Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL Encore questions  (Read 5891 times)

rooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2021, 01:31:15 pm
    • ShaunRoot.net
JVL Encore questions
« on: October 04, 2021, 10:33:08 am »
I recently purchased a JVL Encore that would not boot up. I put in a new SD card with HD3 in it and now it boots up and plays fine. There is no security key in the machine, but it's for home use, so free play is fine.

Every other time I boot the machine, I get the message, "ERROR: alsa modules for ALSA". I think maybe this has to do with the clock constantly being reset to January 1, 2007. Every time I set the date in the config, it resets itself back to January 1, 2007. I thought it might be the battery, which I replaced, but if that is the problem, machines will usually save the date until you reboot. In this case, the clock resets itself immediately when I hit the save button. Does not having the security key keep you from saving the date?

Is there a better way to shut the machine down other than just flipping the switch?

The joystick is super wonky. I calibrated it, but it still barely registers. Is this a common thing? Does it likely need a replacement or just a cleaning or something else?

I don't have ethernet hooked up at the moment. Is there anything I can do with that, like backup the hard drive, add artwork for the advertisements, or any other cool things?

The machine appears to support WIFI, but it doesn't have the hardware installed. Can I cram a small USB wifi device in there or does it need something specific?

Is there any official or unofficial way to play tournaments these days?

Is there a legitimate way to buy a  security key?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: JVL Encore questions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 12:36:03 pm »
I recently purchased a JVL Encore that would not boot up. I put in a new SD card with HD3 in it and now it boots up and plays fine. There is no security key in the machine, but it's for home use, so free play is fine.

Every other time I boot the machine, I get the message, "ERROR: alsa modules for ALSA". I think maybe this has to do with the clock constantly being reset to January 1, 2007. Every time I set the date in the config, it resets itself back to January 1, 2007. I thought it might be the battery, which I replaced, but if that is the problem, machines will usually save the date until you reboot. In this case, the clock resets itself immediately when I hit the save button. Does not having the security key keep you from saving the date?

this is unusual, but take note, there is a couple batteries in this unit. (computer/IO board) be sure to change them all then reset the bios. see if that fixes it.

Is there a better way to shut the machine down other than just flipping the switch?

no. actually it's designed to NOT be turned off at all. it's meant to run all the time out in the wild. while turning it of doesn't usually damage anything, it sometime can, resulting in having to reload the software.

The joystick is super wonky. I calibrated it, but it still barely registers. Is this a common thing? Does it likely need a replacement or just a cleaning or something else?

the joysticks where all trash, this is why they where eliminated later on in all bartop units. someone spills the tiniest little bit of something on them and they stop working properly. about the only thing you can do is try and disassemble the pad, and clean out the pots with contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.

I don't have ethernet hooked up at the moment. Is there anything I can do with that, like backup the hard drive, add artwork for the advertisements, or any other cool things?

not a thing. ads are handled through the operator panel if you press the button and look through the menus.

The machine appears to support WIFI, but it doesn't have the hardware installed. Can I cram a small USB wifi device in there or does it need something specific?

no such system exists any longer. the company that made the system (JVL) has moved onto other things and abandoned the hardware, consequently all server services have ceased.

Is there any official or unofficial way to play tournaments these days?

no. see above.

Is there a legitimate way to buy a  security key?

they are not likely available new. you would need to start contacting distributors and see if they might have something still kicking around. i haven't the foggiest where you are located at, but we have previously ordered from Betson, Playdium, starburst (now player one), BMI, etc. But chances are pretty low.

see the issue is, this was the last of this unit, and as such...most of them where sold off. to get a premium for a machine that is basically worthless, you'd put in the last/latest version you could to squeek out that last couple hundo out of it. so not much parts and whatnot remains.

your best bet might be to run across a key being sold off used as parts from a damaged or otherwise unrepairable machine. in which case, eBay is going to be your best chance to get an hd3 key.

rooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2021, 01:31:15 pm
    • ShaunRoot.net
Re: JVL Encore questions
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 01:31:15 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the amazing info!

I replaced both batteries in the machine and it still didn't work, but I figured it out. There is a bug in the JVL software that will not save dates past 2018. However, you can go into the BIOS and set the date there and everything will be fine.