render thread" option.

My hunch is that either of those options would fix the issue, but I enabled both to be on the safe side.

One major bonus to all this is that I discovered Special K has an "auto low-latency" mode that significantly reduces input lag by delaying the render thread. As long as you have the GPU overhead, and the game is fairly optimized, it should work flawlessly. I'm going to start using it on all my games on this PC, since even an HD 5450 can 240p games at 100's if not 1,000's of FPS.

If you have one working on the same PC, you can use a more modern GPU to render the game.

GPU power isn't the issue with Steel Assault. I'm pretty sure that the GPU is basically downclocking too much because the game is too easy to render. This leads to stuttering as GPU utilization jumps between 0% and 15% constantly.

By doing the fixes above, my GPU will stay closer to a steady 10-15%.

On top of that, rendering on a separate GPU typically causes an extra frame of input lag, in my experience. Also, frame pacing can frequently become a problem, which would put me back at square one with this issue.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:27:53 pm by CRTFTW »

extracampine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 06:25:38 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 04:26:32 am »
Hi, bit of an old thread, but I was wondering what the current advice is here. I have a Radeon HD5450 connected via an UMSA to a Sony PVM-20M2MDE, and everything was working relatively well a few months ago. Main video card is NVidia.

Now, when I try and install modes with VMMaker, it says "rejected by driver" for each mode. I would rather not downgrade my Windows setup if possible. I would be willing to swap the HD5450 if necessary. Any advice on how best to get this working would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:28:22 am by extracampine »